GDT: Habs vs Leafs

dlbalr

Pretty decent game I thought all things considered. The powerplay is in desperate need of Markov and Cammy. Eller was very impressive, there were a few times where he was wide open but his linemates didn't feed him. I think Price played well and won't be a concern. Gomez wearing number 11 is weird and will take some getting used to. Subban is quickly becoming my favourite player. I am really liking the Boyd signing. I wonder if there's something I am missing about Darche. The fact he is on the team instead of White or anybody puzzles me AND how he was on the ice at the end of the game.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

P.K. did not have a great game. I didn't notice Pyatt, even Gionta was a little invisible till the third. Max had a great game, and AK really looked interested. Hey, I sorta called Boyd's goal :) check my previous pre-game post!!

Oh, Eller was amazing, he made an impression every time he was on the ice, unbelievable. Fantastic acquisition.

If you are a believer in corsi it would agree with your assessment.

Pouliot finished the night as a +9, Eller was a +9 as well.

Is there a site out there that publishes game-by-game Corsi ratings? I've always been intrigued by the stat but I can't find very much Habs-specific stuff out there.

Also, Mandy's 3 Stars of the Night: http://www.habsworld.net/article.php?id=2220

Is there a site out there that publishes game-by-game Corsi ratings? I've always been intrigued by the stat but I can't find very much Habs-specific stuff out there.

Also, Mandy's 3 Stars of the Night: http://www.habsworld.net/article.php?id=2220

Not sure. Was thinking of doing it at EOTP.

It gives a different perspective to the game.

I just rewatched the game to take a second look at Price and he was really solid. Interestingly enough the Leafs official scorer

helped his SV% by registering two phantom shots.

Healey was lipping off about him going down early on the first goal (nonsense) and the third goal. The third goal he was down

early, but I think it was because of a poor choice of technique leading up to the slot opportunity.

I counted 13 scoring opportunities for the Leafs, most of which Price handled very easily.

Edited by Wamsley01

It was good to read all the positive comments with which I agree, when I took note of the player and effort. Wouldn't it be wonderful to have AK really take it personally all year and emerge? Glad to see Eller play well. Truth is, I generally liked what I saw tonight and think we are a better team than last year. Good for them! :clap:

Yup, good game. The only real stinker out there was Darche, who I would not be surprised to see back riding the iron lung before too long.

In the category of good news:

-Price. Quietly confident, poised, strong. A very, very reassuring performance if you ask me.

-Spacek. Looked pretty good to me, notwithstanding the gaffe on the winning goal. Finally back at his natural side, he was much more assertive on the PP especially. Could turn out to be a bit of a secret weapon for us this season.

-Eller. Rangy, creative, good vision and strong on his feet. He looks like a bona fide top-6 prospect at this point. Don't wanna jinx him though.

-Subban. Yes, a few dodgy moments but damn, he is strong as a bull and makes things happen. And he can just tirelessly eat up minutes. He will help us much more than he will hurt us. No fear of a jinx here. This guy will be an absolute stud defenceman in the NHL.

-Good PK, solid chances on the PP.

-The depth. In stark contrast to early last season, Lapierre, Boyd, Pyatt, Halpern, etc., all looked ready to contribute in every facet of play. We have hugely improved from where we started 2009 in terms of the bottom 6. Those who say we've stood pat except for losing Halak simply haven't done their homework.

-Coaching: ample use of the young guys even as the clock wound down. Kudos.

Not so good news:

-Gomez and Gionta were invisible until the third period. I'll bet there was a coaching adjustment, but in a tight game we need more from them for 60 minutes especially with our missing components. I didn't think much of Plekanec's game either.

-Kostitsyn and Pouliot. The former did nothing, the latter was a liability at times. This does not auger well.

-Darche. One more ass-dragging game like that and Ryan White should have himself a job.

-Breakdowns. I thought we settled down after the 1st but defensive brain-cramps cost us this game. As Wamsley points out, though, the return of our top 2 defencemen will hugely help.

Lots to like. Here's to a new season! :hlogo:

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

I was ecstatic with the way our third and fourth lines played at both ends of the ice. Miles ahead of what they were last year.

Healey is an idiot. Price had to go down on that first goal. A shot coming from the point with a guy standing alone right in front of him. What did you want Price to do? It was a lucky tip. Price was great and didn't look shaky to me at all.

Eller looked so good that I wonder if JM will keep that line together and put Cammy with Gomez and Gionta instead? I even thought Kostitsyn looked great at times.

Subban was out of position quite a bit but what a joy to watch. His puck handling and movement skills are top notch and he was laying people out with heavy hits. Our defense is going to be pretty strong once Markov and Hamrlik get back.

