Official positivity thread

SOOPAVILLIN

If only that powerhouse Sabres could of beat Tampa, all would be right with the world. But chalk up another win for Carey and crew and solidify playoff spot (no clinch yet, but just as good as, 99.9996%). :clap:

Let's give some credit where credit is due:

Michel Therrien has done an excellent job with this team. Now I know he doesn't have a lot of fans, but for the second year straight, the team is poised for a top-3 finish in the conference standings. For all of the criticism of his handling of young players, PK Subban won the Norris, Gallagher was nominated for the Calder, and Galchenyuk is being put in a position to succeed and grow. He's still twenty years old, and he was brought up after missing a year of junior.

Therrien released the defensive shackles of Jacques Martin, and then scaled back his run and gun approach, greatly improving team defense and the penalty kill. Realizing this style didn't work prevented us from a collapse in the same vein of the Toronto Maple Leafs, and one that will happen next year to the Avalanche.

Changes in the system happen slowly, but they happen, imo, without haste. The power play and the offense is focusing on play behind the net, freeing up Markov and Subban.

The best change is happening with the players themselves. Unlike the culture of the entitled vet under JM, guys are earning their spots, and no one is immune from benchings. He seems to have overcome his own paradigms, as press conference criticisms and Francis Bouillon are kept to a minimum.

There's still a place in the game for old school coaches who trade primarily in motivation. If you feel Michel isn't "en vogue" enough, perhaps you should have a nice long cry for the careers of Guy Boucher and Dallas Eakins?

Michel Therrien has done an excellent job with this team. Now I know he doesn't have a lot of fans, but for the second year straight, the team is poised for a top-3 finish in the conference standings. For all of the criticism of his handling of young players, PK Subban won the Norris, Gallagher was nominated for the Calder, and Galchenyuk is being put in a position to succeed and grow. He's still twenty years old, and he was brought up after missing a year of junior.

Therrien released the defensive shackles of Jacques Martin, and then scaled back his run and gun approach, greatly improving team defense and the penalty kill. Realizing this style didn't work prevented us from a collapse in the same vein of the Toronto Maple Leafs, and one that will happen next year to the Avalanche.

Changes in the system happen slowly, but they happen, imo, without haste. The power play and the offense is focusing on play behind the net, freeing up Markov and Subban.

The best change is happening with the players themselves. Unlike the culture of the entitled vet under JM, guys are earning their spots, and no one is immune from benchings. He seems to have overcome his own paradigms, as press conference criticisms and Francis Bouillon are kept to a minimum.

There's still a place in the game for old school coaches who trade primarily in motivation. If you feel Michel isn't "en vogue" enough, perhaps you should have a nice long cry for the careers of Guy Boucher and Dallas Eakins?

It's pretty hard to argue with success. I never know why the guy behind the bench does one unexpected thing or another. No idea. I ain't smart enough to be a critic.

Heard a good one today.

A Toronto fan wants to have Leaf players for pallbearers at his funeral, so they can let him down one last time....

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA!!

How much of that Kool aid did you drink? It is not good for you.

How much of that Kool aid did you drink? It is not good for you.

But what could he do, or what has he overlooked that could dramatically help the team?

I like Therrien. I'm no managerial apologist, I hated JM/Cunneyworth/Gauthier.

I'm tired of hearing "Therrien won't play Beaulieu-Therrien plays Bouillon/Murray-Therrien is hard on Subban." How big of a difference are we looking at?

Beaulieu had two assists in 16 games.

Subban is having his best season ever.

Murray is a below average number six, and Bouillon is an injury replacement.

No real game changers here.

But what could he do, or what has he overlooked that could dramatically help the team?

I like Therrien. I'm no managerial apologist, I hated JM/Cunneyworth/Gauthier.

I'm tired of hearing "Therrien won't play Beaulieu-Therrien plays Bouillon/Murray-Therrien is hard on Subban." How big of a difference are we looking at?

Beaulieu had two assists in 16 games.

Subban is having his best season ever.

Murray is a below average number six, and Bouillon is an injury replacement.

No real game changers here.

only time will tell.

