GDT: November 9th, 2010 - Canucks @Habs

bar

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Am I ever happy with the young Mr Price.

What a difference with this guy. I used to fear icing attempts that found the net. Good for him, and good for the gang that stood by him. He sure seems on track.

Maturity. I think being benched for Halak forced him to abandon his sense of entitlement and grow up.

His positioning and footwork indicate a summer of hard work.

This season he is effortlessly directing pucks into the corner with his pads and stick. Very impressed.

Edited by Wamsley01

The only thing that seems to be worse is handlling the puck.. he seems to turn the puck over at least once a game.. Not sure why.

well earned shutout tonight.

Maturity. I think being benched for Halak forced him to abandon his sense of entitlement and grow up.

His positioning and footwork indicate a summer of hard work.

This season he is effortlessly directing pucks into the corner with his pads and stick. Very impressed.

The only thing that seems to be worse is handlling the puck.. he seems to turn the puck over at least once a game.. Not sure why.

well earned shutout tonight.

I lived through Roy's adventures, I can live through Carey's :)

Ridiculous save at the end to preserve the shutout.

I am particularly pleased by this win partly because I had to listen to a day's worth of commentary on Vancouver radio to the effect that the Halak trade was sheer lunacy by the Habs (no consideration given, of course, to the salary cap issues whereby re-signing Halak might have meant losing Plekanec, and the total minimization of the value of Eller and Shultz as prospects). From where I stand Price just issued a big f*ck you to the smug know-nothings in the Vancouver media :lol:

I am particularly pleased by this win partly because I had to listen to a day's worth of commentary on Vancouver radio to the effect that the Halak trade was sheer lunacy by the Habs (no consideration given, of course, to the salary cap issues whereby re-signing Halak might have meant losing Plekanec, and the total minimization of the value of Eller and Shultz as prospects). From where I stand Price just issued a big f*ck you to the smug know-nothings in the Vancouver media :lol:

Or the fact that they didn't trade Halak and go with Dan Cloutier.

A lot of people will be eating crow on Price this season.

Or the fact that they didn't trade Halak and go with Dan Cloutier.

A lot of people will be eating crow on Price this season.

Hey, Halak is doing amazingly well. More power to him. But Price has also been excellent, and he's cheaper. But I won't drone on about lazy media, I've bored people enough with that particular rant.

The good news is that today's coverage of the Habs out here generally had a respectful tone regarding the team and organization as a whole (Don Taylor, who I generally think is OK, referred to the Halak trade as a 'mistake by a team that doesn't make a lot of them' - so you can read that as a backhanded compliment to the Habs, in a way). We're getting some respect nowadays. Not a ton, but some. Makes a nice change.

Hey, Halak is doing amazingly well. More power to him. But Price has also been excellent, and he's cheaper. But I won't drone on about lazy media, I've bored people enough with that particular rant.

The good news is that today's coverage of the Habs out here generally had a respectful tone regarding the team and organization as a whole (Don Taylor, who I generally think is OK, referred to the Halak trade as a 'mistake by a team that doesn't make a lot of them' - so you can read that as a backhanded compliment to the Habs, in a way). We're getting some respect nowadays. Not a ton, but some. Makes a nice change.

I'd more say a "TBD mistake"...

You're telling me, he is absolutely killing me in my hockey pool

Quick, get rid of him! If you're luck is anything like mine, that means he will immediately go on a scoring streak. :rolleyes:

Quick, get rid of him! If you're luck is anything like mine, that means he will immediately go on a scoring streak. :rolleyes:

When you can get the defense chipping in with a few goals it goes a long way in negating some of the woes up front. You couple that with Price playing up to expectations you have a formula for some degree of success. I think it has been fortunate that we have missed the Bostons and Carolina's of the world up till now. We will soon see where we are at in the big scheme of things.

I feel as CP has been goaling like a machine. I am not aware of the nickname CP has but due to his perfomances from the start of the season I would like to offer: CP three one Any one else ???

