Lapierre traded! (For Brett Festerling and a 5th Round 2012 pick)

JCPetit

Two of us have sent our 2 cents in for the trade, so I've gone ahead and posted those thoughts to the site. Our other writers will (hopefully) be adding to this over the weekend. http://www.habsworld.net/article.php?id=2332

And yippee for me, the large checklist from the Wisniewski deal (and about 5 other things) are now complete (the stuff that needs to be done every time there's a trade).

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Trade so far sucks...

An established 3rd 4th line NHLer for an AHL Dman

but if we get a Pavel Datsyuk with that 5th round pick then perhaps....

but it does allow us to reap the Hamilton pool more with Desharnais (on paper) potentially staying in Mtl for good... We were (are) close to losing Desharnais for this I think we gained!

I would still be inclined to get another D that can play 23min+. In waiting I wouldnt mind seeing another physical Dman come over from Hamilton that can handle 20+min when the time comes.

I would still be inclined to get another D that can play 23min+. In waiting I wouldnt mind seeing another physical Dman come over from Hamilton that can handle 20+min when the time comes.

Aside from the 20 minute part, that's Festerling basically, who played quite a physical game while with the Ducks last season.

I liked Laps in the playoffs , but frankly don't overly admire the agitating turtle routine. Good facial expressions sometimes as was pointed out, but making a little room in the lineup and a possibly useful D is quite OK with moi.

Edited by Toronthab

I liked Laps in the playoffs , but frankly don't overly admire the agitating turtle routine. Good facial expressions sometimes as was pointed out, but making a little room in the lineup and a possibly useful D is quite OK with moi.

Rats! I was looking forward to seeing Lapierres number hanging from the rafters at the Bell Center, (NOT).

:hlogo:

He was a strong skater, bigger than your average habs, an agitator, more goals in fewer quality minutes than a lot of more skilled players, but I don't see it as a big news item. He wasn't the brightest tool in the shed and on more than one occasion his penalties hurt the team.

Rats! I was looking forward to seeing Lapierres number hanging from the rafters at the Bell Center, (NOT).

:hlogo:

He was a strong skater, bigger than your average habs, an agitator, more goals in fewer quality minutes than a lot of more skilled players, but I don't see it as a big news item. He wasn't the brightest tool in the shed and on more than one occasion his penalties hurt the team.

What you have done in essence is replaced LaPierre with Desharnais, not that they would fill the same roles. I

I have seen Desharnais play, and think he may play better than one may think he is capable of. I hope he does well. My concern is that again we are getting smaller overall as a club up-front, which will not play for long during the play-offs. When this all sorts itself out, one of the smalls will have to be gone. Just my take!

Laps was a real bottom 6 player in the nhl. He was a center being forced to play wing since we didn't have a center job for him. He asked for a trade, privately. I have no issue with that.

My issue is why we could not find a way to trade him for another bottom 6 guy, maybe a winger, who perhaps didn't fit in well on his team. Instead, it appears we traded for nothing. Festerling is a potential number 7 D, which grow on trees.

We seem to lose more trades these days. Wis is a great pick up, but that is an uncoming free agent. We need to find some other teams Lats for a change. Cheerleaders on this site love to say how you can't get anyone better then we got (Halak, etc), but other teams seem to manage it. Look.. Anaheim just got a decent bottom 6 forward with some agitation, for a throw away defenseman they have given up on. Nice.

You don't often see a lot of bottom-6 for bottom-6 swaps, the Latendresse-Pouliot one was the exception, not the norm. If depth guys are dealt, it's usually because that player needs a change of scenery, or the team is looking to make room for someone. Here, it was both. Festerling serves a purpose, I'll say it right here: If he does get called up at some point (he instantly becomes the #1 in Hamilton right now), he becomes the team's top physical blueliner without question. I don't disagree that talent wise, it never looks good trading an NHL'er for a tweener D and a late pick, but that's about what the market is set for those guys right now. Maybe they could've held out for a 4th outright and no Festerling, but the team is better off getting the D depth even at the expense of dropping 30 spots in the draft.

