Pacioretty Called Up

ForumGhost

It was going to happen sooner or later. For anyone not following his progress, he is pretty much the best forward in the AHL right now at 17-15-32 in 28 games, tied for first in points and is first in goals. Does this mean he has finally developed into the power forward we are all hoping for. I just really hope he plays with some offensive players. Anyone else wanna see Eller between Pacioretty and Cammalleri? Maybe Pacioretty, Cammalleri and Halpern. Even Pouliot, Eller and Pacioretty, if either Pouliot or Pacioretty can play on the right.

The Habs could really use an impact power forward. More realistically, though, he will see bottom-6 duty and be brought along gradually. Either way, I'm rooting for him because if he does materialize, we're a significantly better team.

Although I acknowledge his great play thus far in the AHL and also like him as a player, I don't believe he will make a big impact in the lineup.....points-wise anyway. I think he will play well and hold his own, but if anyone is expecting him to continue his points pace is going to be disappointed IMO. Eller for example, whom was in a similar place as Pax before, is playing well and deserves to be in the big show, but doesn't have the production that would make everyone happy. This I believe is more of the defensive system in place that limits offensive opportunities and spreads the scoring around. I hope that Pax comes up with a good attitude and accepts whichever role he is given, contrary to his statement earlier in the season about wanting to stay in Hamilton all year. It would be nice if he does the things that has made him successful thus far and continues to be effective.

Although I acknowledge his great play thus far in the AHL and also like him as a player, I don't believe he will make a big impact in the lineup.....points-wise anyway. I think he will play well and hold his own, but if anyone is expecting him to continue his points pace is going to be disappointed IMO. Eller for example, whom was in a similar place as Pax before, is playing well and deserves to be in the big show, but doesn't have the production that would make everyone happy. This I believe is more of the defensive system in place that limits offensive opportunities and spreads the scoring around. I hope that Pax comes up with a good attitude and accepts whichever role he is given, contrary to his statement earlier in the season about wanting to stay in Hamilton all year. It would be nice if he does the things that has made him successful thus far and continues to be effective.

Yes. A very reasonable, realistic assessment.

I think he is able to contribute right away. Let's give him quality minutes with a good center and he will help quite a bit. His presence in the line-up will give Martin more flexibility. The coach will be able to use a guy like Moen on the 3rd or 4th line where he is more effective. Pyatt will probably be the one who will have to sit down while Martin will evaluate Pax. An excellent move by Gauthier.

The next one to be recalled will be Desharnais.

I think he is able to contribute right away. Let's give him quality minutes with a good center and he will help quite a bit. His presence in the line-up will give Martin more flexibility. The coach will be able to use a guy like Moen on the 3rd or 4th line where he is more effective. Pyatt will probably be the one who will have to sit down while Martin will evaluate Pax. An excellent move by Gauthier.

I think the idea is getting more scoring up front so the young defense is not so vulnerable. Somebody alluded to already, that you might reinforce a concern by strengthening an area other than the concern.

I didn't really understand why they called him up Saturday and then returned him the following day on Sunday. He didn't even get in a game. Kinda wierd.

Though I'm happy that Pacioretty is up. I hope he fits in well on this Habs team. It would be nice if he made an impact.

Well i saw the broadcast of the AHL game on Sunday, the announcers said that Martin and I think PG were attending the game looking for some scoring.

In the 3rd period they said that when Pacioretty got called up, they only wanted to call him up once and give him top 6 minutes. If called up they were saying, the habs did not want to send him back.

I don't tknow what that means exactly but if your not going to play him with offensive top 6 guys it's kind of a waste, they bottom 6 are doing there job, the top 6 (2nd line) has offense.

I didn't really understand why they called him up Saturday and then returned him the following day on Sunday. He didn't even get in a game. Kinda wierd.

Not weird at all. You are playing in a league with millions of dollars invested, how silly would you look if at game time you couldn't start with a full roster because somebody come down with the flu or got stuck in traffic or got aquainted with one of lifes many travesties that might befall someone. That's why you got 23 man rosters or one of the reasons. Desharnais was just there for coverage.

Edited by BlueKross

I don't tknow what that means exactly but if your not going to play him with offensive top 6 guys it's kind of a waste, they bottom 6 are doing there job, the top 6 (2nd line) has offense.

Agreed, If you,re gonna play MaxPac, play him on the top 2 lines where he belongs. Don't put him on the 4th line with 7 minutes of ice time. Give him a chance to show what he can do!

For those who were hoping Pacioretty would be in a top-6 role, I wouldn't get your hopes up based on the early evidence from today's practice:

Cammalleri-Plekanec-Moen

Pacioretty-Pyatt-Gionta

Kostitsyn-Halpern-Lapierre

Pouliot-Eller-Darche

It may be top-6, but anything with Pyatt listed in the top-6 isn't really a scoring line, is it?

