GDT: Toronto vs Montreal, Feb. 24

bar

I really don't get why Subban is on the 2nd PP unit. He is by far our best offensive Dman and he is not even on when the habs need two goals to tie :angry:

Edited by hab29RETIRED

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice work by Gomez, he had to be wondering how many crosschecks he would have to take before they called a penalty. ... the big question, can we score?

Nope.

This is a one game sample where the Leafs got the breaks. Two shots off the inside of the bar, a gift from Auld and two bang bang plays in front of the net.

The Habs have had two shots trickle by the post and Andrei Scissorhands fail to tap in a gimme.

The frustration comes from the fact that it was against the Leafs.

Reimer's charmed life finally ends as a puck finds the net.

Edited by Wamsley01

well, they are making it a game at least... please don't pull price too early.. as soon as they do, the habs will give it away.

wow.. the get close, then stop skating, stop making crisp passes, no more chances.. sigh

well, they are making it a game at least... please don't pull price too early.. as soon as they do, the habs will give it away.

wow.. the get close, then stop skating, stop making crisp passes, no more chances.. sigh

That was PATHETIC!

Two minutes to tie it and hemmed up in their own zone by the Leafs.

Edited by Wamsley01

I'm no analyst, no X's and O's guy, but why the feck is Hammer on the first PP unit. I digress, that is the least of the worries, my armchair analysis as weak as it be, see's a trend thats become a problem. The refusal to forecheck, whenever the habs have success in a game it's directly linked to a forecheck, I mean they stand back AND still get odd man rushes against them, why not get something out of the fact, and forecheck.

Also, what was up with the demotion of the 3rd line last night, JM makes curious decisions I'll never understand.

Well that was pathetic. They made the leafs look like the harlem glode trotters out there.

Defense: F

forwards: d

PP: C good and bad

Pk: F

Effort:D

I won't mention the goaltending because if the players played better defensively the goaltending would be a non issue.

Hamrlik, gill and subban were particularly brutal last night.

They will need at1least 11 wins in my book to avoid the flyers in the first round. They better start pulling there heads out of there as#### soon or no playoffs. There are teams on fire below them.

I don't know what to say on JM, when they follow his system to a t they look great, when they forecheck alot they look good, and every other thing they do they look like my rec league team could shut them out. They still are 6th with all the injuries.

I won't be around for the trade deadline stuff or next weeks game so let's hope they can get soemthing done and they start winning some games.

ARGH!!!!!

Why start Auld in this game? All the panelists said it last night and I am saying it today...

This is a team (Toronto) that is trying to catch up to us in the standings, and we put in our backup? I know the boys didn't play well in front of him but you have to think the decision to sit Price plays a bit of a factor on the mental readiness of the team.

C'mon Coach... put your BEST team out there.

Please on the goaltending.

goal number 1 Pleks losing a faceoff cleanly, Subban flamingo's and screens Auld, goal

goal number 2 Hamrlik had the puck with no pressure, instead of blasting it off the glass, he just turns it over.

goal number 3 That was a complete breakdown from everyone

goal number 4 and 5 a player left all alone 5 feet in front of Price.

The second goal Auld should have had but the blame lies on the pathetic defense last night.

Please on the goaltending.

goal number 1 Pleks losing a faceoff cleanly, Subban flamingo's and screens Auld, goal

goal number 2 Hamrlik had the puck with no pressure, instead of blasting it off the glass, he just turns it over.

goal number 3 That was a complete breakdown from everyone

goal number 4 and 5 a player left all alone 5 feet in front of Price.

The second goal Auld should have had but the blame lies on the pathetic defense last night.

The only goal that was a result of poor goaltending was the 2nd one. As abysmal as it was, the other two goals on Auld went in off the bar. Perfect shots.

The two goals on Price were not his fault. Could they have won the game with Price in goal? That's debatable, but I cringe every time Auld moves. From his poor positioning to his lackluster butterfly pushes. For a guy that size he doesn't make himself very large in the net.

I was 100% wrong about that guy, I thought he would be serviceable but he has been awful this season.

As poor as they played they were one break away from OT. AK missing a tap in, Halpern sliding it wide etc etc.

It's 1 game. On to the next one. Remove the crest of the logo from the opposition and it doesn't hurt as much.

