A question concerning Scott Gomez

REV-G

For the money he's making and the production he's giving us Scott Gomez's contract has to be one of the worst in sports right now. I like the guy but for what we're paying him and what he's producing we could do a lot of things if his money, cap hit, was available to us. We could improve our team in very significant ways.

So my question is, barring a trade which I can't see any team willing or wanting to do, do you think at any point during the season we would consider sending him to Hamilton and use the available money to bring in another center? In my mind the positives are obvious, but there are some definite negatives. How much would we hurt our reputation and would that make it more difficult for us to sign free agents? Also how much does it affect the rest of our players, team moral and the dressing room? However I think both Sheldon Sourey and Wade Reddon are two veteran players among others this year sent to the AHL by their teams so it's not like other teams aren't doing it.

So would we consider it, would it be the right thing to do in the long run, and how long do we wait before we consider it?

For the money he's making and the production he's giving us Scott Gomez's contract has to be one of the worst in sports right now. I like the guy but for what we're paying him and what he's producing we could do a lot of things if his money, cap hit, was available to us. We could improve our team in very significant ways.

So my question is, barring a trade which I can't see any team willing or wanting to do, do you think at any point during the season we would consider sending him to Hamilton and use the available money to bring in another center? In my mind the positives are obvious, but there are some definite negatives. How much would we hurt our reputation and would that make it more difficult for us to sign free agents? Also how much does it affect the rest of our players, team moral and the dressing room? However I think both Sheldon Sourey and Wade Reddon are two veteran players among others this year sent to the AHL by their teams so it's not like other teams aren't doing it.

So would we consider it, would it be the right thing to do in the long run, and how long do we wait before we consider it?

When you assemble a list of centers who will replace what he does, then we can talk about sending him down.

As of today, sending him down with nobody to replace him makes the Habs worse. And no, Eller cannot replace what

Gomez brings.

Stop focusing on point totals alone. There are other things that go into a hockey team. The team dynamic, relationships,

respect level. If you send a 10 year veteran and one of your leaders to the minors you open up pandora's box and you

never know what that will lead to.

Once you get over the salary Gomez will not be the albatross everybody makes him out to be.

If the Habs can trade Gomez and have a replacement for the 2nd and 3rd line, then it becomes an option.

Hey! let's be patient here, and cautious about the changes to make to this team. To send down a guy like Gomez would be devastating to the team spirit, IMO. You don't have to be a great psychologist to forecast that this kind of decision would not be well received by the older players in the line-up. Gomez has his faults, but he also has shown in the past that he usually plays better when the goings get tougher. Having said that, I really like the way Martin has been handling the situation so far. Somehow, he is protecting his player while still applying more pressure as the season comes along. Don't worry, Gomez was our best centre during the playoffs last spring. The speed and skills are still there; it's a matter of time before we see better results.

Gomez is not paid to put up points! Why can't people see that? Hockey isn't only about goal scorers. If you stacked a team with 20 guys who could all score 50 goals a year do you think they would make the playoffs? Who would defend against a counter attack? How many egos would combat in the locker room?

Would you trade Gomez for S. Koivu? Would you like to go back to battling for 8th?

Scotty's job is leadership and he is one of the best in the league at it!

He is paid for that leadership ability and that leadership ability lead us to the semi finals last year and has us atop our division this season. His leadership has brought other players into the team that would not be here if he wasn't aquired and would not be happy if he was demoted or traded. Although the thought of demoting a player of his stature is the most asinine one I hear on here. His leadership has created a winning atmospere in the locker room which is helping our young players develope into winners.

As long as this team is battling for the top seed and not fighting just to stay alive Scot Gomez is performing exactly as he is suppose to!

I say demote all the Gomez bashers to Leaf fans! That might teach them a lesson and makes way more sense than this stupid thread!

Remember, he had a whopping 13 goals 55 points when he lead the Devil to the 02-03 cup...

Hey guys, I asked a question. I think I'm getting the idea of your answer!

Hey guys, I asked a question. I think I'm getting the idea of your answer!

Basically, unless it's the offseason and we have a plan in place to replace him for cheaper, there's no point in doing such a thing.

It all depends on the circumstance. If there was a team that was blowing up it's roster to save money, and you could get a Nash, Doan, Shea Weber, and the only wasy to do it was to send down Gomer, then I would consider it. If he wasn't replaced with an elite or near elite player, I would not. The names I listed are in poor hockey markets. The only reason I gave those particular names. ]]

My only concern with this sort of move, is what it does to people mentally. A huge part of sports is mental, and while I don't support handling rich, overpaid players with kid gloves, I don't think it is good for morale to send down such a prolific player. Other well paid players may end up looking over their shoulder during a slump, instead of just working through it.

I'm not a big fan of Gomez, but we have to admit he was with Gionta our best forwards in the last round of the playoffs, stepping up when Plekanec's line disappeared. Those two accounted for more than half of Habs goals in that series. In the last game of the playoffs, when Habs season was on the line, Gomez and Gionta were the 2 most used players, even above dmen. Those 2, as Gill, are the kind of players we want in the playoffs. They are able to step their game up during clutch time and play under pressure. So as long as we are doing alright in the regular season, let's be patient with them-- especially Gomez. Nobody expects him to score 20 goals. But as soon as Gomez's wingers gets scoring, we should see Gomez adds assists up on a regular basis.

Let's remember that it's all about the team and not just Gomez. Gomez is a passer and play maker therefor it's very unlikely that you will find him in the slot area. The true problem lies with the inconsistant scoring of our players. Our snipers seem to get into hot streaks and then suddenly cold as ice. Gionta for one hasn't had a reasonable scoring percentage and then we have Moen who in my books will not score more than 10 goals this year so the big question is what Pierre Gautier will do to resolve this problem. My guess is that we might have to call up 1 or 2 players from hamilton and give them a chance before we even talk about trade. :huh:

Gomez is the kind of centre needed to compliment 2 established wingers... And not the other way around.

If your trio is lacking one of the two wingers then Gomez's is role is no longer 100% effective Thats the kind of player he is... He is only as good as your two wingers combined are... Because neutralize the best winger i.e. Gionta.. your left with less than half a line

When Pouliot was doing everything right that line was doing everything right, when Pouliot got in a slump then the line followed

I believe Gauthier and co know this... and the other teams as well.

the solution for Gomer is another top veteran winger

I wouldn't mind seeing Bill Guerin given a look on this team.

Can he keep up skating wise though? Assuming he'd play with Gomez/Gionta, how much of a hindrance would his speed (or lack thereof) be? I wouldn't be overly upset if they signed him for a 4th line/2nd PP role but I don't think I'd personally be comfy with him in a regular top-6 spot.

with regards to lineups... when was the last time Gomez played with Gionta and Cammalleri

Would Pouliot/Eller have a better time in gradual top line play alongside Plekanec and Kostitsyn?

Perhaps next time we are winning by 7 goals (or gasp, losing by 7) J.Martin can try that out...Peut-être?

You know I was just thinking how lucky we are to have Gomez on our team. Just imagine if we would have traded away Price and Plekanec for Lecavallier. I would also take Gomez over Briere with my eyes closed. So let's all look at the brighter picture. :clap:

...about Gomez if the word around is true the injury is not an injury but a big pain in the ***

Just take a newpaper read the comments Gomez said and imagine when a ball explodes there who painful

it must be to skate :o

Anyway first time ever i hear a story like that about a hockey player, i thought i must share that...lol. :P