Mini-GDT: Habs vs Flyers, Jan. 25

dlbalr

The Habs were so timid to start the 2nd, but that was understandable given the penalty barrage to end the first and I'm sure the coaches were hammering home the 'stay of the box speech.' Once they realized they weren't going to be called for every little infraction, they were a lot better. If nothing else, the majority of this game has shown me the Habs, despite the injuries, can at least compete with the top team in the NHL. Could be worse I suppose.

Well...does anyone really think we're better than the Flyers? If you set out to construct a team to defeat this edition of the Montreal Canadiens, you'd basically end up with this Flyers club. For me, it amounts to a dismally bad matchup, and we should just face the facts and hope we don't draw them in the playoffs again.

Well...does anyone really think we're better than the Flyers? If you set out to construct a team to defeat this edition of the Montreal Canadiens, you'd basically end up with this Flyers club. For me, it amounts to a dismally bad matchup, and we should just face the facts and hope we don't draw them in the playoffs again.

The Eastern Conference probably runs through the Flyers at some point like last year, sad to say. They're well constructed...in a bit of a cap trouble, but well built aside from that.

Can Ryan White do enough to stay in this league? The reason I ask is because at least he's standing up to the Flyers. Doing something. He doesn't look like some of our other players who look almost fragile.

The Habs getting too many men penalties is just ridiculous.

Someone's gotta be accountable.

There are now excuses when it happens over and over.

That was the 9th "too many men" call against the habs this year. I mean, at some point, who will take the responsibility for this?

I had a bad feeling about this game before it even started. Our boys were thinking of their vacation before the puck had dropped!

If nothing else, the majority of this game has shown me the Habs, despite the injuries, can at least compete with the top team in the NHL.

Forgive me for asking, but how exactly did you come to that conclusion? Everytime the flyers had a scoring chance, they buried it. When we had chances, we didn't.

We lost badly. I just don't see how we "competed" with the Flyers?

Edited by Habsfan

This team dominates the Habs so bad. The upside is that sooner or later, the Habs will start winning. In 07 and 08 the Canadiens owned the Bruins and beat them in the playoffs. The Bruins won the next season of 09 series and swept the Habs in the playoffs. It won't last long. Take Pronger, Coburn and Briere from the Flyers, give us a healthy Markov, Gorges and Cammie and see how things go. Really after all that domination, the Habs would have been well in this game if it wasn't for special teams. That's what killed them.

This team dominates the Habs so bad. The upside is that sooner or later, the Habs will start winning. In 07 and 08 the Canadiens owned the Bruins and beat them in the playoffs. The Bruins won the next season of 09 series and swept the Habs in the playoffs. It won't last long. Take Pronger, Coburn and Briere from the Flyers, give us a healthy Markov, Gorges and Cammie and see how things go. Really after all that domination, the Habs would have been well in this game if it wasn't for special teams. That's what killed them.

Exactly. The first 15 minutes of the game was AMAZING hockey from both sides. And then the 3 minors...

Obama was doing great though ;)

Did not tune in at all. Boston lost last night - here was our chance to get closer to them but I had a feeling - when we catch a break and the B's drop one we cannot seem to seize the opportunity. Oh well. January has been a good month. And I say we can beat the Flyers in the playoffs providing Carey grows a Patty Roy 1993 spine! And we know Gauthier is going to pull a trigger on something. It may just make us more complete like the Flyers

Boston didn't play last night. Rangers lost. Panthers play the Bruins tonight.

That was embarrassing at best. talk about playing scared. If there was a blue print in how to lose a game, that was it. Way too many stupid penalties, people keep mentioning too many men fine but AK46 a slash for no reason, followed by Spacek holding soemone in the corner, followed by Subban swinging his stick around, game over.

I would have a 1:00 bag skate this afternoon and leave that taste in their mouths for a few days.

Gotta feel bad for Price when the team does that to him.

All I can say is don't watch the game on Versus with the volume on. Otherwise, you're stuck with Darren Elliot's or Billy Jaffe's anti-Habs bias all night. I would've thought the Flyers were playing some pee-wee team with how bad the Habs apparently are.

I won't be disappointed from this loss. The Flyers are a better team. Coulda been a different game if you remove the prolonged 5-3's, with a couple of iffy calls in that group to make them a 5-3.

Forgive me for asking, but how exactly did you come to that conclusion? Everytime the flyers had a scoring chance, they buried it. When we had chances, we didn't.

We lost badly. I just don't see how we "competed" with the Flyers?

