GDT: Habs @ Bruins - February 9th, 2011

bar

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Any thoughts on possible suspensions and fines? Isn't there a rule stating no fighting in the last 5 or 10 minutes of the game? Considering there was basically a line brawl with 2 minutes left the league will have plenty of instances to fine the teams and coaches.

I may be in the minority here but I've hated fighting in hockey for a long time now and a game like this just reinforces that feeling. It baffles the mind that this is considered good in some way. No other sport would allow a farcical display like we saw last night (except maybe the UFC) and the league should be embarrassed. I used to like fighting in hockey when I was a kid but then I grew up and gained some common-sense. Apparently the NHL hasn't/

PoosyKarnel, what a joke this coward is. He's getting his teamates beaten like a drum. Job well down PoosyKarnel

What are you on? Blaming PK for the shit that went down last night? PK was ready to go in the corner, when Horton came flying in blindside and then big daddy Gill stepped in. Are you seriously blaming PK? This is the worst post of the year.

This is going to seem like whining, but the habs are a team built to the letter of the rules in the NHL, they are physical at times, but don't cross the line. The bruins, hit late, hit high, see the lumber swinging Chara did..no call. IF the refs knew their jobs, most fights would have had a bruin with the extra 2 in the box for instigating, but I'm seeing a swing in the way the NHL is enforcing their rules, maybe this means the habs have to shift their style somewhat. I don't mean go out and sign 3 goons, but maybe speed is not the way to win with the rules as they are.

That was an opld school beat down. i'm not like the rest of you, it wasn't that entertaining to watch. It would have been better if the habs had won more than 1 fight, I didn't count the Price one. Every time the habs got soem momentum the Bruins just threw out the top line and scored immediately.

The Gomez line was a complete no show. Too bad there aren't 3 spares to bench them tonight also. I think the AK46 experiment is over, get rid of him. Gomez is less likely to be moved due to his contract.

They have a top line and 9 other players.

The D zone was god awful, do you think they could cover the open guy in front of Price?

What are you on? Blaming PK for the shit that went down last night? PK was ready to go in the corner, when Horton came flying in blindside and then big daddy Gill stepped in. Are you seriously blaming PK? This is the worst post of the year.

and through it all paper tiger ended up in front of the net with that clown mcquaid who was begging him to go and just the head ref who was not going to intervene, typical pkoward, he declined. i do not advocate him taking on the heavies but he has got to lay waste to everyone else and earn himself and teammates some space and respect when he's on the ice and right now he has 0, his opponents know it, they run him, they run his teammates and it was never more evident than when he was hit from behind by the pos marchand earlier in the game, had he or anyone other than Ryder been afraid of the repercussions for such a coward, cheap hit, it would never have happened.

Hmmmm... what could I possibly talk about in Around the Boards this week. I do not know...

A few thoughts about the game (that are not meant as a particular response to any one post, especially since I have not sifted through everything yet)

1. Subban, Weber, Desharnais and Pacioretty, who are all pretty much rookies save for Patches, accounted for 5 goals and 9 points. Meanwhile, supposed offensive leaders like Pouliot, Gomez and Kostitsyn were held pointless and, frankly, produced little in the way of opportunities. It is highly disturbing when top attackers fail to contribute in such an important game, regardless of the score. Your best players have to be your best players and that was not the case last night for Montreal.

2. With a recent pounding versus Philly and the slugfest last night, it is becoming abundantly clear that Montreal needs to add a physical element to their game. On top of that, Subban can't be getting into near-fights all the time. Washington doesn't let Ovechkin drop them, we should we let Subban do the same? I don't want Laraque to come out of retirement, but a few more physical forwards could not hurt. Travis Moen is just not enough.

3. Being signed up with NHL Gamecenter, I am fortunate enough to get to see a fair bit of broadcasts from throughout the league. As such, I can safely say that NESN (the Bruins local broadcaster) have what is probably the biggest home bias in the league. It borders on ridiculous, really. Plus, they have Mike Mildbury at the intermission.

This is going to seem like whining, but the habs are a team built to the letter of the rules in the NHL, they are physical at times, but don't cross the line. The bruins, hit late, hit high, see the lumber swinging Chara did..no call. IF the refs knew their jobs, most fights would have had a bruin with the extra 2 in the box for instigating, but I'm seeing a swing in the way the NHL is enforcing their rules, maybe this means the habs have to shift their style somewhat. I don't mean go out and sign 3 goons, but maybe speed is not the way to win with the rules as they are.

This is a great post and I agree with what you are saying. If the rules were enforced teams like Boston and Philly would have to rebuild. I have no confidence that will happen anytime soon. We need to change a little bit. I don't want a limited shift goon on our team but a guy like Lucic would be amazing. Look how fast Gomez and Kostitsyn packed their bags and floated around once they started getting pounded. Our defense bent and broke from the assault.

