GDT: Flames vs Canadiens, Jan. 17

dlbalr

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the habs blow this one, its going to be a painful day at the office tomorrow :angry:

brutal.. the collapse is almost complete.. 4 straight goals...I can't even blame Auld.. where the hell is the coverage...

Hopefully putting Price in will wake the team up.

I don't know about that. AUld seemed lucky during the first - lots of posts and the side of the net. It could have easily been 3 goals for the flames in the 1st.

Great another too many men on the ice penalty - how many is that now??? :angry:

If the habs blow this one, its going to be a painful day at the office tomorrow :angry:

I don't know about that. AUld seemed lucky during the first - lots of posts and the side of the net. It could have easily been 3 goals for the flames in the 1st.

Almost Leafy

They should review that information before every game. 3 up, 2 back, I goalie. It worked for my team. :D

Crap, crap, crap, started out a great night. I was thinking how fun it would be rubbing it in to all the flames fans tomorrow. now even if the habs salvage this, its going to be painful tomorrow.

He didn't look any luckier then Price did against NY. The rangers missed a pile of empty nets.. several posts, one where Price was on his stomach and the guy didn't get it up at all. We have hit a few posts too... I thought Auld was okay in the first 30 minutes. Its hard when the team clearly stops working in front of you. Two goals from guys alone in front. One a double tip from the point. One was teed up for a blaster along the ice. He could have had that one, but it was a great shot. I am not praising him, just putting most of the blame where it belongs.. the team in front of him.

He didn't look any luckier then Price did against NY. The rangers missed a pile of empty nets.. several posts, one where Price was on his stomach and the guy didn't get it up at all. We have hit a few posts too... I thought Auld was okay in the first 30 minutes. Its hard when the team clearly stops working in front of you. Two goals from guys alone in front. One a double tip from the point. One was teed up for a blaster along the ice. He could have had that one, but it was a great shot. I am not praising him, just putting most of the blame where it belongs.. the team in front of him.

Can't comment on Price on the last game, except the last missed shot - I only caught the last part of the 3rd and he looked pretty good then.

However, I'm not blaming Auld entirely either. But at some point you need a few big saves. I'm not a big Auld fan, hated the signing, so my patience with him is like patience with JM - thin to none ^_^

The habs were lucky on a couple of goals to, with Pardy tipping them in.

Bottom line though is I don't know what it is about the habs for the last decade or so. When they get ahead with a good lead, they just don't have that killer instinct to totally destroy the opposition. I don't know maybe the listen to much to that loudmouth Grapes about not running up the score. I don't care what the score is, you keep going it at and never quit until the final buzzer. THis is just painful to watch and Karlson has been VERY good for the flames of late. Quite a few media guys here have been pushing form the flames to let Karlson run with as many starts as possible down the stretch.

Edited by hab29RETIRED

Can't comment on Price on the last game, except the last missed shot - I only caught the last part of the 3rd and he looked pretty good then.

However, I'm not blaming Auld entirely either. But at some point you need a few big saves. I'm not a big Auld fan, hated the signing, so my patience with him is like patience with JM - thin to none ^_^

The habs were lucky on a couple of goals to, with Pardy tipping them in.

Bottom line though is I don't know what it is about the habs for the last decade or so. When they get ahead with a good lead, they just don't have that killer instinct to totally destroy the opposition. I don't know maybe the listen to much to that loudmouth Grapes about not running up the score. I don't care what the score is, you keep going it at and never quit until the final buzzer. THis is just painful to watch and Karlson has been VERY good for the flames of late. Quite a few media guys here have been pushing form the flames to let Karlson run with as many starts as possible down the stretch.

I am no Auld fan either. We were spoiled last year to have two great goalies.

I agree on your other points. I watch other teams turn a win into a romp.. we turn a win into either a nail biter or a loss. I know that Calgary pushed back in the 2nd, but that is when you push back harder.. not just float...

We better get two points tonight... or they blew it.

What a rocket by Subban - nice to see him use a wrister and not telegraph the usual long winded slap shot.

As happy as I am that the Habs won, I am very disappointed with the team. Those two points should of been locked up midway through the second, if only we had continued to play. Oh well I guess, two points is two points.

YaaHHHHHHH!

So cool that they made it close so we could enjoy more suspense!

