GDT: Canadiens vs Sabres, Jan. 18

dlbalr

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

After a bit of entertainment as 2 HW editors kept undoing each others' edits, the HW 3 Stars are now up: http://www.habsworld...cle.php?id=2353

Injury updates:

Cammalleri (shoulder), 2 week minimum, could be closer to 4-6

Pacioretty (rib), taken to hospital for precautionary measures, no more details

Halpern (shoulder), no further details given, played extremely limited ice time

Gill (wrist?), nothing serious, not expected to miss time

As for the game itself, a very iffy call ultimately decided it but full credit to the Habs for an otherwise gutsy effort. They earned that point for sure. Props to Gomez too for being diplomatic about the call and still putting this on his shoulders; justified or not, I like when a teammate steps up and basically says "it's on me, boys." The big thing will be to see how he responds afterwards having put the blame on himself.

No surprise here, no practice tomorrow.

Just heard on RDS that Camms is gonna be out 4 to 6 weeks. Most likely a dislocated shoulder. My guess is that Max Pac will be out for at least 4 weeks as well, and Halpern...well we don't know. But we do know that Halpern's pain tolerance is pretty high, so whatever happened to him, must be serious.

Even though we got the point, this game could be a turning point in our season.

It's a nightmare. The best parallel is with that notorious 'barberpole jersey' game in 2009 when we lost Lang and some other key player(s) (I forget the details). We are now missing our best and our steadiest defencemen, as well as 2/3 of our second line. The optimist says that this is the chance for our depth to shine and other guys to step up (e.g., Desharnais - who I continue to believe in - Kostitsyn and Pouliot). The pessimist says you don't win when the list of wounded includes your best sniper, your emerging power forward, your top defenceman, your heart-and-soul #4a blueline minute-muncher, and perhaps your wily checking C (Halpern). I mean, this is ridiculous.

At least we had these injuries occur now, not on March 30th. Not much of a consolation I know but I gotta see a silver lining. As for the refs, it's not just this game. Pretty well every 82 games of every team has garbage reffing written all over it. What is a penalty in the 1st isn't in the 3rd or vice versa. The NHL reffing system wreaks - always has realy - always will. The 2 ref system is stupid anyway. Two interpretations. One says icing, the other says no icing. I think a solution would be to team refs together from day 1 to day 180. That is, if John and Bob are paired for game 1 of the season, they should be paired the whole way. No more mix and match crap

At least we had these injuries occur now, not on March 30th. Not much of a consolation I know but I gotta see a silver lining. As for the refs, it's not just this game. Pretty well every 82 games of every team has garbage reffing written all over it. What is a penalty in the 1st isn't in the 3rd or vice versa. The NHL reffing system wreaks - always has realy - always will. The 2 ref system is stupid anyway. Two interpretations. One says icing, the other says no icing. I think a solution would be to team refs together from day 1 to day 180. That is, if John and Bob are paired for game 1 of the season, they should be paired the whole way. No more mix and match crap

The problem there is that one doesn't eliminate the other... huh.gif

Was at the game last night and the reffing was terrible.

There were severeal missed calls against both clubs. The two penalties that led to the two Buffalo goals were both shit calls by the refs. The Gill tripping call was terrible and so was the Gomez high sticking one. Its unfortunate Montreal lost a point to this. More unfortunate is the injury to Cammalleri. Pacioretty wont hurt as much.

You could tell by the feeling in the building that as soon as Miller made that big stop on the partial break that Buffalo was going to score. Its amazing how quickly the energy in the building changed. BUffalo could smell blood. MOnteal was weak and Buffalo capatalized. Amazing to watch and feel.

Edited by kaos

You can't complain about the effort and hard work. they ran out of gas with about 10 minutes left in the 3rd. Pleks had 2 chances to score and missed late.

The injuries may be the undueing of the team but they do show character when the chips are down. Eller and Ak46 will have to be more productive. I assume they call up Palushaj to play with Gomez and Gionta. I don't know who else will play. You have to leave Darche and Pouliot together,

What's the need to worry about depth there must be plenty of depth the GM gave two

NHL'ers this year for nothing.

Losing a sniper who net 13 goals in half a season, ouf it hurts, and especially his shoulders

the most useful part of his body with all the checks he made this year 13.

What's the need to worry about depth there must be plenty of depth the GM gave two

NHL'ers this year for nothing.

Losing a sniper who net 13 goals in half a season, ouf it hurts, and especially his shoulders

the most useful part of his body with all the checks he made this year 13.

There is a debate going on about who is next in line or how do the Habs fill the gaps due to injury. I think they are still in accessing the damage mode. I do believe at some point you have to determine what you got in Wyman,Maxwell and White. Boyd might be your best player right now (lose him now or lose him later?) After what happened to Wellwood yesterday I would be careful putting anyone that had any immediate value on the waiver wire. I wouldn't panic yet.

There is a debate going on about who is next in line or how do the Habs fill the gaps due to injury. I think they are still in accessing the damage mode. I do believe at some point you have to determine what you got in Wyman,Maxwell and White. Boyd might be your best player right now (lose him now or lose him later?) After what happened to Wellwood yesterday I would be careful putting anyone that had any immediate value on the waiver wire. I wouldn't panic yet.

Tough to tell who they should call up. Maxwell is a centre, I think we're okay there even if Halpern is out a little while, as Pyatt or Eller can shift over. White and Wyman could slide into a bottom six role probably a bit easier, with Pouliot moving up to take some of Cammalleri's minutes.

Tough to tell who they should call up. Maxwell is a centre, I think we're okay there even if Halpern is out a little while, as Pyatt or Eller can shift over. White and Wyman could slide into a bottom six role probably a bit easier, with Pouliot moving up to take some of Cammalleri's minutes.

The debate is coming from other boards but these questions must be on the minds of all Habs fans considering what happened last night. For the record, White is also a center although I don't know the last time he played there. I hear the name Palushaj, but I don't think he is even close to being ready. We have the waiver wire and we have extra defensemen that could in a pinch play forward. I am not concerned yet, i am just putting it out there.

The debate is coming from other boards but these questions must be on the minds of all Habs fans considering what happened last night. For the record, White is also a center although I don't know the last time he played there. I hear the name Palushaj, but I don't think he is even close to being ready. We have the waiver wire and we have extra defensemen that could in a pinch play forward. I am not concerned yet, i am just putting it out there.

Another possibility: Louis Leblanc. Just saying.

Another possibility: Louis Leblanc. Just saying.

Short-term, yep. Can't see the Habs wanting to burn a full year off his entry level deal though so it'd be a max 9 game callup. If the Habs are trying to conserve cap space too, that'd all but kill his chances as aside from Engqvist, he's the most expensive option available.