Conner Crisp got his 1st AHL game under his belt and another 20 yr old, Brady Vail also suited up for Dogs yesterday. Crisp was physical but both had limited action (to be expected in 1st game).

However, 21 year old Sven Andrighetto continues to play solid offense and sniped another sweet goal and sits at 16goals-40points in 57 games. Just too bad he missed 12games in Nov/Dec with injury, but still looking very good in rookie year.

I don't have the remotest clue what goes into the decisions that are made behind the bench. Not a clue. I suspect there are variables at play moment to moment, quick decisions and intuitions and bench facts, that we can't know until someone writes their autobiography a few decades later.

This is not of course to say that I don't think knowledgeable fans can't make astute judgments. But I'm not in that league at all.

I don't have the remotest clue what goes into the decisions that are made behind the bench. Not a clue. I suspect there are variables at play moment to moment, quick decisions and intuitions and bench facts, that we can't know until someone writes their autobiography a few decades later.

This is not of course to say that I don't think knowledgeable fans can't make astute judgments. But I'm not in that league at all.

But, you are perspicacious eh. :ph34r:

Ottawa gives up lots of goals, so heres hoping some Hab forward, besides 1st line dudes, can have a big game and Budaj shuts em down.

However, 21 year old Sven Andrighetto continues to play solid offense and sniped another sweet goal and sits at 16goals-40points in 57 games. Just too bad he missed 12games in Nov/Dec with injury, but still looking very good in rookie year.

He's a guy I was completely wrong on. I didn't think his drafting was going to mean much as an overager. Getting passed up for two drafts and we take him in the third round? But it turns out the kid can play. We didn't have a third round pick in 2011 so it's almost like we took him then. Small but skilled.

But, you are perspicacious eh. :ph34r:

Ottawa gives up lots of goals, so heres hoping some Hab forward, besides 1st line dudes, can have a big game and Budaj shuts em down.

don 2 minutes for using really big words, there are only a couple of us that actually know what that means :)

don 2 minutes for using really big words, there are only a couple of us that actually know what that means :)

It's good that your taking a broad perspective on such usages... :clap:

Was just for fun, TorontoHab mentioned astute and ..(I didn't know what it was neither, but what an odd one)

Wont happen again! :nuts:

Was just for fun, TorontoHab mentioned astute and ..(I didn't know what it was neither, but what an odd one)

Wont happen again! :nuts:

well it was a good one for sure

Persipacious-Having great insight. I had no idea what this meany either, but I looked it up

Idle hands can look up weird stuff quick these days.

Looked at Briere's playoff production and pretty good;

27goals in last 3 playoffs in 45 games

and has 50 goals in 108 games for career.

So he is experienced playoff scorer and may prove Bergevin right by signing?

And Wiese/Gorges almost 100% and Swedish Frankenstein will be back (or eligible) on Thursday, so would be a fairly healthy team heading into playoffs and hopefully Moan/Prust are doing better?

• 2 weeks later...

Are we positive now?

WIll they win Sunday?

Without Ben Bishop and his swollen save percentage, the Lightning aren't a playoff team.

Something worth noting from being at the game, Lindback stormed off to the dressing room and didn't return after being pulled. That says a lot about the Lightning. What are the chances MB/MT allow that to happen?

I didn't think Lindback played badly at all, apart from that Gallagher goal. Pulling him was an over-reaction and revealed the non-existent confidence they have in him. Tearing the kid down when you need him most - not a sharp coaching move IMHO.

Secondary scoring is always a bonus.

Nice to see 6 forwards/2 d-men with multiple points in 1st two games. (none being named Markov-Pacioretty-Plekanec)

And you know Pacioretty is gonna have a big game sooner or later and he at least got his 1st playoff point out of way yesterday.

Guest Stogey24

I didn't think Lindback played badly at all, apart from that Gallagher goal. Pulling him was an over-reaction and revealed the non-existent confidence they have in him. Tearing the kid down when you need him most - not a sharp coaching move IMHO.

He was on his knees the entire series. The right move would have been for Tampa to start their backup in game 3.