One final note, as I noted in my comments on the trade (link earlier in the thread), it isn't going to be Festerling's performance that determines how the Habs make out here but rather Desharnais. Now there's a full time roster spot for him in the top-13. If he can produce, the Habs are winners as had they not made the deal, Desharnais would be suiting up against Lake Erie today...speaking of which...better make the GDT.

Trading Lapierre opened up a spot for Desharnais and within the next 10 games we will know if Desharnais can consistantley play well as a 2nd line center. If Desharnais does succeed then you can bet that Gomez will be moved to a new team and there are a few takers for Gomez. The other possible scenario would be to keep Gomez and make a trade for Langenbrunner and put him on a line with Gomez-Gionta. On a personal note I believe that Dustin Penner is the guy that will do very well with us and would trade AK46 along with a prospect to get him. My final note on the Lapierre trade is that it gets under my skin to see players that don't show up to play and take stupid penelties like he often did. I guess we will play against Lapierre on January 22nd of 2011. :clap:

Trading Lapierre opened up a spot for Desharnais and within the next 10 games we will know if Desharnais can consistantley play well as a 2nd line center. If Desharnais does succeed then you can bet that Gomez will be moved to a new team and there are a few takers for Gomez. The other possible scenario would be to keep Gomez and make a trade for Langenbrunner and put him on a line with Gomez-Gionta. On a personal note I believe that Dustin Penner is the guy that will do very well with us and would trade AK46 along with a prospect to get him. My final note on the Lapierre trade is that it gets under my skin to see players that don't show up to play and take stupid penelties like he often did. I guess we will play against Lapierre on January 22nd of 2011. :clap:

As I've stated before, there is 0 chance that Gomez gets moved. He has been better of late and if he keeps it up for the rest of the season and playoffs, then there's a slim chance. But until that salary drops dramatically towards the back of the contract, saying that are a "few" takers is overselling things some. Name a team who can use and afford Gomez and then ask why they wouldn't go after Marc Savard instead, cheaper salary, cap hit, and better player.

I agree that Penner would be a good fit, but in the scenario you proposed, it'd have to be a pretty good prospect going with Kostitsyn for Tambellini and the Oilers to bite.

nikohab, several takers for Gomez? not a chance. like I said in another thread, he's as untouchable as Crosby and Ovechkin. And we all know exactly why.

I agree Gomez is difficult and almost impossible to move, but I do think that Edmonton might bite at both Gomez and spacek. They need an experienced centre to play with their wonder kid wingers and they have absolutely no defense. It might not be a bad move if they were to trade souray and his $5.5m or 6m cap hit for Gomez's $7.2m cap hit. I know next year Gomez is getting $8m and Souray only around $4.5m, but I think they'd rather pay $8m to someone to actually play for them, rather then $4.5m to someone in the minors. They would then get Gomez for around $4.5m for the remainder of his contract. I of course want nothing to do with Souray and would want to keep him buried in the minors.

Edmonton also has history with spacek and has no defense, with another potential lottery pick where they can pick a young dman, they might not be adverse to having spacek as a mentor for a year.

Given the difficulty Edmonton has in signing free agents, they just might bite.

I also like Penner - isn't his contract with Edmonton up this year, or does he have another year remaining? From what ive read and heard Edmonton isnt too happ with him - He is inconsistent like pouliot and Ak46, but he would give us a big physical presence. Maybe if we were to offer a Gomez-pouliot-spacek for souray-penner they might bite. Salaries should work.

If we can dump those two salaries, we would clear over $12m for next year - of course penner would eat up $4m, but it would leave us with around $8m to upgrade our D.

Edited by hab29RETIRED

Souray, 1 year left at $5.4, with NTC. Penner, 1 year left at $4.25. Horcoff, who'd have to come back in a Gomez deal, 4 years at $5.5 per, buyout prohibitive front-loaded deal like Gomez.

I'm sure Souray would wave his NTC If he thought there was a better chance of getting out of the minors. I don't know why Horcoff would have to come back- I don't think edmonton is up against the cap this year (could be wrong) and Khabiboulin is coming off the books next year.

I'm sure Souray would wave his NTC If he thought there was a better chance of getting out of the minors. I don't know why Horcoff would have to come back- I don't think edmonton is up against the cap this year (could be wrong) and Khabiboulin is coming off the books next year.

