Former Habs

l.moustakas

There is Komi, but there is also Sheldon Souray who I miss. However, I don't miss last couple years Souray, but the good ol' Sheldon of 2004.

I still remember watching this game with both my parents. One that I'll remember for a long time. http://www.nhl.com/scores/htmlreports/20032004/GS020627.HTM

I can't believe we actually had a 4th line made up of Kilger, Juneau and Dackell...eesh! That's not pretty!

I can't believe we actually had a 4th line made up of Kilger, Juneau and Dackell...eesh! That's not pretty!

Wanna see something not pretty ? http://hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/leagues/seasons/teams/0000452000.html

oh my GOD!!! where is the Puke emoticon?

Not a single player above 50 points,

Did we not get a first overall pick for that lousy year?!?>!>

I was out of Canada at that time, Thank goodness! so never saw single game for that season and the next

oh my GOD!!! where is the Puke emoticon?

Not a single player above 50 points,

Did we not get a first overall pick for that lousy year?!?>!>

I was out of Canada at that time, Thank goodness! so never saw single game for that season and the next

Haven't had any luck getting the old emoticons back yet, sadly. That team finished 10th in the East with a 35-34-9-4 record and missed the playoffs only by 2 points somehow. Most of the players stepped up their game, it was just an overwhelming lack of healthy talent that did them in.

• 3 weeks later...

I think you're jumping the gun on Sergei. He's hot now, but let's wait and see how he does over the longer haul, shall we? The same could be said of Latendresse, who apparently contributed to his own injuries this season by showing up to camp - wait for it - out of shape. As for Streit, you are obviously bang on; that was a huge mistake. Of course, many of us failed to see the mistake at the time, dwelling instead on Streit's dodgy play in his own end.

Funnily enough, I don't really miss Koivu. We had him for his entire prime and he was clearly on the downside when Bob cut him loose. The present team has sufficient leadership and character and him sticking around may have made it harder for that leadership core to take over. None of this takes away from Saku's tremendous contributions as the lone bright spot in the darkest era in Habs' history. We emphatically should not retire his sweater, but there should definitely be a Saku Koivu Night or some other means of honouring him properly, sooner or later.

I'm surprised to realize this, but the two that I 'miss' - by which I mean, that I'm kinda nostaligc for - are Kovalev and, somehow, Komisarek. In hockey terms, I take Gionta over Kovy is a micro-second, but for sheer entertainment, Kovy never disappointed. (Even his bad seasons took on the character of a tragi-comic psycho-drama). The career arc of Komisarek, meanwhile, is a major disappointment to me. I really thought he was going to become a fearsome, punishing, elite shut-down defenceman and the backbone of our D for years to come. Clearly I could not have been more wrong, but Komisarek seems to epitomize for me all the hopes I felt for Gainey Rebuild 1.0, and all the disappointment that it ultimately brought. In the end, it's not Komi I miss so much as the hope he represented. In my mind he is the symbol of a uniquely bittersweet phase in my experience as a Habs' fan.

Well maybe I'm still jumping the gun but Sergei scored twice more last night in a 3-0 win over Detroit including a highlight reel short handed goal.

He's now got 14 goals and 16 assists for 30 points and is +4. Plek is our top scorer with 43 pts followed by Cammalleri with 31 and AK with 29.

I'm not really surprised since I thought he was pretty good with us.

Well maybe I'm still jumping the gun but Sergei scored twice more last night in a 3-0 win over Detroit including a highlight reel short handed goal.

He's now got 14 goals and 16 assists for 30 points and is +4. Plek is our top scorer with 43 pts followed by Cammalleri with 31 and AK with 29.

I'm not really surprised since I thought he was pretty good with us.

Not too mention that most of those points have come in 30 games (27 in 30) after a brutal start to the year. I always liked Sergei, but he would have never succeeded in Montreal with his attitude. Sure we miss those points, but I'm happier having a solid, drama-free locker room.

Not too mention that most of those points have come in 30 games (27 in 30) after a brutal start to the year. I always liked Sergei, but he would have never succeeded in Montreal with his attitude. Sure we miss those points, but I'm happier having a solid, drama-free locker room.

Well I find it strange that he seems to be fine in the Nashville dressing room.

Well I find it strange that he seems to be fine in the Nashville dressing room.

He had issues with Carbonneau, Gainey, and Martin. Perhaps after being shipped out, getting called out in Nashville's camp for being lazy and unmotivated, and benched at the beginning of the year woke him up (along with numerous injuries to key Predators), plus the realization that if he didn't smarten up, he'd probably be out of the league next season. Somewhere along the line, he may have realized he was, at least in large part, the master of his own demise and got his act together. Considering the aforementioned Hab coaches/GM tried playing him more, less, sitting him, demoting him in lines and team (to Hamilton), and basically calling him out privately and publicly, they exhausted basically every avenue they could and Kostitsyn wouldn't/couldn't listen. Unless he had a life changing experience in Montreal had he stayed, it's safe to assume we'd have seen more of the old Kostitsyn than the one in Nashville.