Does someone else gave up completely on the Great Dane(Eller) ??

I never had high expectation on him but he achieve to deceive my low expectations, Bulis type.

I think he should be offered as trade bait.

I think he needs more time perhaps even AHL next year. He has been shifted around, benched and used only on the wing. I would like to see what he can do at centre with a couple of hard working wingers. Pairing him with Gomez and Kostitsyn is a death sentence.

I never had high expectation on him but he achieve to deceive my low expectations, Bulis type.

Leave the guy alone. He has had limited ice time. It takes most players 2-3 years before they can learn how to contribute on a shift to shift bases. You got to develop them. Your expectations are too high.

One thing maybe to add: I believe it was Weber's 1st NHL goal. And what a shot! Special mention to Darche for that brillant effort to make the pass.

You may have read that in my 3 Stars from last night. :) Technically, it was his 1st NHL goal but he did score in the playoffs against Boston back in the sweep of 2009. Kinda like Subban, actually, his 1st NHL goal came after he had scored in the playoffs.

Any thoughts on possible suspensions and fines? Isn't there a rule stating no fighting in the last 5 or 10 minutes of the game? Considering there was basically a line brawl with 2 minutes left the league will have plenty of instances to fine the teams and coaches.

The automatic fines and suspensions are for instigator infractions in the final 5 minutes of the 3rd. No instigators were called either way, I wouldn't expect any supplemental discipline for either side. I think Boston's deserving but given the letter of the rule, I don't think it qualifies.

Eller needs to be in the AHL, we all know that. However, considering he was the key piece for Halak, he's getting every chance and then some to play up with the Habs. Quite honestly, I didn't think he was that bad last night, particularly compared to his linemates. I don't think it's time to give up on him yet, he has shown signs that he can be a productive player - he just needs to refine some things. A stint a la Pacioretty in Hamilton to give him more minutes, a bigger role, and more confidence is probably best for him at this time. The thing is though, who comes up to replace him? (And please don't say White, if you read the articles on the site, you've clearly noticed both Lammy and I harping about his constant struggles this year.)

there has to be at least a game for thornton, he rag dolled the ref just to get shots in on hammer who clearly did not want to fight, same goes for spacek, that was bush league by boychuk but if you can do it why not, boston got the two points and beat the crap out of the Habs, next game will be interesting, like most rematches, expect little retribution but it will be interesting to see if the bruins will get themselves a little extra space, a few liberties after the whistle, quicker passes and turnovers from mtl and a few extra runs at the smaller skilled players???

Edited by nyckdkool

TSN's Darren Dreger weighs in with today's Dreger Report. An excerpt (there's quite a bit about the Habs here, actually):

A second period goalie dance with Carey Price leading Tim Thomas in an "Excuse Me" waltz left many asking why did Price let up when he had Thomas in such vulnerable position. Fear of injury? Friendship?Price answered the call as Thomas strolled into the battle zone, engaged, removed his mask and then overpowered Boston's MVP.

However - as front row witnesses can attest - rather than humble Thomas completely on home ice, Price let him up with not so much as a bruised ego.

In the eyes of Bruins fans, the veteran goalie is a hero for joining the fracas and calling Carey Price on.

Had Price soundly defeated Thomas, some wonder if the significance of the win could have impacted future matchups between the two teams and the play of these two star goaltenders.

I think this is what we call trying to read too much into something. Both goalies knew this was more for show to try and give their team some momentum, I hardly believe the result of this fight could have "impacted future matchups and the play of these two star goaltenders."

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/dregerreport/

The NHL is gradually regressing back to the point where it was before the lockout, on two fronts: clutch and grab is slowly creeping back in; and outright thuggery is roaring back. The idiots in charge of this league WANT to see Sidney Crosby's career destroyed by pointless headshots away from the puck (just like they WANTED to see Scott Stevens lay waste to all comers with what should have been classified as illegal elbows to the head). They WANT a league of Matt Cookes where the Crosbies and Savards are left to rebuild shattered frontal lobes and Ovechkin constantly has to watch his knees. They want this, in the name of some asinine code of "manliness" where if you cannot withstand a hammer-blow to the skull, you are some kind of pansy.

Mark my words. The golden age of fast, exciting, super-talented hockey we've been enjoying for the past few seasons is drawing to a close.