2 more years for the Bulin wall and I agree on Souray, just putting the notes out there. As for sending Horcoff back, why is Edmonton absorbing another albatross contract if Gomez is as bad as you've called him out for being? They have the cap space but could spend it better than Gomez (Savard?). Perhaps he needs a change of scenery (and I'm not convinced of that), but they feel the same way about Horcoff. The Habs, if they could find a taker for Gomez, aren't shedding years of obligation and millions in cap hit in such a deal. Big ticket for big ticket will be the way they'd have to go. Speaking of Horcoff, forgot to mention full NMC for him.

Poor Gomez, from Manhattan to Edmonton... At least it would feel more like home, Alaska!! He must have some sort of no trade clause anyway.

Very limited, what I know about it is listed in the CBA FAQ thread pinned in this forum if you're interested. No idea if Edmonton would be on his no-trade list or not.

Very limited, what I know about it is listed in the CBA FAQ thread pinned in this forum if you're interested. No idea if Edmonton would be on his no-trade list or not.

You're good at this dude!! Happy New Year.

You're good at this dude!! Happy New Year.

Same to you. I'm honoured that you used your milestone post (1,000) to give me a compliment. :) Of the Habs' restrictive clauses, his is the hardest to peg, no one seems to be fully sure since it's not cut and dry like the others.

2 more years for the Bulin wall and I agree on Souray, just putting the notes out there. As for sending Horcoff back, why is Edmonton absorbing another albatross contract if Gomez is as bad as you've called him out for being? They have the cap space but could spend it better than Gomez (Savard?). Perhaps he needs a change of scenery (and I'm not convinced of that), but they feel the same way about Horcoff. The Habs, if they could find a taker for Gomez, aren't shedding years of obligation and millions in cap hit in such a deal. Big ticket for big ticket will be the way they'd have to go. Speaking of Horcoff, forgot to mention full NMC for him.

They signed the bulin wall for 4 years at his age? Yikes!

I don't know I think we would still be taking one big contract back in return. I wouldn't touch Horcoff with a ten foot pole.

As much as I think Gomez is over paid - he is better then Horcoff. Although I can understand the oilers signing him to that stupid deal - hardly anyone else was willing to sign. What I don't get on deals like Horcoff, redden, Gomez and drury, is for the most part the team (nyr and edm) were really only bidding against themselves - no one else was willing to offer even close to what the oilers or nyr did.

That's also why I hated the Hammer signing. Calgary was only willing to sign him for $4m for TWO years - and that was one of the dumbest GM's after milbury!

Sather really fxxed up the market for free agents. I'd say in the last 15 years, the worst gm's have been Milbury (probably the worst ever), Sutter, sather and Ferguson.

Edited by hab29RETIRED

Rangers weren't bidding against themselves for Gomez, it was well known the Habs were really going after him (there was 1 other team who went all in for him as well, forget who though). Interestingly enough, them doing so drove up the price and helped to place them where they are now.

Rangers weren't bidding against themselves for Gomez, it was well known the Habs were really going after him (there was 1 other team who went all in for him as well, forget who though). Interestingly enough, them doing so drove up the price and helped to place them where they are now.

By bidding against themselves, I mean in terms of the dollars offered. From what I recall, no one came even close to offering what the rangers offered Gomez, Drury or Redden. Similarly, no one offered similar term or dollars to Hamrlik either. The flames reportdedly wanted Hammer back, but only on a two year $4M deal. In hindsight, for the Flames, it probably would have been good to have Hammer work with Phaneuf for another year.

Edited by hab29RETIRED

As I've stated before, there is 0 chance that Gomez gets moved. He has been better of late and if he keeps it up for the rest of the season and playoffs, then there's a slim chance. But until that salary drops dramatically towards the back of the contract, saying that are a "few" takers is overselling things some. Name a team who can use and afford Gomez and then ask why they wouldn't go after Marc Savard instead, cheaper salary, cap hit, and better player.

I agree that Penner would be a good fit, but in the scenario you proposed, it'd have to be a pretty good prospect going with Kostitsyn for Tambellini and the Oilers to bite.

I always thought that the oilers would be a good fit for Gomez. They have the cap space and they have lot's of young talent that would benefit playing with a guy like Gomez.