Habs Acquire Wisniewski

bar

Cap effects of the deal (will be adding this to my post on HW shortly):

This deal now pushes the Habs into using LTIR for Andrei Markov, though it will still take 33 days before the team receives a credit for it. This is because it will take that long to eliminate the cap space that the Habs have accrued to this point in the season. Should the team assign one of their blueliners down in the coming days, that 33 days will increase, though they still will be into LTIR in February.

Using LTIR means that a team will finish the season with exactly $0.00 in cap space. Thus, any bonuses earned by Yannick Weber or Lars Eller will push the Habs over the cap next year, earning them a cap penalty for the 2nd straight season.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That was a fun 2 hours, my checklist of things to do for the site once I learned about the trade:

- Write general trade article,

- Post notes here,

- Update capsheet,

- Update Twitter page with something that hasn't been said yet (hard to do with so many comments flying around),

- Write player profile,

- Change site's poll,

- Update cap figures in the CBA section,

- Update cap page (contract list),

- Update waiver situation,

- Answer e-mails

Uh, break time now I think. :)

That was a fun 2 hours, my checklist of things to do for the site once I learned about the trade:

- Post notes here,

- Update capsheet,

- Update Twitter page with something that hasn't been said yet (hard to do with so many comments flying around),

- Write player profile,

- Change site's poll,

- Answer e-mails

Yup you deserve it. we all appreciate what you do.

As for the trade I'm thrilled. This was one of the guys I wanted the Habs to go after, even with his plus minus. Plus he's in my Hockey pool, which may actually improve his stats.

I think the Habs should send down Weber. He's hardly playing and it doesn't help him to stay up. Subban should be the guy playing. Picard as the 7th d-man.

JM must keep PK... he must believe PK can be good (think of Byfuglien and Green) PK will play 20+ min a game

send Picard back to Hamilton when Gorges is healthy

bring all the left shooting Dmen back to the left position (i.e. Spacek)

pair the young guys with vets until Weber and PK heads are screwed in straight

AND Please take less penalties lol

I agree with HabFan84...send down Weber and keep Pk in fold...I think this is GREAT deal for Habs! No cost, instant upgrade with major potential upside...

Habs told Weber to get an apartment... he aint going down yet unless a trade is coming... otherwise hope Weber didnt get that apartment yet.

Habs told Weber to get an apartment... he aint going down yet unless a trade is coming... otherwise hope Weber didnt get that apartment yet.

First I hear of that, was it mentioned on the broadcast? (Since I don't speak French, I often miss key points...or the point on the RDS games :).)

First I hear of that, was it mentioned on the broadcast? (Since I don't speak French, I often miss key points...or the point on the RDS games :).)

RDS antichambre almost 2 weeks ago, then on RDS news

with all the holiday spirit and &^@(^%@

I forgot to say...

THANK YOU SANTA (P.Gauthier)

this WIZZ is more than welcome!

cant wait to see what changes come from his addition

This will male lapierre wake up too... notice he wears an A?

Edited by CoRvInA

another reason i like this move it shuts up a lot of maple leafs fans and what they think they can get for Tomas Kaberle..Wisniewski is younger, cheaper, as more grit and puts up about the same numbers.

Well he will add some grit to the RD, He should be paired with Hamrlik. get Spacek where he belongs on the 3rd pair.

If he clears the front of the net that will be worth the trade already.

Good solid pickup. Probably should be resigned as well. Subban and Weber will get there time to shine.

I thought i could easily pair wiz on the line-up but now....

ok if we want a top pairing and minute munching dman Wiz could be paired with Hammer or Spacek (this means running 23min+) but we want to limit spacek's time to 20 min a game... Second we want Hammer to help PK and when inserted Weber, when these guys are paired with hammer there is an increased TOI for the youngsters and increase in confidence... so Im hoping we can play everyone around 20 min give or take a minute

Hammer-Pk (20-21 min) or insert Weber here

Spacek (natural position)- Wiz (20-21 min)

Gill-Gorges

One of Picard or Weber should be 7th dman...the other is headed to Hamilton

but for these back to back games (assuming Gorges is still out) these could be pot line ups

Hammer-PK

Gill-Weber

Spacek-Wiz (Picard sits)

but if Weber sits we get this combo which doesnt make much sense

Hammer-PK

Picard-Wiz

Gill-Spacek

which means Hammer has to play either Spacek or Wiz leaving the kids alone again and resulting in weak low TOI pairings that JM was playing before

Hammer-Wiz

Gill-Spacek

Picard-PK

:wacko: don't know need to see what JM does at practice

Well, he did nothing at practice today, it was cancelled actually.

really? great!

well team chemistry practice then... It seems its at a low lately, hopefully these two games in florida are not as bad as last year's

Good acquisition. Now let's hope that we call up White from hamilton and maybe give Disharnais a chance on the second line center and move Gomez to the third line or put him on a wing.

