Habs acquire Sopel and Dawes

dlbalr

I think you have 1 more habs deal still in you.

My prediction

Neil to the habs 3rd rounder and fringe player

The habs trade Ak46 for a pick or prospect.

That's two trades...by the way, Neil is hurt now so his chances of getting dealt may have dropped some.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First I want to say how impressive your work is. You already have updated the contract page and cap hits.

Second, I note that now we will have 6 UFA and 3 RFA defencemen this summer. Wow.

Actually, that's 7 UFA defencemen:

Markov

Wisniewski

Gill

Hamrlik

Sopel

Mara

Picard

And 2 RFA's:

Gorges

Weber

Sopel seems like a useful pick-up - a shot-blocker par excellence, with a Cup ring and lots of experience, is exactly complementary to the nature of our team. He builds on our already-impressive ability to shut down the middle and protect the goalie. While he's obviously nothing great, he seems so peculiarly well-suited to our team identity that this has to be rated a canny move by PG. (This, incidentally, is likely among the reasons they wanted no part of Kovalev: he is the exact antithesis of our team identity).

I remember when Sopel was regarded as a high-risk offensive defenceman a la John Michael Liles. Funny how careers go :blink:

The UFA factor is a bit mind-bending, though. While not as extreme, it's vaguely reminiscent of 2009, when half the team was pending UFAs. In any case, assuming that players who try Montreal first tend to be more receptive to staying here, this adds to our options come summer.

Macguire said Kosty is in play. He's no Ezekiel but I assume he's professional enough not to make stuff up; so a further move wouldn't shock me.

Because they are RD's.

They play together on the PP because of there shots.

I

t will be

Wis Hamrlik

Subban Gill

Sopel Mara

I expect there being some sort of other move. Adding some beef and grittiness to the front end. I also expect AK46 going somewhere else.

I think Weber os ok and all but he gets beat down low and in his own end alot, You need toughness and size come playoff time. That's why the deal was made.

But I repeat if Gill misses another game you will preffer Picard over Weber? then your forced to put 2 Right D's together

Let's be honest, Picard hasn't been that bad. In fact he has played well at times.

Agreed! He has a decent shot from the point, and he has played pretty well so far(especially considering he can go a long stretch without playing.)

I like the acquisition of Sopel. He's a big boy and he's got experience.

Now all we need is more size up front!

Edited by Habsfan

I don't know why everyone is clamoring for Neil when our biggest need is still in the goal-scoring department. We need a pure sniper to play with Pleks.

In any case, this was good move. Maxwell has fallen behind Desharnais on the depth chart, so it didn't look like he had a career with the Habs. Sopel should help stabilize our D and Dawes can be called up as an adequate bottom six player with some goal scoring ability.

Edited by ForumGhost

I don't know why everyone is clamoring for Neil when our biggest need is still in the goal-scoring department. We need a pure sniper to play with Pleks.

In any case, this was good move. Maxwell has fallen behind Desharnais on the depth chart, so it didn't look like he had a career with the Habs. Sopel should help stabilize our D and Dawes can be called up as an adequate bottom six player with some goal scoring ability.

Because the last Bruins game, we had no problem scoring.....

It is about getting ready for the playoffs and our matchups with Boston and Philly, not putting pucks in the net between now and then...

Because the last Bruins game, we had no problem scoring.....

It is about getting ready for the playoffs and our matchups with Boston and Philly, not putting pucks in the net between now and then...

That was 1 of 61 games, it hasn't been a problem at any other point so far. I would rather raise our GF, which is one of the lowest in the league, rather than win the occasional fight.

That was 1 of 61 games, it hasn't been a problem at any other point so far. I would rather raise our GF, which is one of the lowest in the league, rather than win the occasional fight.

Oh don't get me wrong. I would love to add a 40 goal scorer up front. I just don't see it happening. Over the season that could make a huge difference in our playoff position and home ice advantage. Thing is, we are going to make it to the dance and without a big move we aren't getting home ice advantage. That one game was a disaster, but there have been others simular this season. Games that we were obviously intimidated. Philly? Boston? We have to match them this year as much as the Pens and Caps. Oh yeah and TBay. Nothing wrong with a quick solution to intimidation as in a third line player, that grinds out goals and is respected and feared. He ain't BGL.

Great fit with Moen. Would you like to line up for a faceoff in a chippy game with those 2 out there? Add Halpern for the dazzle and you have a scarry crash and burn line.

That is my thoughts.

Cool. Now the D looks alright for the playoffs, with 2 decent back ups in Weber and Picard.

Montreal's D at the start of the year: Markov, Hamrlik, Spacek, Gorges, Gill, Subban

Montreal's D now: Hamrlik, Gill, Subban, Wisniewski, Mara, Sopel

For Maxwell and a 4th. Working on the HW write up now.

I like Sopel, don't understand the point of Dawes and really don't get what the point was to bring back Mara.

Would have preferred Brewer though.

Cool. Now the D looks alright for the playoffs, with 2 decent back ups in Weber and Picard.

Montreal's D at the start of the year: Markov, Hamrlik, Spacek, Gorges, Gill, Subban

Montreal's D now: Hamrlik, Gill, Subban, Wisniewski, Mara, Sopel

I'd take Weber over Mara any day. At least he IS improving. Mara IMO is useless.

I'd take Weber over Mara any day. At least he IS improving. Mara IMO is useless.

