Habs acquire Sopel and Dawes

dlbalr

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sopel will really help this team short term, I think. I've always liked him, and with Spacek out, he will be most welcome. I don't really get the Dawes trade. He looked good in Calgary, and was great in juniors, but I don't see him as any better than Boyd. Depth is always good I guess. Dawes is short, but I never saw him as a little guy. He must be prety strong, because there is some weight on that little frame. I must admit that if this is the end of the trades, I will be a little disapointed. Having said that, the trade you don't make is sometimes the best one. AK and Eller looked really good together. If they find chemistry and can play against 3rd pairing defense and 4th line forwards, this team could be dangerous.

Edited by BCHabnut

I suspect that this will be the end of PG's moves. 2.33 million cap hit doesn't leave enough room to take a signifigant player without trading a high paid roster player.

U said it its the end of trades NOT envolving a roster player... But not the end of trades with one

I suspect that this will be the end of PG's moves. 2.33 million cap hit doesn't leave enough room to take a signifigant player without trading a high paid roster player.

~$1.8 M remaining; if Spacek is out long-term, his cap hit could be added to that. Capsheet updated, link on main page.

~$1.8 M remaining; if Spacek is out long-term, his cap hit could be added to that. Capsheet updated, link on main page.

Why would you give up fourth for Sopel,when you could have picked any number of defenseman off the waiver wire, unless you have another move to recapture that pick?

Why would you give up fourth for Sopel,when you could have picked any number of defenseman off the waiver wire, unless you have another move to recapture that pick?

This probably means that Spacek is out for the season or close to it. We needed a stay at home defenseman who can block shots and now we have one.

This quote would be my guess. Sopel has had playoff success and fits the shutdown role, allowing Subban to play with someone not named Gill. I'd also suspect it's Maxwell for Sopel, 4th for Dawes. New blueline, sans Spacek, stands at Hamrlik - Wisniewski, Gill - Sopel, Mara - Subban, Picard - Weber. 8 active D, could see Picard swapped for a mid-pick later on.

Yea, i think that means the end of Weber's year unless injuries happen. Other than that ot was a minor league move. Maxwell was never going to play for the habs.

Sopel is a good pick up, size grit, defensive Dman. Should help against bigger teams.

I don't want to give up on Weber just yet, he's been pretty solid. Though if he's sent to Hamilton, I wouldn't complain simply for the sake of the Bulldogs.

I've got the write-up of the trade plus profiles up on HW now.

Also, with lots of us online, may be worth popping over to the chatroom...

I am once again confused about our remaining cap space. I thought we had 4 mill plus the other day how much is Sopels remaining cap hit? his yearly cap hit is only 2.3m and we have played roughly 75% of the games so we should only have to take on 600k (very roughly) in cap space. enlighten me please.

I don't want to give up on Weber just yet, he's been pretty solid. Though if he's sent to Hamilton, I wouldn't complain simply for the sake of the Bulldogs.

I've got the write-up of the trade plus profiles up on HW now.

Also, with lots of us online, may be worth popping over to the chatroom...

Honestly, I hope that Weber is higher on the food chain than Mara. But since Weber is a RH shot, you've got to figure that he's the odd-man out (or even trade bait?)

I know the handedness doesn't work, but this is what I'd plug into NHL11.

Hamrlik - Wisniewski

Gill - Subban

Weber - Sopel

Mara - Picard

I am once again confused about our remaining cap space. I thought we had 4 mill plus the other day how much is Sopels remaining cap hit? his yearly cap hit is only 2.3m and we have played roughly 75% of the games so we should only have to take on 600k (very roughly) in cap space. enlighten me please.

For simplicity, I'm citing full year figures, easier to do so when a team is in LTIR. They had 4.1 mil roughly, Sopel makes 2.3 and change. Subtract the two to get 1.8. Beats doing what you did and breaking down a players' remaining salary.

This quote would be my guess. Sopel has had playoff success and fits the shutdown role, allowing Subban to play with someone not named Gill. I'd also suspect it's Maxwell for Sopel, 4th for Dawes. New blueline, sans Spacek, stands at Hamrlik - Wisniewski, Gill - Sopel, Mara - Subban, Picard - Weber. 8 active D, could see Picard swapped for a mid-pick later on.

I suspect Gill is at best 60%... Martin and co shoudl give him time off to rep for the playoffs, I'm not sure about Sopel.. will look into his Average time on ice during his stay as a Thrasher.

what was the powerplay right shot D's combo we had before with Subban? was it Wiz? we have 4 right D's .. if Picard sits instead of Weber, then why not pair Sub with Wiz and have them build some chemistry so when its time for the PP its more natural.. it has been done in the past:

Hammer-Sopel

Wiz-Subban

Mara-Weber

Because they are RD's.

They play together on the PP because of there shots.

I

t will be

Wis Hamrlik

Subban Gill

Sopel Mara

I expect there being some sort of other move. Adding some beef and grittiness to the front end. I also expect AK46 going somewhere else.

I think Weber os ok and all but he gets beat down low and in his own end alot, You need toughness and size come playoff time. That's why the deal was made.

For simplicity, I'm citing full year figures, easier to do so when a team is in LTIR. They had 4.1 mil roughly, Sopel makes 2.3 and change. Subtract the two to get 1.8. Beats doing what you did and breaking down a players' remaining salary.

First I want to say how impressive your work is. You already have updated the contract page and cap hits.

Second, I note that now we will have 6 UFA and 3 RFA defencemen this summer. Wow.

First I want to say how impressive your work is. You already have updated the contract page and cap hits.

Thanks, it's been a long couple of hours to say the least. In no particular order, this is what has been posted/updated:

- Trade write-up

- Player profiles

- Capsheet update, including the main page figures

- Cap page

- Waiver page

- Contract limit update (2nd post in the CBA thread)

- Organizational depth chart

- Side menus in the players/prospects section

- Plus other things I literally can't remember right now, ouch.

I will say this much, as much as I enjoy trades, my head will appreciate when March 1st hits. :)