Official HW Deadline Day Thread

dlbalr

Rumor has it we are after Arnott... would be perfect!

Eklund says we are at least. I would love him in a Habs uniform. Lebrun saying 4-5 teams interested in him, I would assume were one of them.

Why would the habs do anything unless they could give something away to get a player with a contract? We are not a trade or two away from competing with Boston or Philly. We have lost three of our starting D, including the two leaders in Markov and Gorges.

If we we healthy, then I would say we were a scoring winger away from being for real, but that just isn't reality.

If someone wants Gomez, we make a deal. Otherwise... I see nothing worth doing. Build for next year.

Popping in for a minute while I check my e-mails, Pierre McGuire said something of note is coming...not necessarily Habs related but we could have news soon.

Shocker of the day for me was Atlanta dealing Nic Bergfors for Radek Dvorak. I know Bergfors has struggled but still, a former 1st rounder for a 3rd/4th liner? I recognize Rissmiller was a salary dump, but still, that seemed pricey to me. Florida got hosed for Wideman though, a 2nd year ECHL'er and a 3rd...that's cheap, though Wideman has a big ticket.

I"m bored (both with the deadline and work).

Here is a wild idea. Gomez (and perhaps a pick/prospect) to Nashville for Dumont and Legwand. The cap hits almost cancel out, but as Brian once pointed out, Gomez's real salary goes down significantly in the last two years of his deal. Anywho. If Pierre Gauthier reads our fabulous forum, he might send me thank you note for my wonderful idea.

I"m bored (both with the deadline and work).

Here is a wild idea. Gomez (and perhaps a pick/prospect) to Nashville for Dumont and Legwand. The cap hits almost cancel out, but as Brian once pointed out, Gomez's real salary goes down significantly in the last two years of his deal. Anywho. If Pierre Gauthier reads our fabulous forum, he might send me thank you note for my wonderful idea.

If we do anything with Gomez, the best time would be in the summer. Minimally disruptive, and you can exceed the cap if need be on a temporary basis.

So, thoughts on the chat room/Twitter updates? I thought it went relatively well when I was around but that wasn't for all that long. If you folks enjoyed this, it's something we might be able to try for the start of free agency in July.

It was not so bad. I didn't notice how many members were online though.

Gauthier said on rds.ca that he felt like the father who saves his money for a family trip and when summer comes, he has to spend to repair the roof instead.

So, thoughts on the chat room/Twitter updates? I thought it went relatively well when I was around but that wasn't for all that long. If you folks enjoyed this, it's something we might be able to try for the start of free agency in July.

REally liked it. The twitter function was pretty neat. It updated live and appeared instantly on the chat applet. So no need to refresh the page or click on anything (cf on twitter.com you need to keep clicking to see new posts).

And the ability to interact with other habs fans in realtime in the same window was very convenient.

So basically the chat window and TSN on tv was all I needed for a complete coverage of that pretty boring day. Well at least the fake trade gave us chills for 5 minutes. Was funny to see Francois Gagnon buy in the deal and after trying to defend himself.

I was not impressed by the coverage from our french journalists. It started this morning with a total confusion about where Gauthier was. It took them awhile to realize he was already in Atlanta. But they had time to speculate or create false news and so on. There are so many journalists in Montréal, but none able to get a good relationship with management and make things a little more interesting. With fans filling Bell Centre every night no matter what, management has the luxury to keep media/fans in the dark and under an artificial image of openness.

It was not so bad. I didn't notice how many members were online though.

Gauthier said on rds.ca that he felt like the father who saves his money for a family trip and when summer comes, he has to spend to repair the roof instead.

there were btw 15-30 people on all day. not bad for a first time. but nothing compared to the 80k (!!) on TSN's jay onrait.

ours was way better though, with live twitter updates and everyone with the ability to comment live (while on TSN's one, there were little chance your comments would go through)

Audio from Gauthier's press scrum:

http://gazblogs.com/habsinsideout-files/2011%20Feb%2028%20Practice%20Deadline/PG%20deadline.mp3

One note from this at the end is that it's Anaheim's 4th round pick that the team dealt in the Sopel deal, the one they got for Chipchura last year. That was the one interesting thing in the entire thing, having seen the house analogy earlier.

It is interesting to note that all of the Habs' in season trades have involved defencemen. In fact, in four (Wisniewski, Festerling v1, Mara, Sopel) a blueliner came our way. Gives one a pretty good idea of how battered the backend has been this season, doesn't it?

Wow lots of changes on the Board since I last visited. I see our Habs are doing the usual in sitting tight with the talent they have. Going to be a very interesting playoffs. I am so glad Habs did not trade any of the youth away as that was past habs mistakes. Just going to have to ride out that Gomez contract, yet I have a feeling he will be good in the playoffs again.

Living in the Vancouver area, I find this quite intriguing - two key pieces of the Gainey Rebuild 1.0 whose stars have long since fallen, now find themselves acquired on the same day, by one of the only teams in the NHL that can legitimately claim to be a bona-fide Cup contender. There's a lot of fan/media interest in Lapierre here, in particular, because of his strong playoff showing last season...a point that does make me rather grind my teeth. When we moved him for Feasterling, I figured we were getting a bottom-pairing D-man back for a bottom-line forward and shrugged. Now we've got a marginal netminder back for a guy who, when he was on, was one of the most effective third/fourth-line C and agitators around. I have a feeling we could see Laps emerge as a key part of a long Canucks playoff drive. Ick.

Higgins I expect less out of, but he'll never get a better chance to recover his career than right now, playing on a top-end club that asks him to be no more than a third-liner.

Anyway...slightly surprised that this odd event hasn't sparked more discussion around here.

Living in the Vancouver area, I find this quite intriguing - two key pieces of the Gainey Rebuild 1.0 whose stars have long since fallen, now find themselves acquired on the same day, by one of the only teams in the NHL that can legitimately claim to be a bona-fide Cup contender. There's a lot of fan/media interest in Lapierre here, in particular, because of his strong playoff showing last season...a point that does make me rather grind my teeth. When we moved him for Feasterling, I figured we were getting a bottom-pairing D-man back for a bottom-line forward and shrugged. Now we've got a marginal netminder back for a guy who, when he was on, was one of the most effective third/fourth-line C and agitators around. I have a feeling we could see Laps emerge as a key part of a long Canucks playoff drive. Ick.

Higgins I expect less out of, but he'll never get a better chance to recover his career than right now, playing on a top-end club that asks him to be no more than a third-liner.

Anyway...slightly surprised that this odd event hasn't sparked more discussion around here.

Well, i wish the best of luck to Higgins, but don't give a rat's ass about Lapierrre.