Cammellerri - Plekanec - Kostytsin

Paciaretty - Desharnais - Gionta

Gomez - Halpern - Pouliot

White - Lapierre - Darche

Edited by nikohab

- Post notes here,

- Update capsheet,

- Write player profile,

- Change site's poll,

- Answer e-mails

Don't forget updating the front page with the "BREAKING NEWS" tag. What emails do you have to answer? People you share cap info with?

Well, like practically everyone else, I think this is a fine acquisition at a pretty acceptable price. Wiz is a right-handed defenceman - a major consideration - who has shown in both Anaheim and New York that he can produce useful offence and bring a physical dimension to our zone. Yes, his +/- is a concern, but that's a team stat as much as an individual one (if you doubt it, check the +/- of players on New Jersey). This acquisition has the potential to ramify throughout the lineup, reducing our dependency on overtaxed veterans and not-quite-ready-for-prime-time rookies. That is the key to this move; although Wiz himself is no superstar, the addition of a top-4 defenceman should, over time, serve to make the entire defence corps play better by removing the nee to use players inappropriately.

When Markov went down, I said we'd need to add a top-4 defenceman if we were to have any hope of contending. Given the current play of the team 'contending' now seems optimistic. Yet Wiz will make it significantly easier for the team to restore its commitment to JM's system - which is the vital factor to any success these guys will have.

Finally, we have another young-ish defenceman in the system who gives us an added safety net when it comes to the summer. His age is important. Right now we have a D caught in purgatory between declining old age and struggling youth. Wiz fills that gap.

Classic Gauthier move. A canny acquisition that, without being a blockbuster, has a good chance of yielding dividends beyond what the player himself would seem to imply.

It may take a few games but I would expect the benefits to begin to tell at some point in January.

:hlogo:

Well, like practically everyone else, I think this is a fine acquisition at a pretty acceptable price. Wiz is a right-handed defenceman - a major consideration - who has shown in both Anaheim and New York that he can produce useful offence and bring a physical dimension to our zone. Yes, his +/- is a concern, but that's a team stat as much as an individual one (if you doubt it, check the +/- of players on New Jersey). This acquisition has the potential to ramify throughout the lineup, reducing our dependency on overtaxed veterans and not-quite-ready-for-prime-time rookies. That is the key to this move; although Wiz himself is no superstar, the addition of a top-4 defenceman should, over time, serve to make the entire defence corps play better by removing the nee to use players inappropriately.

When Markov went down, I said we'd need to add a top-4 defenceman if we were to have any hope of contending. Given the current play of the team 'contending' now seems optimistic. Yet Wiz will make it significantly easier for the team to restore its commitment to JM's system - which is the vital factor to any success these guys will have.

Finally, we have another young-ish defenceman in the system who gives us an added safety net when it comes to the summer. His age is important. Right now we have a D caught in purgatory between declining old age and struggling youth. Wiz fills that gap.

Classic Gauthier move. A canny acquisition that, without being a blockbuster, has a good chance of yielding dividends beyond what the player himself would seem to imply.

It may take a few games but I would expect the benefits to begin to tell at some point in January.

:hlogo:

Gauthier so far has been perfect, my favourite Habs GM so far even though he's made so few changes.

The only thing now is a forward but Montreal doesn't have the cap space. 13-14-46, 67-11-21, 57-81 gives Montreal 8 forwards with decent offensive skills. One more and they have 3 complete scoring lines.

Gauthier so far has been perfect, my favourite Habs GM so far even though he's made so few changes.

The only thing now is a forward but Montreal doesn't have the cap space. 13-14-46, 67-11-21, 57-81 gives Montreal 8 forwards with decent offensive skills. One more and they have 3 complete scoring lines.

Oh they will...

When this trip is done, Hamilton will have several new or familiar faces coming back, positive they can car pool down there