Desharnais close to Montreal? (Recalled Dec 31st)

JCPetit

Now that Dustin Boyd has been assigned to Hamilton, I expect that Desharnais is very close to being recalled for the rest of the season. The young man deserves to play at the next level and there is room for him with the big team.

Of course, he will have to wait for an injury at one of the top centers to get his chance, but, at least, he will be where he should be. To tell you the truth, I doubt that he really has a future with the Habs, but his recall will give him the opportunity to show his skills at other teams. Who knows? we might me able to trade him down the line (with one or two picks) for someone who can give us a shot at winning our 25th Stanley Cup.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now that Dustin Boyd has been assigned to Hamilton, I expect that Desharnais is very close to being recalled for the rest of the season. The young man deserves to play at the next level and there is room for him with the big team.

We're already sitting 2 players, so technically there isn't room. In the offseason, Martin confirmed they did not plan nor want to carry 23 healthy players. We're at 22, I don't see anyone coming up for the time being. Why burn more cap space in the press box than you need to?

We're already sitting 2 players, so technically there isn't room. In the offseason, Martin confirmed they did not plan nor want to carry 23 healthy players. We're at 22, I don't see anyone coming up for the time being. Why burn more cap space in the press box than you need to?

If there was room for Boyd, there is room for Desharnais. Mark my word, he'll be with the big club before long.

If there was room for Boyd, there is room for Desharnais. Mark my word, he'll be with the big club before long.

They both bring up salient points and your response is mark my words?

Based on a guess by you?

They both bring up salient points and your response is mark my words?

Based on a guess by you?

Well, I wrote that if there was room for Boyd, there is room for another player, which is a point. No?

As for the rest, I agree, it is a guess. No more than that. And as far as I am concerned, talking about ice hockey is not nuclear science. Sometimes, one can go with guts feelings, no?

And BTW, I guessed correctly that Weber and Pax were close to joining the club. I could have been wrong, of course, but let's say that it was an "educated" guess -- I mean one that comes from a lot of reading what's in the news, and my experience of more than 40 years as a Habs fan. Still, I could be wrong about Desharnais, but I am confident that he'll be with the club before long.

Edited by JCPetit

And BTW, I guessed correctly that Weber and Pax were close to joining the club. I could have been wrong, of course, but let's say that it was an "educated" guess -- I mean one that comes from a lot of reading what's in the news, and my experience of more than 40 years as a Habs fan. Still, I could be wrong about Desharnais, but I am confident that he'll be with the club before long.

Well, Weber's call up was somewhat obvious once Markov was done for, to be fair. I just don't see why they would call up somebody when there's no room in the lineup for them. On second thought, maybe they will do that, they've done it enough before. You might actually be on to something. :)

Well, Weber's call up was somewhat obvious once Markov was done for, to be fair. I just don't see why they would call up somebody when there's no room in the lineup for them. On second thought, maybe they will do that, they've done it enough before. You might actually be on to something. :)

Let me explain a little bit. My reasoning is that Gauthier will be tempted to make a trade before the deadline. Don't forget that he has cap space because of Markov's injury. I mean, if Gauthier sees that we have a real shot at the Cup, there will be such a trade. Now, if you know that you are going to trade in the near future, you need to know the value of your assets. We have a lot of players under contract in the farm system, but just a few, IMO, might have attractive value in the market and Desharnais is among them.

But what is the value of Desharnais exactly? Nobody knows. IMO, we need to call him up to evaluate him in the next few months. And to show him to other GMs. If he is not good enough for the NHL, it's just too bad. But if he has true potential, we'll soon find out and the other teams too. The alternative is to leave him in Hamilton and take the chance to lose him for nothing at the end of the season. I think that it would be a mistake.

Let's evaluate him.

Edited by JCPetit

Let me explain a little bit. My reasoning is that Gauthier will be tempted to make a trade before the deadline. Don't forget that he has cap space because of Markov's injury. I mean, if Gauthier sees that we have a real shot at the Cup, there will be such a trade. Now, if you know that you are going to trade in the near future, you need to know the value of your assets. We have a lot of players under contract in the farm system, but just a few, IMO, might have attractive value in the market and Desharnais is among them.

But what is the value of Desharnais exactly? Nobody knows. IMO, we need to call him up to evaluate him in the next few months. And to show him to other GMs. If he is not good enough for the NHL, it's just too bad. But if he has true potential, we'll soon find out and the other teams too. The alternative is to leave him in Hamilton and take the chance to lose him for nothing at the end of the season. I think that it would be a mistake.

Let's evaluate him.

Believe me, if there's anyone who knows what the Habs have to work with cap wise, it's me. :) LTIR isn't all rosy; if we use it, we all but certainly finish the season over the cap (due to player bonuses for Eller/Weber), that's not ideal. The best time for them to use LTIR will be at or near the deadline, where they can use it but not blow all of their accrued space thus far, thus getting the player but not the penalty next year.

