2011 World Juniors Thread

dlbalr

Rather than keep bumping old threads, may as well make this the official WJC thread. 4 Hab prospects started out with a shot at making their respective teams (Avtsin may have an outside chance still though). They are:

Canada:

Michael Bournival (cut Dec. 15, 1 point in 3 scrimmage games)

Brendan Gallagher (cut Dec. 14, 1 goal in 2 intrasquad games)

Louis Leblanc (made the team, 1 goal in 2 intrasquad games)

Finland:

Joonas Nattinen

Gallagher was among the first set of cuts early Tuesday morning despite scoring in the scrimmage Monday night. Fortunately, he'll be eligible for next year's tourney as well.

Juniors beat CIS all stars tonight. No word in the TSN article on how Bournival fared. I guess we'll find out tomorrow morning if he's in or out.

I read somewhere that Bournival was the last cut but I can't confirm. My question would be is when is the drop dead date when injured players can't be replaced?

I read somewhere that Bournival was the last cut but I can't confirm. My question would be is when is the drop dead date when injured players can't be replaced?

TSN's Bob MacKenzie tweeted that Bournival was the last cut.

Posted this on Twitter yesterday but forgot to mention it here, Nattinen survived the next round of cuts for Team Finland. They have 1 set left which probably won't come until after their exhibition games, including 1 against Canada I think. It'd take some kind of choke job for him to be cut though, he's going to be one of their top players.

Posted this on Twitter yesterday but forgot to mention it here, Nattinen survived the next round of cuts for Team Finland. They have 1 set left which probably won't come until after their exhibition games, including 1 against Canada I think. It'd take some kind of choke job for him to be cut though, he's going to be one of their top players.

Finland has essentially made their cuts except in goal, as they still have 4 goalies on their roster (hey, it's their strength). They have one extra forward because Mikael Granlund is injured, and they remain hopeful he'll make it. Nattinen won't be dropped for Granlund.

Finland has essentially made their cuts except in goal, as they still have 4 goalies on their roster (hey, it's their strength). They have one extra forward because Mikael Granlund is injured, and they remain hopeful he'll make it. Nattinen won't be dropped for Granlund.

Last I saw, they had 3 goalies left in camp (Aittokallio, Ortio, and Perhonen), 8 D, and 14 forwards. As you said it's moot since Nattinen won't be dropped, so the Habs will have 2 prospects in the WJC's.

Game 2 is tonight at 7:30 (I think the main TSN has this one). You should be able to catch the first period or two before the Hab game...or even a bit before the Bulldog game...speaking of which, better get the GDT for that ready, whoops.

Leblanc didn't have a point (that I was aware of at least) and was on the ice for Finland's 2nd goal. Nattinen I believe also was pointless tonight as well.

For Canada, Brett Connolly was out tonight with what may be a concussion. If it's serious enough, Bournival may get a late call back (or one of the other last cuts, depending if they want another offensive guy). We'll know by Saturday one way or the other.

Nice little flashback memory for any Canada (and Price) fans: http://www.tsn.ca/world_jrs/btws2010/?player=Price Connolly will be good to go (he's on the final roster) so no Bournival unfortunately, though there's always next year. Both Leblanc and Nattinen will be in action tomorrow, we will have a StatTracker as always on the main site.

Full stats, results, and schedules: http://www.iihf.com/channels1011/wm20/statistics.html

Felt like it was a female hockey game.

Yep felt the same.

Kassian suspension for a hit got into their head, Canada let Norway shoot way too

many times, defense was backing and there was no grit into that game.

One the postitive , Schenn appetite for goal crease and putting points.

The Couturier- Leblanc- Foligno line took time to get cohesion but now they got it,

Leblanc looks slow but he is not, he is the guy that always do something good, nothing outstanding,

average speed, average shot but above average hockey sense, ice vision, puck control and passing.

Leblanc with Kristo in a couple of years will be fun to watch.

Nattinen was eliminated from medal contention last night in a tough loss to Russia - Finland blew a 2-goal lead late in the 3rd while Nattinen took an inadvertent cross check around the same time as well which made him miss most of the overtime. In fact, the lone shift I saw him consisted of one faceoff (which he won)...Russia scored later that shift. His final game will be tomorrow against the Swiss

Leblanc and Canada as you all know by know take on the USA tonight in the semis.

Seeing Nattinen frustrated me a bit. Not because he was terrible, it's just that he didn't stand out. You see all these Swedish and Finnish players that get picked late and they look great, and you wonder why we haven't made any inroads in there scouting wise. I'd still sign Nattinen, but I wouldn't expect a huge amount of upside from him.

One guy I'd like the Habs to draft is Yuri Urychev from Russia. Man, he's been impressive. He's already 19, passed in the draft twice, but that happens with Russians nowadays. Gregory Hoffman from Switzerland was another guy I liked a lot.

Most of Finland's best players were already drafted. Iiro Pakarinen wasn't, but he really only had one game where he stood out, and his career to date doesn't scream future NHLer. Julius Juntilla is smaller, but probably has the better upside of the finnish non-drafted players. Klas Dahlbeck and Fredrik Styrman might be worth a look as well, a couple of undrafted Swedish blueliners.

But Urychev... 6'4", incredible shot, good mobility, right handed, playing top pairing... he is property of one of the better KHL teams, so he might be more inclined to stay there if he gets a shot, but I think he's worth a 4th or 5th rounder. Hofmann is probably gone in the 3rd round or sooner, although you never know with Swiss leaguers. Actually, another Swiss player that I liked was their young d-man, Samuel Guerra. The Swiss could have 4 players drafted from their team (Guerra, Hofmann, Bartschi, Trutmann), 5 if someone finally takes Conz.

The place in Canada where the interest for team Canada is at is lowest is in Montreal.

Was there yesterday and nobody i talked to could name 5 players of U20 2010 Canadian team.

Meanwhile 16 000 canadian fans take the road, fill an american building and root for the thrillest

tournament of the year and watch the canadian team play a perfect game against last year gold medalist

team USA at home.

The big open ice hits are something we do not see often in the NHL. Even less in Montreal.

I would take the tapes and show it to these pro's for what fans want in a hockey game.

But that's just one fan in the habs nation where only habs deserves attention and where hockey is not a game but a system

to feed fans who can take any crap on ice and people still love it.

The place in Canada where the interest for team Canada is at is lowest is in Montreal.

Not kidding, lot of "old" people around me and my family still "pissed" at Dave King for 1982-83-84's incident with Mario Lemieux...

Edited by JoeLassister