The fact there's no hockey media in Nashville either helps in terms of seeing no controversy...when was the last time you ever heard of a clash in the locker room in Nashville? Just because there's nothing being reported doesn't mean the same issues aren't existent in some way, shape, or form.

He had issues with Carbonneau, Gainey, and Martin. Perhaps after being shipped out, getting called out in Nashville's camp for being lazy and unmotivated, and benched at the beginning of the year woke him up (along with numerous injuries to key Predators), plus the realization that if he didn't smarten up, he'd probably be out of the league next season. Somewhere along the line, he may have realized he was, at least in large part, the master of his own demise and got his act together. Considering the aforementioned habs coaches/GM tried playing him more, less, sitting him, demoting him in lines and team (to Hamilton), and basically calling him out privately and publicly, they exhausted basically every avenue they could and Kostitsyn wouldn't/couldn't listen. Unless he had a life changing experience in Montreal had he stayed, it's safe to assume we'd have seen more of the old Kostitsyn than the one in Nashville.

The fact there's no hockey media in Nashville either helps in terms of seeing no controversy...when was the last time you ever heard of a clash in the locker room in Nashville? Just because there's nothing being reported doesn't mean the same issues aren't existent in some way, shape, or form.

This consistent whining about S. Kostitsyn is an attempt at revisionist history for those who like to complain.

He refused an assignment to Hamilton, not once, but TWICE and then walked out on the team. All reported and all noted by other GMs. His expected return = Zero and that is what we got for him. No body here, move on people.

Just in case... M.A. Bergeron after notching two assists on the PP on Sunday...was a game leading -4 on Tuesday in the loss against St Louis

LOL

Edited by Wamsley01

This consistent whining about S. Kostitsyn is an attempt at revisionist history for those who like to complain.

He refused an assignment to Hamilton, not once, but TWICE and then walked out on the team. All reported and all noted by other GMs. His expected return = Zero and that is what we got for him. No body here, move on people.

Some people like to wonder what could have been. I'm like you, wasn't expecting much in the return (heck, I was impressed they got a warm body out of it) and expected Kostitsyn would put up some better numbers. Yes, the Habs did lose out on the deal since Kostitsyn now is playing better but could anyone really have expected the Habs to welcome him back after the farce from last season, not to mention what Wamsley noted before? It was a no-win situation either way, bring him back and have a repeat of last year or take less in value than what his raw potential might indicate and hope that return worked out. Lots of teams go through it, it happens.

Anyone saw Fowler's OT goal last night, with an assist from Koivu? It reminded me that Subban goal from Gomez. Fowler skated past Koivu to celebrate. Koivu managed to touch him and skated to the forming crowd around Fowler. Koivu celebrated the goal and the victory. That's a big contrast with the reaction of Gomez. Nothing seems to work for him and it seems to make him jealous that basically everything Subban tries works. Koivu wasn't the perfect leader, but still, shown more last night than Gomez. ANyways, not that those incidents are a big deals, but it contributes to reveal what kind of character they have and the chemistry inside the locker room..

Some people like to wonder what could have been. I'm like you, wasn't expecting much in the return (heck, I was impressed they got a warm body out of it) and expected Kostitsyn would put up some better numbers. Yes, the Habs did lose out on the deal since Kostitsyn now is playing better but could anyone really have expected the Habs to welcome him back after the farce from last season, not to mention what Wamsley noted before? It was a no-win situation either way, bring him back and have a repeat of last year or take less in value than what his raw potential might indicate and hope that return worked out. Lots of teams go through it, it happens.

Kostitsyn was identified by the Bulldogs' coaching staff as a basically lazy and immature player. I remember the coach (I forget his name now :rolleyes: ) expressing surprise at Kostitsyn's work ethic in his first season with us - a remark that I took note of, at a time when Sergei seemed like a can't miss kid. The point is, Sergei has shown himself able to suck it up and put in the necessary effort for periods of time in the past. He showed it with us in his first half-season. What he was NOT able to do with us was to sustain that kind of commitment over time. That's why I say we should withhold judgement before declaring that he has experienced a conversion on the road to Nashville. Sooner or later, he may revert to his old ways: entitlement, arrogance, poor team commitment and laziness.

Beyond that, Wamsley's right.

I believe you're referring to Don Lever, who coached the Bulldogs up until the beginning of last season. He was there for their Calder Cup run as well (Kostitsyn was supposed to be but whined about not playing so he was sent home).