Potential trade targets

dlbalr

As I've noticed the rumour thread is becoming more of a discussion on hypotheticals that could be available, it's worth starting a new thread to keep the rumour one for, well, rumours. :) Basically, who do you think will be available? Who would you want the Habs to target? Do they try and fill both the D and scoring F holes or try and plug one; if one, which?

I'll get things started by throwing Cory Stillman's name out there - an expiring deal, a $3.5 M cap hit and has over 80 games of playoff experience. With wingers like Kostitsyn and Darche tailing off scoring wise lately (you could argue Kostitsyn never 'tailed on' though), he'd be able to either play top-6 or top-9. As Florida is out of the playoff picture, a prospect or pick would probably suffice for him.

And for those wondering, yes, I will be posting the annual trade deadline primers beginning in a couple weeks time.

As I've noticed the rumour thread is becoming more of a discussion on hypotheticals that could be available, it's worth starting a new thread to keep the rumour one for, well, rumours. :) Basically, who do you think will be available? Who would you want the Habs to target? Do they try and fill both the D and scoring F holes or try and plug one; if one, which?

I'll get things started by throwing Cory Stillman's name out there - an expiring deal, a $3.5 M cap hit and has over 80 games of playoff experience. With wingers like Kostitsyn and Darche tailing off scoring wise lately (you could argue Kostitsyn never 'tailed on' though), he'd be able to either play top-6 or top-9. As Florida is out of the playoff picture, a prospect or pick would probably suffice for him.

And for those wondering, yes, I will be posting the annual trade deadline primers beginning in a couple weeks time.

Stillman very do-able... most likely Florida will shed that payroll but they are still in the hunt for a playoff spot IMO not too far off. Still 6 points behind 8th with a game in hand.

Im curious about NJ and what they have... I dont think they consider us too much of a threat to deal with us conference rivals... Tomorrow (today) we will be able to look at them in detail. Make your bets boys!

I was doing some research this morning, found some interesting trends over the past decade of Habs trades happening in the month before the deadline. I'll have them posted as part of the HW Recap later today. Without giving everything away, I've adjusted what I think the Habs may do, especially when they'll do it.

I was hoping to see a few more names thrown out by now though, especially now that we know how much the Habs have to spend with their LTIR reserves. (I probably should list that on the main page somewhere too, in the meantime, check the last couple posts in the CBA thread.)

I was doing some research this morning, found some interesting trends over the past decade of Habs trades happening in the month before the deadline. I'll have them posted as part of the HW Recap later today. Without giving everything away, I've adjusted what I think the Habs may do, especially when they'll do it.

I was hoping to see a few more names thrown out by now though, especially now that we know how much the Habs have to spend with their LTIR reserves. (I probably should list that on the main page somewhere too, in the meantime, check the last couple posts in the CBA thread.)

If I remember correctly, the Habs like to do their deadline shopping a couple of weeks early, the most recent examples being Moore and Schneider.

If I remember correctly, the Habs like to do their deadline shopping a couple of weeks early, the most recent examples being Moore and Schneider.

Yep, that was the gist of what I saw as well - only 7 deadline deals since 2000-01, most of which were very minor...last year's Palushaj deal made the top-3 in deadline deals of significance. The full results from my little study are up now by the way.

Yep, that was the gist of what I saw as well - only 7 deadline deals since 2000-01, most of which were very minor...last year's Palushaj deal made the top-3 in deadline deals of significance. The full results from my little study are up now by the way.

Although they are willing to make exceptions to the rule if they see a good opportunity. They pushed hard for Hossa 3 years ago.

Although they are willing to make exceptions to the rule if they see a good opportunity. They pushed hard for Hossa 3 years ago.

Yep, they had him if not for Pittsburgh sweetening their offer last minute...hindsight being 20/20, the package Atlanta got for him turned out to be pretty weak - Esposito looks like a bust, Armstrong walked via free agency, and Christensen via waivers. There was a pick involved as well but the Habs' offer (I forget the exact details) easily could have beaten that.

Yep, they had him if not for Pittsburgh sweetening their offer last minute...hindsight being 20/20, the package Atlanta got for him turned out to be pretty weak - Esposito looks like a bust, Armstrong walked via free agency, and Christensen via waivers. There was a pick involved as well but the Habs' offer (I forget the exact details) easily could have beaten that.