Sports is funny that way. Who needs a romp all year? And nail biters leave our nails shorter. :o

What a rocket by Subban - nice to see him use a wrister and not telegraph the usual long winded slap shot.

Super shot.

That Gomez is quite the head out there. he may not have been doing a lot this year, but I like watching him play.

YaaHHHHHHH!

So cool that they made it close so we could enjoy more suspense!

Sports is funny that way. Who needs a romp all year? And nail biters leave our nails shorter. :o

Super shot.

That Gomez is quite the head out there. he may not have been doing a lot this year, but I like watching him play.

those of us high strung types with high blood pressure could use a nice easy romp once in a while. ^_^

I thought both contracts were given by Sutter. If Hagman already had a bad contract that makes the pickup even worse! The only guy from that deal that would have been worth keeping was White and he was dumped. I just blows me away that ANYONE would want FOUR players from the 2nd worst team in hockey!

Maybe they were dumping Phaneuf's contract. The guy has been terrible in Toronto and still has 4 years of a 6.5M cap hit.

I am no Auld fan either. We were spoiled last year to have two great goalies.

I agree on your other points. I watch other teams turn a win into a romp.. we turn a win into either a nail biter or a loss. I know that Calgary pushed back in the 2nd, but that is when you push back harder.. not just float...

We better get two points tonight... or they blew it.

Auld is a backup goalie. He is a placeholder. He is 3-2 with a .926 SV%.

If you have to lean on him, you are screwed, but as long as the Habs play solid (like they have in most his starts) he is fine.

I wonder what the price would be for Giguere who is on the block. Although that could create all kinds of headaches.

Maybe they were dumping Phaneuf's contract. The guy has been terrible in Toronto and still has 4 years of a 6.5M cap hit.

Oh, its no question he was trying to dump a bad contract - Phaneuf was pretty lousy during his last year and half and horrible during his last year in Calgary, on top of being a dressing room distraction who on more then one occasion was reported in shouting matches with Brett Sutter. The calgary media denied this and brushed the incidents under the table, but the incidents were reported by visiting media.

The deal he got was the kind of issue I have with a lot of the habs deals - the flames offered Phaneuf both term and $$$ coming out of his entry level deal, when they really held all the cards, since he was an RFA. I have no issue with a team offering one or the other to lock up a player, but it just doesn't make sense to offer both. The only team that has made that kind of poaching attempt with that type of $/terms to an RFA in the post-lockout era is Edmonton (Vanek).

The issue with the deal is that it was done the same way as the Joe Thornton deal - there really wasn't any real attempt to create a market for Phaneuf. Just like the Thornton deal, several GM's were on record saying they had no idea he was available and wished they had known he was available.

There was no reason to make a deal like this during the year, since when you are trying to move that much money, its pretty hard to make a true hockey deal - unless you make it with another bottom feeder with cap room. As it was, it was a deal between two teams moving bad contracts. This kind of deal should have been made after the season ended when you aren't restricted in the dollars you take back, or the flames could have tried to get some draft picks back Sutter ended up retaining more bad contracts (inherited and resigned) then he gave up in Phaneuf. He also didn't address the flames most glaring need for the past decade - a centre to play with Iginla.

You can argue that the he gambled to to make a push to make the playoffs, but why would you want to pick up the scrubs from a bottom feeder that hasn't made the playoffs since what - before the lockout???

Edited by hab29RETIRED

One question, they said on RDS that Spacek was a last minute call or he would have

sit tonight for Picard. Is he in JM dog pound ??

He only played 12 minutes against the Rags for one turnover.

He had a monster first period and ended with less ice time than Gill who has way too much ice time.

Meanwhile Hammer and Wiz were really bad out there.

One question, they said on RDS that Spacek was a last minute call or he would have

sit tonight for Picard. Is he in JM dog pound ??

He only played 12 minutes against the Rags for one turnover.

He had a monster first period and ended with less ice time than Gill who has way too much ice time.

Meanwhile Hammer and Wiz were really bad out there.

I had thought that Picard was going to play for Wiz, who might have been sick. Ithought Spacek was horrible in the third - but then he had a lot of company, as I really thought the only habs that were more good then bad in the third were Pleks and Ak46.

Edited by hab29RETIRED