Koivu's Return

Habsfan84

9 members have voted

1. 1. Will Koivu ever return to the Habs?

• Yes
    • No

It will be a huge night tomorrow when Saku Koivu makes his return to the city he called home for 13 years. I feel that his return justifies a topic just associated to him. Tell us your favourite Saku Koivu moment.

I hope he eventually comes back and retires a habs. He is one player that deserves a lot of respect and is loved by most of Habs faithful. I expect the Habs to give him a great ovation. Also there is a facebook movement for him to be one of the games stars tomorrow, since the stars are voted on by fans, so we will see what happens.

Koivu02.jpg

Make sure to listen to the audio of the news conference that he had today. It was a very emotional 38 minute conference:

Full Saku Koivu Press Conference

Edited by Habsfan84

It will be a huge night tomorrow when Saku Koivu makes his return to the city he called home for 13 years. I feel that his return justifies a topic just associated to him. Tell us your favourite Saku Koivu moment.

I hope he eventually comes back and retires a habs. He is one player that deserves a lot of respect and is loved by most of Habs faithful. I expect the Habs to give him a great ovation. Also there is a facebook movement for him to be one of the games stars tomorrow, since the stars are voted on by fans, so we will see what happens.

Koivu02.jpg

Make sure to listen to the audio of the news conference that he had today. It was a very emotional 38 minute conference:

Full Saku Koivu Press Conference

I can't believe it took this long for this thread.

For me the greatest moment that wasn't his cancer return was the goal against Boston in 2002.

Not only did it allow the fans to finally explode with the joy and appreciation they felt, but it capped a 3-1 third period deficit.

I can't believe it took this long for this thread.

For me the greatest moment that wasn't his cancer return was the goal against Boston in 2002.

Not only did it allow the fans to finally explode with the joy and appreciation they felt, but it capped a 3-1 third period deficit.

Yep have to agree - rare but we do agree on this one :D . I was really pissed to see him go. He's not going to have his jersey retired on the habs, but on any other team in the NHL his jersey would definitely be retired. I can't help to think the player he could have been if he hadn't blown out his knee in his 2nd or 3rd year and then just having horribly awful luck injury wise only to get hit by Cancer.

I also can't help to think what could have been if Williams hadn't almost blinded him in the playoffs. :angry:

I'd love to be in Montreal at the game tomorrow - but will be wearing my Koivu jersey tomorrow. Best case scenerio, Koivu scores a hat trick and the habs win 4-3. Kinda like Guy's return.

Edited by hab29RETIRED

Good call, Wamsley! I guess that would have to be Saku's finest hour with us. Another that comes to mind is his shootout winner to cap the 5-goal comeback victory against the Rangers. It was just so fitting that it be Koivu to seal the deal.

Habs29retired, I'm with you on the 'might have beens.' So few people remember just how dominant Koivu was before that horrible knee blowout. The leading scorer in the NHL, 50 games into the season. No one ever seems to mention that this was the superstar that never was, all because of a ruined knee.

Despite being tragically damaged goods, Saku always stepped up in the playoffs. Carolina had to gouge out his eyeball to stop him. Joe Thornton was owned by him in the dance - twice.

Some fans used to gripe about Koivu, but for me the real shame was the Habs never provided him with the supporting cast he deserved. What should have been a truly magical career was martyred to injury and managerial incompetence.

Koivu returns to Montreal and the stupid ESPN America HAS to show Toronto against Washington... Its the "Hockeynight in canada" show and they pick Toronto on a night like this. GAH... Guess it'll be radio tonight.

Hilarious tweet coming from RDS' Renaud Lavoie from the Ducks morning skate. Apparently Ducks are making fun of koivu and lapierre lol

ducks players are cheering when Koivu touch the puck at the morning skate, but booing when Lapierre touch it !

http://twitter.com/#!/renhockey

I'm pretty sure this will be the reaction from the fans tonight at the Bell Centre. Although maybe fans might not be in the mood for booing Lapierre after crying on Saku.

The thing that stands out in my mind most about Koivu was when he was going through his cancer treatments. He came out on to the red carpet during player introductions to a game with a huge standing ovation resulting. Was it the first game of that season? Toronto being the opponent comes to mind, but I don't remember for sure.

I don't know if Saku will ever return with the habs. Maybe in a year or two, he could come for one final season with the habs!

Hilarious tweet coming from RDS' Renaud Lavoie from the Ducks morning skate. Apparently Ducks are making fun of koivu and lapierre lol

http://twitter.com/#!/renhockey

I'm pretty sure this will be the reaction from the fans tonight at the Bell Centre. Although maybe fans might not be in the mood for booing Lapierre after crying on Saku.

LOL... now that is some funny shyte.:lol:

One of the things that I dearly hate about the freakin' Habs is that they can make me cry like a baby.:(

This game has been put in my all-time vault for so many reasons.

1 KOIVU

2 LES PARTISANTS

3 KOIVU AT CENTRE ICE... ALONE

4 THE ORGANIZATION'S DECISION TO TRIBUTE

5 GOMEZ ASKING KOIVU AT FACE-OFF IF HE WANTS TO WIN THE FACE-OFF

6 KOIVU EXPERIENCING SOOOOOOO MANY EMOTIONS THAT HE DOES NOT REALIZE THE FACE-OFF WAS DROPPED AND THE PUCK IS LAYING AT HIS FEET

7 A GREAT GAME

8 THAT WE STILL HAVE A TEAM TO ICE EVEN THOUGH WE HAVE NUMEROUS INJURIES

9 PATCHES GRITTY COME BACK FROM HIS HOSPITAL TRIP

10 MY NEW-FOUND APPRECIATION FOR SOFT TISSUES.