Mara brings something this team desperately needs. Size and Grit. Something that Weber doesn't bring!

Mara's use is that he's better than any emergency call up from Hamilton. We can't rule out that there are further injuries to the D. That's when it'll help to have 8 NHL d-men. Also leadership, I guess.

I like Sopel, don't understand the point of Dawes and really don't get what the point was to bring back Mara.

Hamilton still needs enough bodies to ice a team and if they want to let the prospects have a playoff run, they need about 2 more Dawes-type players before all is said and done. He's simply an AHL replacement for now, but I would also submit that he moves himself to the front of the line if there are injuries up front that warrant a callup.

Hamilton still needs enough bodies to ice a team and if they want to let the prospects have a playoff run, they need about 2 more Dawes-type players before all is said and done. He's simply an AHL replacement for now, but I would also submit that he moves himself to the front of the line if there are injuries up front that warrant a callup.

I am still miffed at why you would give up fourth for Sopel. The Canadiens have many times basically given players away so they have a legitate shots with other teams when it was deemed that they didn't fit in the Canadiens plans. I give the Canadiens full marks for that, Maxwell being the latest. I believe the four transaction rule comes after the trading deadline. It would have been an embarrassment if Maxwell got trapped in that for the second year in a row.

I am still miffed at why you would give up fourth for Sopel. The Canadiens have many times basically given players away so they have a legitate shots with other teams when it was deemed that they didn't fit in the Canadiens plans. I give the Canadiens full marks for that, Maxwell being the latest. I believe the four transaction rule comes after the trading deadline. It would have been an embarrassment if Maxwell got trapped in that for the second year in a row.

Why people get upset about 4th rounders is beyond me. After the 1st round you have just as great a chance of drafting a Subban or Halak in the 2nd or 7th round. If you need to move up, it is not difficult to package another pick to get a player who you feel will not be there.

The Habs have drafted guys like Johan Eneqvist, Martti Jarventie, Michael Lambert, Danny Stewart, Corey Locke, J.T. Wyman, Juraj Mikus, Jason Missiaen and Alexander Avtsin in the 4th round over the last decade..

Outside of Avtsin who is a project pick would you deal any of those guys for Sopel to help with a playoff drive?

The Canadiens have to suffer an epic collapse to miss the playoffs and Gauthier is attempting to not touch the future in order to secure that spot.

He hasn't touched the top prospects in the system because they will be needed to re-stock the team when Price, Subban, Paccioretty get their money and Gomez is pushed out the door.

A solid depth move with little to no cost IMO.

Edited by Wamsley01

I noted earlier, I don't see it as a 4th for Sopel - I see it as Maxwell for Sopel and the 4th for Dawes. Defencemen are going at a high premium this month, even the depth guys have to fetch some semblance of high-ish value. Maxwell will get a shot with Atlanta and evidently they really like him so that's their version of high-ish value. As for Dawes, having a forward with some NHL experience that isn't subject to re-entry waivers may come in handy if the Habs get struck with the injury bug (or make a 2-1 trade), that's worth a 4th rounder to me, especially when he's restricted next season (not a rental).

As for the 4-Recall rule, you're right, it does come in play after the deadline.

I noted earlier, I don't see it as a 4th for Sopel - I see it as Maxwell for Sopel and the 4th for Dawes. Defencemen are going at a high premium this month, even the depth guys have to fetch some semblance of high-ish value. Maxwell will get a shot with Atlanta and evidently they really like him so that's their version of high-ish value. As for Dawes, having a forward with some NHL experience that isn't subject to re-entry waivers may come in handy if the Habs get struck with the injury bug (or make a 2-1 trade), that's worth a 4th rounder to me, especially when he's restricted next season (not a rental).

As for the 4-Recall rule, you're right, it does come in play after the deadline.

Either way Maxwell is buried behind Eller, Desharnais, Leblanc etc.

Only in Montreal can we complain about the return for a pick that has rarely yielded NHL talent and a guy that nobody expected to impact the Canadiens.

Why people get upset about 4th rounders is beyond me. After the 1st round you have just as great a chance of drafting a Subban or Halak in the 2nd or 7th round. If you need to move up, it is not difficult to package another pick to get a player who you feel will not be there.

The Habs have drafted guys like Johan Eneqvist, Martti Jarventie, Michael Lambert, Danny Stewart, Corey Locke, J.T. Wyman, Juraj Mikus, Jason Missiaen and Alexander Avtsin in the 4th round over the last decade..

Outside of Avtsin who is a project pick would you deal any of those guys for Sopel to help with a playoff drive?

The Canadiens have to suffer an epic collapse to miss the playoffs and Gauthier is attempting to not touch the future in order to secure that spot.

He hasn't touched the top prospects in the system because they will be needed to re-stock the team when Price, Subban, Paccioretty get their money and Gomez is pushed out the door.

A solid depth move with little to no cost IMO.

What I find amazing is how many people bash clearly sensible moves just because there are no superstars involved. Mara for a 5th fills a need on the Habs for basically no cost and people actually get angry over it, as if it has hurt the organization. Sopel is clearly a player that this team can use and the Canadiens gave up no one that was likely to ever play for their NHL team and yet Gauthier is criticized.

People hear that there was a trade and their imaginations jump into overdrive with fantasies of Hemsky, Brown and Penner. When it's a smaller (more realistic) move, they bitch independently of what it was. (I notice this more on HFboards, which I read but don't post on. They're really terrible over there.)