Having said all of this, I don't think last night's game was the big deal that people are making it out to be. 8-6 is a freak event. The Habs are NOT intimidated by goonery; this group never has been. Philly has their number, not because Philly goons it up, but because Philly's D is just too strong. As for Boston, we've beaten them pretty consistently this year. Last night was a bizarre outlier caused by the Habs completely abandoning the system. Beyond that, this game has ZERO playoff relevance for the simple reason that you hardly ever see fighting in the playoffs anymore. So let the Prunes goon it up. Far more salient to the playoffs is hooking, holding, and stickwork, which even in the immediate aftermath of the lockout were permitted to dominate in the playoffs and continue to do so. I think that, between our aged D and Plekanec's notorious carving-knife of a hockey stick, we can compete effectively in THAT sort of game.

Could we use one or two big, strong power forwards? Absolutely, but we need them because we need people who can crash through hermetic defences, much more than to open a can of whupass on them.

that's BS, thronton should get at least a game for the physical abuse of the official, you cannot beat up the ref on your way to beating up a player.

The referee has to file notice with the league that this took place and no such penalty was called. As a result, there can't be a suspension for abuse of an official.

The NHL is gradually regressing back to the point where it was before the lockout, on two fronts: clutch and grab is slowly creeping back in; and outright thuggery is roaring back. The idiots in charge of this league WANT to see Sidney Crosby's career destroyed by pointless headshots away from the puck (just like they WANTED to see Scott Stevens lay waste to all comers with what should have been classified as illegal elbows to the head). They WANT a league of Matt Cookes where the Crosbies and Savards are left to rebuild shattered frontal lobes and Ovechkin constantly has to watch his knees. They want this, in the name of some asinine code of "manliness" where if you cannot withstand a hammer-blow to the skull, you are some kind of pansy.

Mark my words. The golden age of fast, exciting, super-talented hockey we've been enjoying for the past few seasons is drawing to a close.

Having said all of this, I don't think last night's game was the big deal that people are making it out to be. 8-6 is a freak event. The Habs are NOT intimidated by goonery; this group never has been. Philly has their number, not because Philly goons it up, but because Philly's D is just too strong. As for Boston, we've beaten them pretty consistently this year. Last night was a bizarre outlier caused by the Habs completely abandoning the system. Beyond that, this game has ZERO playoff relevance for the simple reason that you hardly ever see fighting in the playoffs anymore. So let the Prunes goon it up. Far more salient to the playoffs is hooking, holding, and stickwork, which even in the immediate aftermath of the lockout were permitted to dominate in the playoffs and continue to do so. I think that, between our aged D and Plekanec's notorious carving-knife of a hockey stick, we can compete effectively in THAT sort of game.

Could we use one or two big, strong power forwards? Absolutely, but we need them because we need people who can crash through hermetic defences, much more than to open a can of whupass on them.

Now I found your post CC... Agreeed entirely with your first column.. its what lead me to write about our Utopian view of what Hockey should be... but is NOT ending up to be

Philly last year had our number but also had their way with us .. no there wasnt a fight... we didnt have anyone to fight with! I'm pretty sure there were fights in the other playoffs not in our playoffs. we don't need nor want PK and Price having to talk or defend themselves... nor Gionta or Cammalleri nor Pleks... G.Laraque gave us that threshold like it or not... which opposing teams didnt pass... Yesterday that threshold was in-existent. That my friend should worry us

Now I found your post CC... Agreeed entirely with your first column.. its what lead me to write about our Utopian view of what Hockey should be... but is NOT ending up to be

Philly last year had our number but also had their way with us .. no there wasnt a fight... we didnt have anyone to fight with! I'm pretty sure there were fights in the other playoffs not in our playoffs. we don't need nor want PK and Price having to talk or defend themselves... nor Gionta or Cammalleri nor Pleks... G.Laraque gave us that threshold like it or not... which opposing teams didnt pass... Yesterday that threshold was in-existent. That my friend should worry us

Well, maybe you're right - less in the sense that we need a goon to win the fights or prevent us from being intimidated, but in the sense that we need a guy who will DESTROY anyone who tries to injure PK, Price or any of the other bread-and-butter assets on the franchise. You've got me there. It's not the fights per se, it's the cheap shots. The NHL has decided that it supports criminal assaults on skilled players, so teams have no choice but to defend themselves.

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

Well, maybe you're right - less in the sense that we need a goon to win the fights or prevent us from being intimidated, but in the sense that we need a guy who will DESTROY anyone who tries to injure PK, Price or any of the other bread-and-butter assets on the franchise. You've got me there. It's not the fights per se, it's the cheap shots. The NHL has decided that it supports criminal assaults on skilled players, so teams have no choice but to defend themselves.

They do not need someone to destroy anyone who get's within 5 feet of Precious Karnell, they need Precious Karnell to destroy the Mcquaid's, Boychuck's, Ferance's, Horton's, Campbells' of the NHL. Take the diaper of little Precious Karnell, the guy is 6+ 210 lbs, he is NOT Petr Fookig Svoboda. Time to take the bubble wrap off Precious.