I think the rumour was that it involved Streit, Lapierre and a 1st... there was probably someone else in there too but I can't remember. Might have been Higgins.

I think the rumour was that it involved Streit, Lapierre and a 1st... there was probably someone else in there too but I can't remember. Might have been Higgins.

Higgins was in there (I remember that much), don't remember seeing Streit's name though.

Although AK 46 has the makings of a power forward he always goofs up the play and fans on his shot. I'm fed up watching him and therefore I would ship his but to nashville where he can play with his crazy brother. As for Gomez I have to wonder how many line changes have we tried with him? I always thought that Edmonton would may be a taker for Gomez. I would like to see Simmonds in a habs jersey and also bring in Eric Brewer from the Blues. And finally lest I forget please bring in Neil to protect our smaller players and give us a chance against bully teams like the Flyers and Boston of late.

Although AK 46 has the makings of a power forward he always goofs up the play and fans on his shot. I'm fed up watching him and therefore I would ship his but to nashville where he can play with his crazy brother. As for Gomez I have to wonder how many line changes have we tried with him? I always thought that Edmonton would may be a taker for Gomez. I would like to see Simmonds in a habs jersey and also bring in Eric Brewer from the Blues. And finally lest I forget please bring in Neil to protect our smaller players and give us a chance against bully teams like the Flyers and Boston of late.

AK46 was flying with Plekanec early in the season. Then, JM had to start Gionta's engine... The rest is history.

AK46 was flying with Plekanec early in the season. Then, JM had to start Gionta's engine... The rest is history.

Ahh nostalgia for our potential lines if they were back to their optimal play during anytime of this season

AK-Plekanec-Cammalleri (Like early this season)

Pacioretty-Desharnais-Darche (as of late)

Pouliot-Gomez-Gionta (As last season when Pouliot first arrived and clicked with G and G)

Moen-Eller-Halpern (If Eller ever showed the prowess of a good centre)

Markov-Wiz

Gorges-Hammer

Gill-PK

Price

Sighhh

Ahh nostalgia for our potential lines if they were back to their optimal play during anytime of this season

AK-Plekanec-Cammalleri (Like early this season)

Pacioretty-Desharnais-Darche (as of late)

Pouliot-Gomez-Gionta (As last season when Pouliot first arrived and clicked with G and G)

Moen-Eller-Halpern (If Eller ever showed the prowess of a good centre)

Markov-Wiz

Gorges-Hammer

Gill-PK

Price

Sighhh

No question, this team is a shadow of what it could have been. Markov and Gorges are huge losses, as is Cammy. That's two of our top-3 players out of the roster; hard to excel under those circumstances.

If Markov/Gorges are healthy, the Habs don't get Wisniewski. That would be an intriguing set of d-men though.

Yes next year.... But presently with the present roster that would be our best line ups

Probably no cap space if they wouldn't be on LTIR.

I believe in building from the blueline out. So I say, find the room!! :lol: It's true, though, that if Wiz is bound and determined to cash in as a UFA, we will likely be unable to afford him. We'll just have to hope that Markov takes a discount and that Wiz likes it enough here to be reasonable.

Probably no cap space if they wouldn't be on LTIR.

That would be correct. The Wisniewski acquisition put the Habs into LTIR, though it took them a while to get the credits for it due to the accrued space they had beforehand. Interestingly enough, Mara was on my original list of blueliners to post in that article but he didn't make the final cut.

I would not be surprised if Mara wrapped up our trading for the deadline.

They've got a decent amount of cap space left (capsheet is updated for those interested) which should go back up when Nash is sent down. They'll have enough space to make another move. Lots of time left, this is just a temp filler deal to plug a hole. They've got 1 semi-impact move left in them I think.

They've got a decent amount of cap space left (capsheet is updated for those interested) which should go back up when Nash is sent down. They'll have enough space to make another move. Lots of time left, this is just a temp filler deal to plug a hole. They've got 1 semi-impact move left in them I think.

Yeh, I anticipate a Dominique Moore-type pickup before PG's work is done.