What's up with Gionta & Gomez?

JGC21

Regarding the G & G line I believe that they must be split up. They worked well playing together for the Devils but thats many years ago now. Gionta and Gomez need to rediscover themselves again shed old skin if you know what I mean.

Kostitsyn-Gomez-Cammelleri

Eller/Pouliot-plekanec-Gionta

I wouldnt change anything till we go on a big losing steak.....y miss with things and risk pissing players off?

Holy mixed messages, Batman! :lol:

No, I agree with your general analysis. But if that analysis is warranted, then the nervousness of your last sentence is not. The issue here is just that 8 games is not a sufficient data pool from which to declare that these Habs have 'finally raised the bar.' If they play another 30 like this, then unlike yourself I may actually start to relax... ^_^

The last line is just emotional damage inflicted over the last 10 years.

Once burnt, twice shy.

I didn't read all the posts but why doesn't JM split them up instead of looking for someone to play with them? Move them to different lines until they smarten up and start producing

Yea Martin sticks with the winning lineup and only changes when they lose. Which is smart i guess. Those 2 aren't playing that badly just no results. Same with Cammy, he should have like 6-7 goals already.

I do prefer Pouliot on that line currently. I expect as Eller gets better defensively he'll start getting PP time and may move up as needed. He seems much better as a center.

Lapierre and Spacek have been the disappointments for me. Too bad Markov is not a Rd. i like the Subban Picard pairing. They are generally very solid. Lapierre just hasn't been physical enough for me, that's his job. Moen can't do it all.

May i say i was completely wrong on Pleks, i was one who advocated trading him last year since i didn't think he would resign. He has been a monster all year. So bar you can change you signature. i was wrong about that.

Regarding the G & G line I believe that they must be split up.

I'm not particularly worried. Gionta has shot around 10% for his career and is currently below 3%. I don't believe he has forgotten how to shoot. Goal scoring is streaky and he's taking good shots. At some point soon, it'll likely average out with him scoring two goals in a game and another couple over a five game stretch. And just like that, he'll be back on pace for 30+...

I'm not particularly worried. Gionta has shot around 10% for his career and is currently below 3%. I don't believe he has forgotten how to shoot. Goal scoring is streaky and he's taking good shots. At some point soon, it'll likely average out with him scoring two goals in a game and another couple over a five game stretch. And just like that, he'll be back on pace for 30+...

Your right it is still early to worry and that Gionta is a leader and goal scorer who will eventually find his scoring pace. I'm concerned that giving Gionta the captaincy may be distracting his focus. I also believe that Gionta and Gomez need to play with other players to renew their spunk. I would strongly consider calling up Pulashaj from hamilton and try him with Gomez. :rolleyes:

Your right it is still early to worry and that Gionta is a leader and goal scorer who will eventually find his scoring pace. I'm concerned that giving Gionta the captaincy may be distracting his focus. I also believe that Gionta and Gomez need to play with other players to renew their spunk. I would strongly consider calling up Pulashaj from hamilton and try him with Gomez. :rolleyes:

My point is more that I don't think anything really has to change, at least for Gionta to get going. He's getting a ton of good shots. Some times they just don't go in. The last NYI game was a good example of the power of a random deflection. So Gionta only has one goal in his first 36 shots. As an 11% career shooter, he's just as likely to get 5 goals on his next 36 shots and see things average out, without changing a thing in his game...

Yeah same here. Gionta will eventualy succeed. It's a matter of time. Hell... I call a hat trick against Florida for our Captain !!!

Makes sense, I always have to bench Gio in my pools on Saturdays.

G&G are dickin around. They aren't going to the net. They don't have that other winger with skill going to the net. When Pou plays there, he's perimeter. Right now, the GG boys are perimeter. When they had success last season, one of the two attacked the goalie. Actually, kinda like Gio did last game when he almost had two goals. (Talk about a snakebit player...) Problem is that those chances came on the PP (okay, not a problem, per se) and not 5v5 - where they're just perimeter guys right now.

I'm not sure why people want Bieksa with the team playing 'team' defense as they are. Personally, I'd like to see a big beast on GG's wing. Someone to park on the goalie's doorstep. There's the team's biggest issue right now, IMO; one top-six beast. Maybe Colton Orr would run goalies for Montreal. :P

At least the team is fun to watch - the few times I've flicked the channel. Haven't seen effective speed like that in well over a generation.