Even though we lost to "Canada's team" (FU CBC!) We have a better team this year than last and I'm excited about it :clap:

Can't wait to see Subban and Markov together on the PP...

Generally liked what I seen. Didn't see enough shots from in close. Need a trigger man hitched to Eller. Kost. could do it but he spends to much time on the perimeter. As dumb as this might sound, Ryder would do well with Eller. I think in Eller you are looking at the next Brian Trotter. Ditto the previous comments about Subban. Boyd is better and faster than I thought.

Well i thought there were some good things not as much as most of you. The defensive zone was horrible. Does any Dman know how to use the body. Way too many turnovers and way too many lost battles. The top 2 lines didn't get anything going offensively, especially the PP. O'Byrne has no business in the NHL.

Boyd, Eller, Subban all stand outs for me.

Alot of average efforts.

:P

I was ecstatic with the way our third and fourth lines played at both ends of the ice. Miles ahead of what they were last year.

Healey is an idiot. Price had to go down on that first goal. A shot coming from the point with a guy standing alone right in front of him. What did you want Price to do? It was a lucky tip. Price was great and didn't look shaky to me at all.

Eller looked so good that I wonder if JM will keep that line together and put Cammy with Gomez and Gionta instead? I even thought Kostitsyn looked great at times.

Subban was out of position quite a bit but what a joy to watch. His puck handling and movement skills are top notch and he was laying people out with heavy hits. Our defense is going to be pretty strong once Markov and Hamrlik get back.

Even though we lost to "Canada's team" (FU CBC!) We have a better team this year than last and I'm excited about it :clap:

HAHAHAHHA!

Edited by Toronthab

Some good, some not as much. Too aggressive in the first... you knew the Leafs would get some chances, you just can't give them freebies.

It's easy to forget that Gomez and Gill are not early season performers to say the least. Gomez's career stats are something like a point per game from January through the playoffs... while his early season stuff is where his salary looks completely ridiculous.

A 3-2 loss in an even game isn't really disappointing. The PK was awesome. The PP had some chances, but was inconsistent.

After that 2nd Leafs goal, the Habs had an advantage in play, but that's to be expected. They definitely should have come out with a more counterattack strategy so they didn't fall behind 2-0, though.

Good game. Not much to say. Interesting that Martin chose Gorges as the one to step up in Markov and Hamrlik's absence. He led the team with over 26 minutes.

Not sure. Was thinking of doing it at EOTP.

It gives a different perspective to the game.

I know I'd be interested in game-by-game Hab Corsi stats. As you say, it is a different way to look at the players' performances. I find it distinguishes the 'good quiet game' from the 'bad quiet game'. For example, Pouliot - Some feel he was invisible but he was +9 in Corsi last night which means he helped the cause at least.

Good game. Not much to say. Interesting that Martin chose Gorges as the one to step up in Markov and Hamrlik's absence. He led the team with over 26 minutes.

What was nice to see was that the 3rd D pairing got at least decent minutes (O'Byrne ~15, Picard 12.5) which meant we only saw one d-man getting more than 25, something we couldn't say a lot last year. Speaking of Picard, he was the only Hab to not get a hit last night, a category Montreal actually won 34-27.

Full stats if anyone's interested: http://www.nhl.com/scores/htmlreports/20102011/ES020001.HTM

Like every one else, I was qite impressed with Eller last night and think I will be happy that I drafted him late in my Fantasy League. Now we have two players who may bring home the rookie of the year award! If Lars continues to play like he did last night I will understand the Halak trade all the better.

Price looked a bit shaky to me in the first half of the game, but he settled down and played a solid back half. I have faith he will quiet alot of people by the end of the month. O'Byrne still scares me whenever he is on the ice and Darche is only a couple more outings like last night away from the dogpound.

Overall it was a decent game that if we had iced our full squad we would have won. Just imagine the outcome if we had Markov, Hammer and Cammy in the lineup and they were missing Phaneuf, Beauchemin and Kessel! Yep, leaf fans sure have alot to be happy about today :rolleyes: Then again, Hockey Night in Toronto would have made sure that everyone watching knew how depleted they were and that it was unfair to expect an even matchup. I didn't hear them mention how much stronger the Habs will be with a full lineup once. RDS from here on in. At least I can't understand most of the foolishness the French bozos spew....

I know I'd be interested in game-by-game habs Corsi stats. As you say, it is a different way to look at the players' performances. I find it distinguishes the 'good quiet game' from the 'bad quiet game'. For example, Pouliot - Some feel he was invisible but he was +9 in Corsi last night which means he helped the cause at least.