First 16 minutes of the game, who was the better team? There wasn't one, it was even. After the 5 minute mark in the 2nd, who was the better team? Also largely even. (The 3rd sucked for both sides but I made that comment before the 3rd so it's irrelevant.) If ~32/40 minutes of a game are mostly even, that shows to me that a team can compete. Take that penalty barrage from the 1st out and this is a 1-goal game the whole way in my opinion. The Flyers were the better team but in that 30-32 minute stretch, the Habs showed that despite the injuries, games against Philly aren't freebies for the Flyers.

First 16 minutes of the game, who was the better team? There wasn't one, it was even. After the 5 minute mark in the 2nd, who was the better team? Also largely even. (The 3rd sucked for both sides but I made that comment before the 3rd so it's irrelevant.) If ~32/40 minutes of a game are mostly even, that shows to me that a team can compete. Take that penalty barrage from the 1st out and this is a 1-goal game the whole way in my opinion. The Flyers were the better team but in that 30-32 minute stretch, the Habs showed that despite the injuries, games against Philly aren't freebies for the Flyers.

Well...I appreciate the nuance, but the sad fact is that ANY losing team can make this argument. Take away the mistakes, the penalties, the elements that made the team lose, and presto, you've got an 'even' game. Heck, many times in the late 1990s I saw the Habs play pretty competitive games against vastly superior opposition, but inevitably lose, precisely because the other team was simply able to make a handful of plays that the Habs weren't. So last night: IF they don't take those penalties...yeah, but they did. And incidentally the PK was not competent to shut the Flyers PP down. My guess is that, more often than not, when we play the Flyers there will be analogous things that we do, or that happen to us, that cause us to lose. That's just when happens when you're overmatched.

After we beat the Bruins last time, a widely-circulated post from a Bruins-fan message boad basically said that 'we may as well face it, the Bruins are the Habs' bitches.' I have a strong suspicion that the habs are the Flyers' bitches in exactly the same way (minus the 50 years of futility, natch :lol: )

The one qualifier is our injuries. MAYBE with Markov at 100% and the Wiz still in the lineup, we can give Philly a run for its money. That's how much faith I have in Markov. But as it stands, I'm pretty pessimistic and I think the evidence from last year's playoff backs that up. Our best hope remains that Philly somehow gets eliminated.

Well...I appreciate the nuance, but the sad fact is that ANY losing team can make this argument. Take away the mistakes, the penalties, the elements that made the team lose, and presto, you've got an 'even' game.

Some nights that argument can be made but there are games where teams simply get outclassed. Reading through the comments on this and other boards, I get the sense most Hab fans feel they were outclassed the other night but I really don't see it that way. The barrage of penalties was a joke, relative to what was let go on both sides early in the game (and the refs were just as bad giving make up calls on the other side too), that's why they came out so dead in the 2nd. They simply didn't know what to do for fear of getting called even more. That's not a regular occurrence in a game, that's an outlier. 3 legit calls that are made on a regular basis in that span is one thing, these weren't. If two of those are called each time it happens, 90% of NHL games would be played 3 on 3. I certainly acknowledge that the argument can be made often but I think there is some legitimacy here. The Flyers are the better team (and on the whole were on Tuesday night), no doubt, but they're not guaranteed losses for Montreal.

The Flyers are the better team (and on the whole were on Tuesday night), no doubt, but they're not guaranteed losses for Montreal.

Well, that much I agree with. We can beat them, just like we can beat any team. But in any given game the smart money's on the Flyers, much more obviously than is the case with most of our other opponents.

Some nights that argument can be made but there are games where teams simply get outclassed. Reading through the comments on this and other boards, I get the sense most habs fans feel they were outclassed the other night but I really don't see it that way. The barrage of penalties was a joke, relative to what was let go on both sides early in the game (and the refs were just as bad giving make up calls on the other side too), that's why they came out so dead in the 2nd. They simply didn't know what to do for fear of getting called even more. That's not a regular occurrence in a game, that's an outlier. 3 legit calls that are made on a regular basis in that span is one thing, these weren't. If two of those are called each time it happens, 90% of NHL games would be played 3 on 3. I certainly acknowledge that the argument can be made often but I think there is some legitimacy here. The Flyers are the better team (and on the whole were on Tuesday night), no doubt, but they're not guaranteed losses for Montreal.

I also think Montreal has played alright in the past two losses. They just played against teams that played great defense and that tends to make the other team look terrible because all the shots are coming from the outside. Philly's team D and shot blocking the other night were incredible.

But like The CC said, Habs just have to hope somebody else eliminates Philly. Montreal isn't getting by them in the playoffs this year.