For those who were hoping Pacioretty would be in a top-6 role, I wouldn't get your hopes up based on the early evidence from today's practice:

Cammalleri-Plekanec-Moen

Pacioretty-Pyatt-Gionta

Pouliot-Eller-Darche

It may be top-6, but anything with Pyatt listed in the top-6 isn't really a scoring line, is it?

Those lines look like they were picked out of a hat. Hopefully those aren't what they will look like come game time. I would switch Kostitsyn with Moen since AK46 seems to need offensive players on his line to produce, and I'd switch Eller with Pyatt. I know Eller has been playing well with Pouliot and Darche, but Pyatt should not be on anything that resembles a scoring line.

Edited by illWill

Cammalleri-Plekanec-Moen

Pacioretty-Pyatt-Gionta

Pouliot-Eller-Darche

What the heck kind of lines are those? Reminds me of Carbo's lines against Edmonton a few years ago. the 7-2 loss with Gorges playing wing.

After looking a little more, there are 2 scoring threats and 2 strong checkers on every line. My guess is that Spacek is out and defensive responsibility will be way up on the list.

Edited by BCHabnut

What the heck kind of lines are those? Reminds me of Carbo's lines against Edmonton a few years ago. the 7-2 loss with Gorges playing wing.

what can u expect? Gomez is out!

Also time to test players...

BUT MORE importantly.... (BTW JM is doing great here)

what better way than to ease Pacioretty into the allignment. With Pyatt in the middle of him and Gionta... He'll be less stressed and feel less responsible of underperforming or screwing up!

Also:

Kostitsyn-Halpern-Lapierre: Test more offensive sides od Halpern and Lapierre

and so on but more importantly to make Pacioretty feel at ease.

Coaching staff learning from previous mistakes?!?!?

This reminds me of the practice when it looked like Spacek was getting benched: all the lines were screwy, and same with the D pairs. Then he went back with the same formations as the previous game.

Martin has 3 practices until the next game. He's just breaking the routine here.

OK, I don't follow our prospects closely, but looking at that roster, we need an offensively skilled C. Which begs the question - why not give Desharnais a shot? Just asking.

As for using Pac on the top-6, I agree that it seems sensible, but JM's general MO appears to be to let young guys 'learn the game' on the lower lines. Unless Pacioretty really makes a statement with whatever chances he gets in an offensive role, I'd expect him to be quickly bumped down. But I've been wrong before.

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

Most team lately hit pretty hard on Plekanec, Moen around him for that reason.

Pyatt is the fill in waiting Gomez return, MaxPac Gomez Gionta sound interesting.

Eller line , just fine.

Halpern Lapierre and sleepy hollow AK.

Not names thrown in the hat.

Most team lately hit pretty hard on Plekanec, Moen around him for that reason.

Still dont think Moen should be on our top line. You have Pouliot, Eller or Kostitsyn who have the skill level to be on those top lines. Pouliot should get a chance up there.

OK, I don't follow our prospects closely, but looking at that roster, we need an offensively skilled C. Which begs the question - why not give Desharnais a shot? Just asking.

As for using Pac on the top-6, I agree that it seems sensible, but JM's general MO appears to be to let young guys 'learn the game' on the lower lines. Unless Pacioretty really makes a statement with whatever chances he gets in an offensive role, I'd expect him to be quickly bumped down. But I've been wrong before.

The typical Martin thing to do would be to insert him on the 4th line with Pyatt and Lapierre. But I think in this case, it would make a lot of sense to keep all the lines the same except put Pacioretty in Moen's spot and then move Moen to the bottom line (with Boyd as a scratch). In this case it's not like Pacioretty can be so much worse than Moen on that second line and Martin gets to tell Max, "This is your shot in the top 6 in the NHL. Do what I say and you stay there. Don't, and you wind up in the bottom 6 and can't complain. Your fate is in your own hands."

Pac praised Desharnais a lot in today's interviews. Saying that he hopes Desharnais could be called up at some point. He said that all his goals are coming from David's passes.

I agree with you CC. I understand that JM has told Maxpac that he wants him to just continue what he's been doing. I think he'll be encouraged to be responsible and responsive. But I have no idea where and when he is going to be played. As it has been listed, there are a few guys in development right now and I believe JM is quite in tune with their progress.

But he's not prepared to risk the team objectives for the developmental ones it seems to me. I have no complaints at all. I really like this team, and I am frankly surprised at how solidly MaxPac has developped. Good call.

As much as they need a center. hey really need someone to park there butt in front of the net on the PP. Someone to win battles in the corner, drive to the net and get rebounds.

Other than Moen on occaision, knoone else fits that bill.

As much as they need a center. hey really need someone to park there butt in front of the net on the PP. Someone to win battles in the corner, drive to the net and get rebounds.

Other than Moen on occaision, knoone else fits that bill.

Darche fits that bill more than Moen, actually.