I don't fully understand this stat.

http://www.fiveholefanatics.ca/2010/02/on-corsi.html

"(shots+blocked shots+goals+missed shots FOR - SH+BLK+G+MS AGAINST)"

What's a blocked shot FOR? Pouliot blocking a shot? Or is it Pouliot having his shot blocked? What's a missed shot AGAINST?

Or maybe some of these variables only apply to TEAM CORSI and not individual CORSI?

Last night, Pouliot had 2 shots that were blocked and... not much else that I can see. How do you get +9?

We lost but it's okay. We'll make up for it sooner rather than later. With the exception of Darche, I feel than most players had a good game. Most importantly that includes Price, even tough he was weak on Kessel's goal IMO. I'm still confident about this season!

Yeah, I know, wasn't it a Leaf love-fest on Hockey Night? With those fancy sketches of the new players, hoopla about Phaneuf's captaincy and Cherry's usual bias, beyond Hughson and Simpson who are always excellent, nothing about the broadcast felt objective.

As for Darche, he was indeed underwhelming. However, he is a player who, for the first time in his life, has a one-way deal and does not have to constantly look over his shoulder at who might take his place on the farm or fear riding the buses after two games. It's a completely new mind-set for him and he can be forgiven if it takes a game or two to adapt. Having said that, if White continues to shine in Hamilton, he will earn himself a quick call-up, although it may be Pouliot or Kostitsyn who is forced to sit a game. Frankly, at least Pouliot used his body a bit, I did not see Andrei go to the net all night. I kind of wish they would get rid of him, he just does not play hard and when he does lay a hit, it tends to be opportunistic and borderline.

Edited by l.moustakas

Yeah, I know, wasn't it a Leaf love-fest on Hockey Night? With those fancy sketches of the new players, hoopla about Phaneuf's captaincy and Cherry's usual bias, beyond Hughson and Simpson who are always excellent, nothing about the broadcast felt objective.

As for Darche, he was indeed underwhelming. However, he is a player who, for the first time in his life, has a one-way deal and does not have to constantly look over his shoulder at who might take his place on the farm or fear riding the buses after two games. It's a completely new mind-set for him and he can be forgiven if it takes a game or two to adapt. Having said that, if White continues to shine in Hamilton, he will earn himself a quick call-up, although it may be Pouliot or Kostitsyn who is forced to sit a game. Frankly, at least Pouliot used his body a bit, I did not see Andrei go to the net all night. I kind of wish they would get rid of him, he just does not play hard and when he does lay a hit, it tends to be opportunistic and borderline.

The difference between those guys and Darche is that they have talent and he doesn't. If he is not an honest player then he is no player at all. if I'm the Habs I give him no more than two more games like that before I subtract him from the lineup and give him 'The Talk.'

What's a blocked shot FOR? Pouliot blocking a shot? Or is it Pouliot having his shot blocked? What's a missed shot AGAINST?

Or maybe some of these variables only apply to TEAM CORSI and not individual CORSI?

Last night, Pouliot had 2 shots that were blocked and... not much else that I can see. How do you get +9?

If Pouliot and his linemates take a shot, miss the net and have three shots blocked those on the ice will be credited with a +5.

If the same 3 players give up 3 shots, block 3 they are a -6.

Their corsi number for that shift would be -1.

It is a flawed stat in that it doesn't take into account strength of opponent or difficulty of shot. It does give you a good indication

of zone time though if the numbers are slanted too greatly.

The difference between those guys and Darche is that they have talent and he doesn't. If he is not an honest player then he is no player at all. if I'm the Habs I give him no more than two more games like that before I subtract him from the lineup and give him 'The Talk.'

He definitely can't take that penalty. Guys on the bottom 6 are just supposed to come out an even with no minor penalties taken. If he does that, no problem. He isn't there to create.

That said, everyone knows he isn't playing next game. He's the 13th forward, Cammalleri is back, no issue going forward.

As Wamsley explains, it's a possession stat. Pouliot, when he was on the ice, was in the opposition's end for 9 more shooting events than there were in the Habs zone. So he was a positive force out there in terms of where the puck was on the ice.

I know I'd be interested in game-by-game habs Corsi stats. As you say, it is a different way to look at the players' performances. I find it distinguishes the 'good quiet game' from the 'bad quiet game'. For example, Pouliot - Some feel he was invisible but he was +9 in Corsi last night which means he helped the cause at least.

Are the CORSI stats going to show the missed passes, bad positioning and overall lack of driving hard to the net that was apparent by anyone watching him?? There was a reason why Darche and Moen replaced him on the G&G line.