Biggest current need?

dlbalr

Having seen the last several few games without Markov and the likelihood that Markov will miss at least a good chunk of the season, what area should the Habs try and improve in the not-too-distant future? (I won't turn this into a poll as I have a sinking suspicion I may be putting a very similar version of this on the site's poll, don't want the same one twice.)

• Defensive defenceman
  • Puck-moving/offensive defenceman
  • Scoring/skill forward
  • Gritty forward
  • Checking forward
  • Other
  • Status quo
A week ago, I'd have said put the money into adding one more skill forward but I'm quickly having a change of heart. The current defence isn't terrible, but it's also not a group that's going to take you to the promised land - players like Gill, Hamrlik, and Spacek can't be getting 20 ish minutes a game for the next 60 games, they will wear out for sure. So at this moment, I would suggest a good defensive, stay at home blueliner is now the key focus.

A name to consider aside from Regehr and Bieksa who have been discussed before: Colin White (NJ) - has a NTC though. NJ is looking to dump payroll so he could be had for a bargain price. Makes $3 mil this year and next which isn't beyond excessive, though I admit a little high for my liking. FA wise, Jay McKee and Brendan Witt come to mind, though the latter I want no part of. McKee I could live with but even he's a #6 at best.

Your thoughts? What is the Habs' biggest need?

Scoring winger for me, if the need was a player, I believe the habs have the talent if JM gives them a chance, Eller or Pouliot could be the 2nd line winger. I know others will say "hey bar dumdum, stop trying to rush Eller", but from what I've seen of him this year I think he at least deserves a shot.

Scoring winger for me, if the need was a player, I believe the habs have the talent if JM gives them a chance, Eller or Pouliot could be the 2nd line winger. I know others will say "hey bar dumdum, stop trying to rush Eller", but from what I've seen of him this year I think he at least deserves a shot.

Is this a trick question? You might want to wait till somebody goes down. You could look awful silly going one way or other then have something happen at other end. I think you wait a bit longer and see how the Gomez situation plays out. Your best move may be addition by subtraction. That contract removal may give you help at both ends.

I think the same as dlbalr. With Markov, our biggest need is a top 6 winger. Without Markov, we need a d-man that can log 20 minutes a game.

We don't need a #6, we'll need a top 4 D.

I don't know if we can acquire a guy at this point in the year that doesn't have obvious baggage, though. And that goes for a forward as well. If Vancouver doesn't deal a d-man (Boston won't deal us a forward, as much as I'm sure all of us want Ryder back, lol), I don't see a lot of options until the deadline.

Honestly, I wouldn't object if the Habs acquired either a top-6 winger or a top-4ish defenceman. The former is a longstanding need; the latter is a need created by Markov's propensity for grave injuries and the impeding UFAship of Hamrlik. Either would significantly improve the team. So I know it's wishy-washy, but it really is six of one, half-dozen of the other.

Further to the D-man idea...even with Markov, if we were to add (say) Regher, we'd go from having a very good all-around defence to having a truly impressive defence corps. One way to 'address a weakness' is not to address it all per se, but rather to build so forcefully on on your strengths so as to render the weakness irrelevant. A powerhouse defence corps would make the top-6 forward issue less significant.

So again: either is good.

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

As of right now, I don't think that a move is necessary. We sit in first in the division and a few points from first in the conference. Obviously there are areas that it would be nice to upgrade but every team is in the same boat. Luckily we have plenty depth and are able to give players within the organization a chance to fill some roles. If that doesn't work and we start losing more games than winning, then I think it's time to look to make a move with another team.

We have enough depth currently within our organization and therefore don't feel the need to trade or acquire a player and take on more salary. What the habs need to do is work on getting more consistant production fron our forwards in order to solve the scoring problem. The best solution is to play the waiting game until the trade deadline and by then we will be better equiped to make an informed decision if need be. The team 990 reported that Gomez and others are practising their shooting in brassard today. I think that Gomez recognizes that he must work harder and I'm confident that he will get through this.

the only reasonable options

1) Send one or two forwards down to Hamilton and bring Desharnais up,

2) dress 7 dmen every other night, until we can spread the Markov minutes evenly. Spacek cant play 20 min every night, its official!

Puck moving defensemen, the less time possible in our zone, this means a defense that sees the ice well

and can skate with it to push in offense. Hopefully this player can play the point and even with a average shot

he can set up the shooters, Cammelleri, AK46.

This player for me would be Robidas. Yeah not the biggest guy around but the salary is affordable around 3 million,

giving depth. Heck Markov is not big either.