Edited by Wamsley01

It's actually only 2 wins in there last 8 or 9 games that's concerning. Not just 1 loss.

Did we not have this same conversation in December?

Good teams go through shit stretches, let alone average to above average teams. The Hawks went through a 2-5-2 stretch last March. The Penguins went on a 2-8 run in 2009. The 2008 Wings went on a 1-7-1 run. All of them won the Cup.

The Habs stunk in December, then played .700 in January. This team has a history of getting hot when everybody writes them off, so why stress about when it is going to happen.

Basing my observation on the last 5 years the Habs will likely go on a nice little run over the next 3 weeks and secure a playoff spot. When everybody starts to look ahead in the standings like they did a month ago they will slide and everybody will be back to stress about making the playoffs.

It's ######ing groundhog day in here. Since 2002 the Habs have done this 5 times and failed once and instead of everybody having the attitude that they will make it, everybody fears the one year they didn't.

They have been 5-5-2 in over their last 12 games. THAT will get them into the playoffs.

Yesterday was one of the worst officiated games I've seen in awhile. The only one worse that comes to mind was one one of the home games last year in the Playoffs against the pens, I think they had like 11 penalties or so and the fans started littering the ice. Luckily though we won 3-2. But still it's turning into a circus. Not to mention we have the second most minors in the whole league somehow.

It's not somehow. Thye hook and hold and take lazy penalties all the time. They jsut need to stop doing those things every night.

They don't draw any penalties because they fall to the ice everytime they are touched. refs think they dive. I see it alot during games. If they would fight through those they would get more calls. Or god forbid even drive the net every now and again.

It's not somehow. Thye hook and hold and take lazy penalties all the time. They jsut need to stop doing those things every night.

They don't draw any penalties because they fall to the ice everytime they are touched. refs think they dive. I see it alot during games. If they would fight through those they would get more calls. Or god forbid even drive the net every now and again.

I don't have a problem with what they call on Montreal it's more about the lack of consistency or double standard that bothers me the most. Probably 3/4 of our penalties our deserved if you read the rule book. But I constantly see the same thing that they call On us not called against the other team alot.

Did we not have this same conversation in December?

Good teams go through shit stretches, let alone average to above average teams. The Hawks went through a 2-5-2 stretch last March. The Penguins went on a 2-8 run in 2009. The 2008 Wings went on a 1-7-1 run. All of them won the Cup.

The Habs stunk in December, then played .700 in January. This team has a history of getting hot when everybody writes them off, so why stress about when it is going to happen.

Basing my observation on the last 5 years the Habs will likely go on a nice little run over the next 3 weeks and secure a playoff spot. When everybody starts to look ahead in the standings like they did a month ago they will slide and everybody will be back to stress about making the playoffs.

It's ######ing groundhog day in here. Since 2002 the Habs have done this 5 times and failed once and instead of everybody having the attitude that they will make it, everybody fears the one year they didn't.

They have been 5-5-2 in over their last 12 games. THAT will get them into the playoffs.

I don't disagree with your assessment Wammy, but can you think of why this happens? Different coaches, different players, the only constant is the jersey, why do the habs always go on a run to make the playoffs? Is it the fans? The media? Would this happen in a non-hockey rich market? I don't want to sound all puffed up about habs fans, just looking for a reason why this continues to happen? Do players really want to play in the playoffs in Montreal? Is this a greater motivation than it would be in say, Atlanta or Columbus?

Edited by bar

I don't disagree with your assessment Wammy, but can you think of why this happens? Different coaches, different players, the only constant is the jersey, why do the habs always go on a run to make the playoffs? Is it the fans? The media? Would this happen in a non-hockey rich market? I don't want to sound all puffed up about habs fans, just looking for a reason why this continues to happen? Do players really want to play in the playoffs in Montreal? Is this a greater motivation than it would be in say, Atlanta or Columbus?

I don't mean to butt in here but I think the answer to that is that we don't have the luxury of tanking a season to get high picks therefore were always gonna have good Players that need to play over their heads for us to be great and that's probably not gonna happen over 82 games

I think it's just that Montreal has been a slightly above average (to above average but oft injured) team for a few seasons now. It could be that the Montreal atmosphere gives the Habs a slight push that the other average teams don't have... but it's impossible to come to any concrete conclusions because the difference between 9th and 8th place over an 82 game schedule is so slight.