Official NHL 2010-2011 thread

JoeLassister

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pronger got called for the Sean Avery penalty yesterday, and it cancelled the potential game-winning goal. lol

Better still, the penalty is likely to force a re-write of the rule. By rule alone, the wrong call was made but it was made "within the spirit of the rule." Now that 'spirit' will probably have to be written too.

Mike Modano (DET) out indefinitely after severing a tendon in his wrist and slight nerve damage. Just when he was starting to play a little better too.

Better still, the penalty is likely to force a re-write of the rule. By rule alone, the wrong call was made but it was made "within the spirit of the rule." Now that 'spirit' will probably have to be written too.

Mike Modano (DET) out indefinitely after severing a tendon in his wrist and slight nerve damage. Just when he was starting to play a little better too.

What is the exact rule wording then? I know that the hand-waving didn't actually impede Kipper's play on the goal, but Pronger was clearly obscuring his vision shortly before that. To me, that's goalie interference.

What is the exact rule wording then? I know that the hand-waving didn't actually impede Kipper's play on the goal, but Pronger was clearly obscuring his vision shortly before that. To me, that's goalie interference.

I'm in a hurry so I can look up the exact Avery rule (Rule 75) but long story short, it's supposed to be called when the player is facing the goalie directly - Pronger wasn't.

Chicago must really regret than they had to give away Byfuglien and Ladd for almost nothing. They are a big reason why Atlanta is such a good team all of a sudden!

Since Nov 19, they have beaten Washington, Detroit, Montréal and now Boston. Perhaps it is time to take these guys seriously!

Edited by Jean

Chicago must really regret than they had to give away Byfuglien and Ladd for almost nothing. They are a big reason why Atlanta is such a good team all of a sudden!

Since Nov 19, they have beaten Washington, Detroit, Montréal and now Boston. Perhaps it is time to take these guys seriously!

Part of the problem is coming from Tallon being just an idiot. When he forgot to send is RFA offers they had to sign some of their players for a little bit more expensive than supposed.

Boston gets under the cap (for now) by dealing Matt Hunwick to Colorado for prospect Colby Cohen. This will give Colorado about 231 d-men when all are healthy (seriously, 9 regulars not including Holos who was up earlier), one would think they'll be shipping some of these D out in the next little bit.

Another day, another Colorado D trade as Scott Hannan has been dealt to Washington for Tomas Fleischmann. Not liking this, Hannan, unlike most of the Capitals, actually knows where the defensive zone in. Decent deal for both sides, Washington gets their D, Colorado gets a decent forward and sheds an iffy contract.

Brian Lee waived by Ottawa, how far has his stock fallen...

Surprised this wasn't mentioned yet, Leafs' GM Brian Burke refused to go on HNIC last weekend for an interview. He did so over protest - he felt HNIC was too negative towards the Leafs this season. I can't help but find that amusing. How positive can you be about a team that's fighting...for last in the division...again?

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/blogs/ronmaclean/...rian-burke.html

Long time coming, and oh how far he's fallen. Mike Komisarek is a healthy scratch for the Leafs (losing 4-1) tonight.

Boston makes 2 minor deals, the only reason I note it is because it frees up a 50-contract spot (and one of those trades looked eerily reminiscent of a TOR-TB one early this offseason where the sole purpose was to get a reserve list spot open).

Surprised this wasn't mentioned yet, Leafs' GM Brian Burke refused to go on HNIC last weekend for an interview. He did so over protest - he felt HNIC was too negative towards the Leafs this season. I can't help but find that amusing. How positive can you be about a team that's fighting...for last in the division...again?

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/blogs/ronmaclean/...rian-burke.html

That's hilarious. What a crybaby.

Here's another hilarious thing:

Linus Omark wins it in a SO for the Oil

Game recap @ NHL.com

And the losers get their panties in a bunch:

"Nice goal, good move by him," forward Simon Gagne said. "Nice move. But in the NHL, there is a line. You don’t want to cross it. I think that time? It was a little bit too much."

Added defenseman Mattias Ohlund: "If one of our young guys did that, the (veterans) would tell him jot to do it anymore. Was it disrespectful? Absolutely."

I can understand the Lightning being upset, it's not as if the move helped lead to the goal. If he did a spin move near the crease, that's one thing, doing a meaningless spin-o-rama before the blueline, probably wasn't required. Not anything terrible by any stretch but I can buy the showboating argument.

Also, Sturm to LA...again. Watch for it to happen soon.

I can understand the Lightning being upset, it's not as if the move helped lead to the goal. If he did a spin move near the crease, that's one thing, doing a meaningless spin-o-rama before the blueline, probably wasn't required. Not anything terrible by any stretch but I can buy the showboating argument.

Also, Sturm to LA...again. Watch for it to happen soon.

I for one think that the spin-o-rama wasn't meaningless at all. I think it contributed to the goal only by sending a "WTF" message to the goalie right from the start. That combined with the fake slapshot move... I trully believe that it played in a little bit in Ellis head as he was crashing the net full speed, like in "ok, what's coming now ????".

Burke retracts his boycott, sort of, saying he didn't mean for his comments on lack of support and his refusal to come on the show to be construed together. Apparently, he doesn't think fans are capable of putting one and one together? Wow.

MacLean's latest on the situation: http://www.cbc.ca/sports/blogs/ronmaclean/...ic-meeting.html