Official NHL 2010-2011 thread

JoeLassister

Burke retracts his boycott, sort of, saying he didn't mean for his comments on lack of support and his refusal to come on the show to be construed together. Apparently, he doesn't think fans are capable of putting one and one together? Wow.

MacLean's latest on the situation: http://www.cbc.ca/sports/blogs/ronmaclean/...ic-meeting.html

Burke and Wilson are dinosaurs. I hope the leafs sign them to lifetime contracts.

Then again, they were Stanley Cup Champions after the first four games of this seasaon, so I guess they were doing something right - well, until reality paid a visit at least.

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gotta love the instant karma in the Anaheim/Minnesota game. Mikko Koivu rips Bobby Ryan's stick out of his hands, and Ryan ends up picking up Koivu's discarded stick and scoring. Even better - it was the wrong handed stick!

Not NHL related necessarily but remember that big 4 year deal Evgeni Nabokov signed with SKA St. Petersburg of the KHL in the summer? He was released today. If he were to come back, he'd have to clear NHL entry waivers.

I heard he left the team cause his kid is ill, so I doubt he'll be coming back to North Amerca any time soon.

Can't help pointing and laughing at the Capitals. Getting blown out in New York, 0-7 against the Rangers. Please Sweaty Teddy, never fire Bruce Boohoodreau and Ovenchiken. :lol:

I heard he left the team cause his kid is ill, so I doubt he'll be coming back to North Amerca any time soon.

Can't help pointing and laughing at the Capitals. Getting blown out in New York, 0-7 against the Rangers. Please Sweaty Teddy, never fire Bruce Boohoodreau and Ovenchiken. :lol:

His agent said he intends to pursue an NHL contract though. I must admit I'm surprised given that was one of the reasons he left SKA.

Happens once or twice a season actually, it happened to Pittsburgh last year, they had to bring in one of their prospects, I think it was Alexander Pechurski. Vancouver did it a few years back as well, plus the one referenced in the article. Good thing I didn't have Bryzgalov in net in the pool tonight.

Alexander Frolov may be heading to Russia...before this season is over. Apparently, he has been in talks with Salavat Yulaev UFA of the KHL about coming over now due to lack of playing time (and lack of success). Furthermore, it sounds as if the KHL team has freed up some cap space to make room for Frolov as well. The Rangers don't appear like they'd be too upset if he transferred over there, they'd get the cap space like Chicago did with Huet, though they may have to pay part of his contract as well. All of a sudden, I'm not quite as upset over the fact the Habs didn't sign him.

http://www.lifesports.ru/news/46571 (Sadly, it's in Russian but running it through a translator helps to get the rist of it.)

NJ has a new coach...sort of. Jacques Lemaire takes over for about the 235th time, replacing John MacLean.

Does this mean that Kovalchuk and co. will score.... less?

Mind-boggling.

New Jersey's magic number of death = 11 regulation losses. If they drop 11 more in regulation, the best output they can achieve is 92 points. YIKES!

I made this pic for the whole humour of the MacLean firing:

Sinking Ship / IMAGESHACK

It's too big to post on thread so I just put in the link. The pic is safe for work.

It's about time! I wish I could get that type of job security. Sutter has in the last 2 years the same track record as a Canadian Maritime Meteorologist as for as being correct in regards to his job.

:clap::lol:

Marek Svatos to STL, 1 year, $800k. He first has to clear waivers to play though, much like Nabokov will when he signs.

Didn't clear waivers after all, he's heading to Nashville instead, they claimed him today. Brian Rolston on re-entry, it's the moment of truth now, will someone take him at half price?

Didn't clear waivers after all, he's heading to Nashville instead, they claimed him today. Brian Rolston on re-entry, it's the moment of truth now, will someone take him at half price?

People are speculating that the Isles might claim him for a cushion above the cap floor and to show that they want to win.

Do you think the Isles can be accused of tanking after the Wiz trade? They continually use un-ready prospects in the NHL and leave support veterans aside. Now they trade their #1 d-man (with Streit out) for picks when they likely could have received the same return at the trade deadline and used their top d-man for two more months.

I wouldn't be surprised if they claim Rolston for purpose of having NJ pass them in the standings. ^_^

Former Lightning/Shark/Penguin Nils Ekman suffered a stroke yesterday and was rushed to the hospital. I don't know how serious it is, I've only read a few short notices. I assume a stroke is always serious though. I've always hated his guts. But any way you look at it, that's kinda scary. Dude's only 34. Hope he'll be OK.

Today he's been sitting up in his hospital bed today and he's been eating solid food. From what I understand he has been talking a little bit and the nausea is decreasing and the double vision seems to be going away too. Seems things are going in the right direction.

People are speculating that the Isles might claim him for a cushion above the cap floor and to show that they want to win.

Do you think the Isles can be accused of tanking after the Wiz trade? They continually use un-ready prospects in the NHL and leave support veterans aside. Now they trade their #1 d-man (with Streit out) for picks when they likely could have received the same return at the trade deadline and used their top d-man for two more months.

I wouldn't be surprised if they claim Rolston for purpose of having NJ pass them in the standings. ^_^

They're still above the cap floor while Tavares and the glutton of other rookies will hit some of their bonuses. They don't need to claim Rolston for that. I personally don't see them taking him unless they reach an agreement with a team higher up in the standings to claim and then trade him but even that's a reach considering the waiver rules. Edit: There really is a lot of speculation of this happening, I don't know why they'd do it but a lot of people seem to be expecting it to.

As for tanking accusations, not yet. If they start playing Nathan Lawson on a regular basis, then there's a case to be made.

Reading multiple teams claimed Rolston...pretty safe to assume he won't be available even if the Habs wanted him. Islanders for some unknown reason seem to be the frontrunner, some speculation Toronto may have put a claim in as well.

Edit: He wound up clearing after all, the online reports were false. Ryan Parent now on waivers as well.