Playoff Format may change

Habs77

From what I heard on TSN/Sportsnet tonight:

- it's pretty much decided that all teams will have a shot at Crosby in the draft:

"It will be a weighted lottery. The teams that have missed the playoffs for the last three or four years will have a better chance to get the first pick overall, but all 30 teams will be in the running."

We missed the playoffs in '01 & '03, made them in '02 & '04... so we should be about in the middle of the pack as far as our chances.

Which is quite better than the ZERO chance of getting the top pick we normally would have had... so good for us.

Another fact about the draft:

"Whichever team gets the first pick overall won't pick again until No. 60, and the team that gets the 30th pick will pick again at 31. Also, all traded or transferred draft choices will be in effect for the next draft, so if your favourite team traded away its first-round pick in 2005, kiss Sidney goodbye right now -- even if your team wins the lottery."

Anybody know where we stand in terms of the picks we have for this draft, any traded to/from other teams?

- For a team like the Habs who have been finishing 7-10 in their conference of late, this is another significant development:

"the most interesting news coming out of the GMs' meeting in Detroit on Friday is that it is highly likely the number of playoff teams is going to grow from 16 to 20."

" The potential new format is being dubbed as a "play in" to the playoffs. The top 10 teams in each conference would make the playoffs. There would be a preliminary "play-in" round in each conference, seeing the 7th seed play the 10th and the 8th play the 9th in a best of three series. The two winners would then join the top six seeds in the "traditional" eight-team conference playoff."

--> you'd expect most teams struggling to make it to the playoffs in the 7-10 range to be teams who could need the added revenue from an "extra round" in the playoffs where the player aren't paid and the money goes to the team.

--> this also means less teams will be eliminated by the trade deadline, so you'd hope there would be less firesales & rent-a-players available.

I'd still like the trade deadline to be moved up.

I think adding more teams to playoffs is a great idea. It adds more excitment to more and smaller franchises.

I think it'll shake up the playoff races and teams trading habits big time.

It's not like the season will be any longer. If they added a mini-series it would pretty much insure shorter seasons as well. If they play, say, 74-78 games the season would be just as long (or even a little shorter) than traditionally.

There are definitely good teams in the 9 spots in both conferences. Now, the end of the season race to see who squeeks into the playoffs might not be as good but it would probably mean at least 1 more Canadian team in the playoffs each year!

I know its radical but I think it could help some teams out. It's definitely a cool idea!

[Edited on 9-4-05 by HaliHab]

Originally posted by Trizzak

Can't say I like that new playoff format.

Let's not reward mediocrity for a little more money in the pocket.

Obviously the owners like the idea... so apparently this new format of 20 playoff teams is a done deal.

The change I want, and haven't heard much about, is about points earned for wins:

- 3 pts for a regulation win

- 2 pts for an OT win

- 1 pts for a shootout win

No points for the losing team in any scenario... no points for an OT loss.

The teams would have more of an incentive to attack in the OT because they could and up with nothing from a shootout... and even if they win the shootout they missed out on an extra point.

I don't want a shootout win to mean as much in the standings as a regulation win, as it does now in the AHL... to me that makes no sense.

I say give us the excitement of a shootout, but don't reward the teams as if it was a real win.

Seems simple enough, doesn't reward teams for a loss, and there's a clear incentive for the teams to press hard until the end of regulation, and OT.

I like this one too, as long as it doesn't turn into a circus. I like the idea of adding all the offensive incentive toward offence... I feel penalty shots can make the outcome of exciting games feel kinda random.

i dont like the idea of the new playoff format...but it would stop say the NY Rangers and Washington stop doing what they did last year...

maybe instead of trying to bring more teams into the playoffs...just get rid of some teams...that way there would be more of a competition and blood between teams...what ever happened to the orinigal six teams...they rarely play each other any more....that history could come back if there were less teams and the bad blood could be back...which could lead to more exciting hockey games because of the history behind the teams...

i also like what Habs77 said about the point system...dont let the shootout be like a regulation win...and no points for a loss or OT loss...i like that idea...

If baseball hadn't created wild cards playoffs would be crap. And if basketball hadn't brought back the dunking we wouldn't have Shaq... Changes are good!!

I don't see playoff format change as a ridiculous idea... I think its one that is probably actually might happen... It may solve alot of problems. Right off the top of the head:

- More playoff revenue for more teams (with far less overhead per game).

- More Canadian teams (per chance) in the playoffs each year which means more Canadian interest longer in the playoffs. It's no secret that as soon as the last Can. team is out the playoffs lose luster big time.

- It won't affect bigger, perenial powerhouse teams, they'll just have rest while playoffs start a week sooner for the little guys

- A change may even affect the trade deadline so that it no longer contributes to swelling player salaries like it has in the past.

We're lucky as Habs fans because our expectations are to make the playoffs each year... imagine being an Atlanta, Colombus or fan and not having any expectations for your team at all, any year... why support them, I mean these people don't care how well their clubs are currently drafting!?

I mean, I don't claim to know any more about this than any one else, I'm just suggesting that there might be some positives to this. And as habs_koivu has suggested apparently the GMs are really high on it.

One thing I must say: I really get sick of the 'stop messing with our game' BS you hear in the news. Changing the nets is one thing, it's too radical and I think a bad idea (esp. for poor little Theo ... but there is too much of this crap about messing with the history of the game... the history of the game is fine, it is what it is... its the future that's the concearn. "OUR" game, what, last time I checked we are the ones without hockey! The almighty dollar rules this game at the professional level, otherwise there wouldn't be a lockout. Some changes to respond to the facts are in order, I think.

The way I look at it after having some time to digest it is that the playoff format won't change.

It'll still be 8 teams per conference, 4-of-7 series.

The only thing that will change is that there will be a pre-playoff competition between the 7-10 teams to see who makes it in.

I say the more "do-or-die" hockey the better... those are the games that are the most exciting.

I have no real problems with it.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Aside from my point system, the other thing I wanted to see was eliminating all inter-conference games altogether, which would:

- allow for more divisional games

- spare players from jetlag, so they can perform better on the ice

- save travel costs for teams

Wow, glad I keep up on the news from this site. It is an interesting change. Adds more teams to the mix and good be good all around. more people watching and more hockey means more money for player and GM's...

now if only they would lower ticket prices so us normal working folk can watch the games.

I don't like it. If anything I'd reduce the number of playoff teams to six per conference. Now you can finish 10th and still have a shot at making the playoffs? That's a joke. Might aswell go back to the 16 out of 21 making the playoffs.

Go back to the old days.

4 divisions, 1 vs 4, 2 vs 3... Makes for awesome series and excellent rivalries... I miss the days when the NHL had great rivalries... Habs/Boston, Flames/Oilers, Habs/Nords, Isles/Rangers... It seemed every team in each division had a dislike for each other... I miss those days... The worst thing Bettman did IMO was changing the playoff format...

Originally posted by Quebecois

I don't like it. If anything I'd reduce the number of playoff teams to six per conference. Now you can finish 10th and still have a shot at making the playoffs? That's a joke. Might aswell go back to the 16 out of 21 making the playoffs.

I agree. As I said in my deleted post, mediocrity or less should not be rewarded.