I understand that Desharnais ideally will be evaluated but calling him up as the 14th forward and playing him 2 or 3 out of every 5 games isn't going to help other teams get a read on him. There will be injuries, he'll get his shot at some point. I don't think that point is now with 13 healthy forwards ahead of him.

Maxwell is in the same situation as Desharnais. Both will need decisions made on them by next training camp. Same with Ryan White.

We'll see how it all works out. But I think the fact that Boyd was waived showed there WASN'T room for him, not that there was. The team didn't know what to do with him anymore, and just decided to cut their losses.

Dehernais should be kept down in the AHL. It does him no good to be recalled and sit in the press box for times on end. I still want Weber to be getting in more games than he is, since its not helping his development sitting. Maybe they should be switching Weber and Picard out every so often to make sure both guys are fresh.

• 2 weeks later...
It took a bit more than two weeks, but the little guy will be with the team this week end.

what's the point, if he is going to play 5 minutes with Darche, Moen, Halpern or Pyatt :angry:

what's the point, if he is going to play 5 minutes with Darche, Moen, Halpern or Pyatt :angry:

+1. However, let's wait and see what goes down, before fulminating against it, shall we? ^_^ And let's remember that JM has given ample ice time to, among others, Subban (notwithstanding the benchings), Pouliot, Pyatt, and Pacioretty. The idea that he automatically restricts youngsters' ice time is a myth. He only shrinks their ice time if he has lost faith in their abilities (O'Byrne), after they've screwed up repeatedly (Subban/Latendresse) - or if he needs to shorten his bench in order to try to win the game.

Desharnais probably won't replace either Gomez or Pleks. As surreal as it seems I wouldn't be shocked to find him in Lapierre's slot. If he shows well, though, then it would be no jaw-dropping surprise to find him starting to eat into Gomez's ice time. I really think that's part of the hope here - that young guys can send a subtle message to the struggling vets about their disposability.

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

+1. However, let's wait and see what goes down, before fulminating against it, shall we? ^_^ And let's remember that JM has given ample ice time to, among others, Subban (notwithstanding the benchings), Pouliot, Pyatt, and Pacioretty. The idea that he automatically restricts youngsters' ice time is a myth. He only shrinks their ice time if he has lost faith in their abilities (O'Byrne), after they've screwed up repeatedly (Subban/Latendresse) - or if he needs to shorten his bench in order to try to win the game.

Desharnais probably won't replace either Gomez or Pleks. As surreal as it seems I wouldn't be shocked to find him in Lapierre's slot. If he shows well, though, then it would be no jaw-dropping surprise to find him starting to eat into Gomez's ice time. I really think that's part of the hope here - that young guys can send a subtle message to the struggling vets about their disposability.

There is no point bringing Desharnais up unless he is either playing on the top 6, or with Pouliot and Eller - if they were playing well, or even to kick-start them. However, both Eller and Pouliot look lost and look like they could benefit by being sent to Hamilton - where they will be away from Martin.

NONE of our young players have played well under JM - ALL have regressed. Even among the veterns, the only one who has shown any consistency is Pleks.

We might be surprised by the kind of icetime Desharnais will get. Let's be patient. IMO, he is an upgrade from Lapierre, although he is far from being the same kind of player.

I know that the Habs have been playing very poorly recently, but don't forget that almost every team goes through tough times during a whole season. The level of confidence among our players is very low right now; no wonder they were so glad when they won the game in OT last night.

I believe that Gauthier's last moves have improved the team. Don't tell me that Weez is not a serious upgrade for the powerplay. And he is a much better all-around player than Marc-André Bergeron, no doubt about that.

We had to bring Desharnais to the big club. Let him play, it will bring clarity to the situation: Is he good enough for the NHL? Should we keep him, trade him or simply let him go at the end of the season? Those are important questions and we need an answer before the trade deadline.

We might be surprised by the kind of icetime Desharnais will get. Let's be patient. IMO, he is an upgrade from Lapierre, although he is far from being the same kind of player.

I know that the Habs have been playing very poorly recently, but don't forget that almost every team goes through tough times during a whole season. The level of confidence among our players is very low right now; no wonder they were so glad when they won the game in OT last night.

I believe that Gauthier's last moves have improved the team. Don't tell me that Weez is not a serious upgrade for the powerplay. And he is a much better all-around player than Marc-André Bergeron, no doubt about that.

We had to bring Desharnais to the big club. Let him play, it will bring clarity to the situation: Is he good enough for the NHL? Should we keep him, trade him or simply let him go at the end of the season? Those are important questions and we need an answer before the trade deadline.

I'd like to see darche out of the lineup and have desharnais play with Eller and Pouliot. Haver given that JM has been treating AK46 like the plague, I think he may sit him instead.

Personally, I think Darche was a anchor with pleks and Cammy, yeah he brought a net presence, but he was stoppin our shots rather then deflecting them. Some may argue that he had around 7 or 8 shots, but again, he wasn't really a threat and allowed Florida to cover pleks, Cammy and the D more closely. There were many instances when Darche was in front of the florida net and the D didn't even bother trying to move him. It's funny that the opposition can see how useless Darche is, but that stubborn old fart JM can't!