I am not concerned with Halak, just like I am not concerned with Latendresse.

If I can move on from Patrick Roy being traded for Thibault, Rucinsky and Kovalenko, losing Halak when they

have Price to replace him is the least of my concerns.

I haven't watched more than 10 minutes of Halak this season, but people need to stop acting like he is the reason

they are killing it. That team is stacked with young talent, especially on the back end with Johnson and Pietrangelo.

They are taking 35 shots per game and allowing only 26. That is an absurd differential so far.

Well everyone can thank Price for another win. The effort was very good as well. Alot of blocked shots from the defenseman as well. They seemed mildly tougher in front of Price as well.

The same problems still persist:

Can't clear the puck effectively out of the zone, too many battles lost.

Clueless on the PP, i know they scored but that one was lucky. 4 minute PP 1 shot and 2 odd man rushes against?

Take too many dumb penalties

Clueless offensivley, the other 9 forwards need to watch Halpern's line. Cammi needs to hit the net.

So with those negatives being in first place is amazing, thank Price for that.

I would swap Cammi with Ak46 with Martin's current lines, Gomez is a passer, Cammi is a finisher. AK46 is lost without Pleks.

Can they waive Lapierre? That guy is just as worthless as Boyd, he doesn't hit, he doesn't score, he doesn't kill penalties. Maybe they can move a combo of O'Byrne, Lapieree and get a young player or pick or something.

I would like to see Palushi or someone get a call to see about helping the offense.

"Can they waive Lapierre?"

"he doesn't hit"

I'm not a Lapierre apologist and he drives me crazy half the time, but I'm pretty sure they mentioned last night that he's leading the team in hits...something like 48 for him, compared to 40 for the next highest guy..."

Ok, they must judge hits differently than I do. He is pretty much worthless.

Generally, you're going to have a couple of guys that aren't doing much of anything out there. As long as they cost only $1m and not $4.5m like a certain ex-star did. I only rip on our pluggers if they're obviously causing goals against.

Well everyone can thank Price for another win. The effort was very good as well. Alot of blocked shots from the defenseman as well. They seemed mildly tougher in front of Price as well.

The same problems still persist:

Can't clear the puck effectively out of the zone, too many battles lost.

Clueless on the PP, i know they scored but that one was lucky. 4 minute PP 1 shot and 2 odd man rushes against?

Take too many dumb penalties

Clueless offensivley, the other 9 forwards need to watch Halpern's line. Cammi needs to hit the net.

So with those negatives being in first place is amazing, thank Price for that.

I would swap Cammi with Ak46 with Martin's current lines, Gomez is a passer, Cammi is a finisher. AK46 is lost without Pleks.

Can they waive Lapierre? That guy is just as worthless as Boyd, he doesn't hit, he doesn't score, he doesn't kill penalties. Maybe they can move a combo of O'Byrne, Lapieree and get a young player or pick or something.

I would like to see Palushi or someone get a call to see about helping the offense.

I think they were very good with their puck support. They offered up multiple options for the D, whether

it was the wingers being in place along the side boards or the other defenseman offering up the proper

support to reverse the path.

The shots were not indicative of the play as the Canucks loaded up with 8 shots in the last 3 minutes, 2 minutes of which

they had their goaltender out. They also had 17 shots after Montreal went up 2-0, that is not indicative of the play, but

essentially the score effect of them pressing and Montreal defending with a 2-0 lead.

To that point the Habs had outshot the Canucks 23-17 with 10 even strength scoring chances a piece. Over the last 15 minutes the Canucks registered 7 scoring chances, 4 of which came when the game was essentially over. The Price save is a great highlight reel staple, but it happened with 10 seconds left and all it did was preserve his shutout, not alter the outcome of the game. (scoring chances provided by http://enattendantlesnordiques.blogspot.com/)

Price was good, but through 45 minutes only needed to make 3-4 good saves.

They were the better team last night.

Edited by Wamsley01