If JM wants to send a message to AK46, why no play him with pouliot and Eller - at least he has a chance to redeem himself. At least that would give desharnais a chance to play with cammy and pleks and have a real shot of proving whether he has what it takes to succeed in the NHL.

Edited by hab29RETIRED

I'd like to see darche out of the lineup and have desharnais play with Eller and Pouliot. Haver given that JM has been treating AK46 like the plague, I think he may sit him instead.

Personally, I think Darche was a anchor with pleks and Cammy, yeah he brought a net presence, but he was stoppin our shots rather then deflecting them. Some may argue that he had around 7 or 8 shots, but again, he wasn't really a threat and allowed Florida to cover pleks, Cammy and the D more closely. There were many instances when Darche was in front of the florida net and the D didn't even bother trying to move him. It's funny that the opposition can see how useless Darche is, but that stubborn old fart JM can't!

If JM wants to send a message to AK46, why no play him with pouliot and Eller - at least he has a chance to redeem himself. At least that would give desharnais a chance to play with ca

My and pleks and have a real shot of proving whether he has what it takes to succeed in the NHL.

To be frank, I have lost patience too with Kostitsyn. I like his abilities, but -- boy! -- does he fall asleep when he falls asleep!

Agree. The reason JM puts Darche and Moen in these positions is because he needs a guy to listen and go tho the net. Thats why Pac is getting ice time. He is going to the net. Kosty needs to go somewhere else in my opinion. He is way too streaky.

There is no point bringing Desharnais up unless he is either playing on the top 6, or with Pouliot and Eller - if they were playing well, or even to kick-start them. However, both Eller and Pouliot look lost and look like they could benefit by being sent to Hamilton - where they will be away from Martin.

NONE of our young players have played well under JM - ALL have regressed. Even among the veterns, the only one who has shown any consistency is Pleks.

Eller, Price, Halak, Pouliot, Weber, Pyatt have all done well for prolonged stretches with Martin. Subban is on his way - he's just slumping, Pacioretty is doing well now.

All of these young players have had struggles under Martin but all of them have also played great hockey under Martin. What's the conclusion? Young players tend to be inconsistent! Progression is gradual and rarely perfectly linear.

Agree. The reason JM puts Darche and Moen in these positions is because he needs a guy to listen and go tho the net. Thats why Pac is getting ice time. He is going to the net. Kosty needs to go somewhere else in my opinion. He is way too streaky.

Kosty is a top six forward. I'm weak at math, but the league has 180 top sixers. I bet he's middle of the pack statistically. If we trade him, we'll never get value, in my opinion. Teams would be looking to steal him from us.

Kosty is a top six forward. I'm weak at math, but the league has 180 top sixers. I bet he's middle of the pack statistically. If we trade him, we'll never get value, in my opinion. Teams would be looking to steal him from us.

+1

I also think it doesn't really MATTER that Moen and Darche listen to what Martin tells them to do, because they are still USELESS in the role he has the playing. Yes darche has been going to the net, but there ia a reason the opposition leaves him largely uncovered in front of their goalie, because aside from providing an ineffective screen (if you are going to stand in front of the goalie, the POINT is to block his view), he doesn't have the hands or skill to deflect the puck in and he by my count BLOCKED at least three of the Hans shots last game.

AK46 is a 25-30 goal scorer, which means he is going to go stretches without scoring. Hell, Ovie went 7 or 8 games without scoring this year, but I don't see the caps giving his ice time to david steckel. I also didn't see Martin take away gomez's ice time when he was sleepwalking and taking stupid penalties.

Eller, Price, Halak, Pouliot, Weber, Pyatt have all done well for prolonged stretches with Martin. Subban is on his way - he's just slumping, Pacioretty is doing well now.

All of these young players have had struggles under Martin but all of them have also played great hockey under Martin. What's the conclusion? Young players tend to be inconsistent! Progression is gradual and rarely perfectly linear.

EXACTLY. I'd add, as I have several times before, that JM has a proven track record of developing youth, including several players whose careers tanked after they left his tutleage (Redden, Jokinen). Unfortunately the Martin-haters will never accept this, so one may as well talk to an iguana.

As for Kostitsyn, well...I remember seeing an analysis somewhere that did indeed prove that Kostitsyn was statistically an average-to-better-than-average as a #6 forward. I'm sure JM knows this. My impression of Martin is that he punishes players who do not listen and do not follow instruction. Last season he went out of his way to say nice things publicly about AK 46 and proved quite reluctant to yank him from the roster. He may be beginning to turn on the player because he's concluding that the player is not even trying to do what the coaches are asking of him.

Incidentally, it's possible that Drache and Moen get top-6 opportunities because the coach is sending a message to the GM about the kind of player he wants/needs. Wouldn't be the first time.