Official NHL 2010-2011 thread

JoeLassister

I agree, but I don't think it's conclusive evidence, which it is required to be.

The evidence is there.

At 2:51 the linesman take the puck out of Luongo's right pad.

This same right pad clearly crosses the line at 1:18 .

It's been proven that 1+1 = 2 so this is a goal. I don't really care that we don't see the puck in all of this, it doesn't change the fact that the puck carrier (the pad) crossed the line so the puck itself crossed it.

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's been proven that 1+1 = 2 so this is a goal. I don't really care that we don't see the puck in all of this, it doesn't change the fact that the puck carrier (the pad) crossed the line so the puck itself crossed it.

I witnessed the other day, where a skater pushed his goalie, who was down, back over the goal line so when he got up the puck would not be seen over the goal line.

The evidence is there.

At 2:51 the linesman take the puck out of Luongo's right pad.

This same right pad clearly crosses the line at 1:18 .

In this particular instance, I completely agree with you... the puck was in... But in past instances, the judges have been unable to overturn the on-ice call if there was no visual evidence of the puck in the net. Like I said before, logically that puck is definitely in the net... But in the past, logic has never been a factor in overturning calls lol.

Just to play devil's advocate, what if the same play occurred where the puck got caught in the equipment, but didn't cross the goal-line as it did with Luongo? Say the goalie's equipment is all black, and as he pushes out of the net, the puck moves the short distance from the jersey to the pad, unseen due to the dark colouring and goalie positioning. The judges deem that since the puck was found in the pad and the pad crossed the goal-line, then it must be a goal, although in this instance, the puck didn't enter the net.

Like I said before, I agree with you fred, but I just think it sets a bad precedent when on-ice calls are overturned without actual visual proof.

In this particular instance, I completely agree with you... the puck was in... But in past instances, the judges have been unable to overturn the on-ice call if there was no visual evidence of the puck in the net. Like I said before, logically that puck is definitely in the net... But in the past, logic has never been a factor in overturning calls lol.

Just to play devil's advocate, what if the same play occurred where the puck got caught in the equipment, but didn't cross the goal-line as it did with Luongo? Say the goalie's equipment is all black, and as he pushes out of the net, the puck moves the short distance from the jersey to the pad, unseen due to the dark colouring and goalie positioning. The judges deem that since the puck was found in the pad and the pad crossed the goal-line, then it must be a goal, although in this instance, the puck didn't enter the net.

Like I said before, I agree with you fred, but I just think it sets a bad precedent when on-ice calls are overturned without actual visual proof.

Good one. Didn't think about this.

While I don't believe that a puck moving from a part of the body to another when the play is almost dead would have enough power to actually get stuck in the pads AND not being seen, I can't find any real counter argument to this scenario.

1 year extension for Alexander Semin in Washington, worth a whopping $6.7 million. After his struggles in the playoffs last year, I surely didn't think he'd getting a $700k raise on this year's salary. I know it buys out a UFA year but still. Brad Richards is smiling a little brighter today, that's for sure.

Zack Stortini from Edmonton was waived today, a telling sign of how individual toughness alone isn't good enough to cut it in the NHL now. $700k for this year is the cap hit for those interested, an RFA with arbitration rights in the offseason.

"The Buffalo Sabres today announced that Tom Golisano has reached an agreement to sell the Buffalo Sabres and its related companies to Terry Pegula. The agreement, completed at 1 p.m. today, is subject to certain closing conditions including review and approval by the National Hockey League. It is expected the NHL review process will take several weeks to complete..."

http://sabres.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=551300

Mike Smith is the "winner" of the who gets waived from Tampa contest with Roloson doing so well with the Lightning (a kind thanks to the forum member who happened to release him mere days before the trade in the pool :)). $2.2 mil is his contract (salary $2.4 M), a pending UFA for those who may be wondering if the Habs ought to claim him and waive Auld. Stortini cleared waivers, somewhere Don Cherry sheds a tear.

Mike Smith is the "winner" of the who gets waived from Tampa contest with Roloson doing so well with the Lightning (a kind thanks to the forum member who happened to release him mere days before the trade in the pool :)). $2.2 mil is his contract (salary $2.4 M), a pending UFA for those who may be wondering if the Habs ought to claim him and waive Auld. Stortini cleared waivers, somewhere Don Cherry sheds a tear.

Conversely, Don Cherry must be giving three cheers for Mike Brown's three-year extension.

On an slightly unrelated note, anyone remember how Don Cherry, at the beginning of the season, guaranteed the Leafs would make the playoffs in large part to the addition of "character" players like Brown and Tim Brent?

Conversely, Don Cherry must be giving three cheers for Mike Brown's three-year extension.

On an slightly unrelated note, anyone remember how Don Cherry, at the beginning of the season, guaranteed the Leafs would make the playoffs in large part to the addition of "character" players like Brown and Tim Brent?

He guarantees a playoff appearance every year, doesn't mean much. Don't forget Mike Zigomanis in your list of unheralded character players, a 6 minute per game 4th line C can make all the difference for that club. :)

He guarantees a playoff appearance every year, doesn't mean much. Don't forget Mike Zigomanis in your list of unheralded character players, a 6 minute per game 4th line C can make all the difference for that club. :)

Yes, he does make that guarantee every year. And it's funny every time :)

Edited by l.moustakas

DiPietro out 4-6 weeks as a result of injuries sustained during the 'fight' with Brent Johnson of Pittsburgh. Somewhere, brief Isles GM Neil Smith is cracking a smile - he was fired in large part due to his unwillingness to sign DiPietro that long. Wonder when the Islanders are holding open goalie tryouts, bound to be soon now that Kevin Poulin is their undisputed #1.

DiPietro out 4-6 weeks as a result of injuries sustained during the 'fight' with Brent Johnson of Pittsburgh. Somewhere, brief Isles GM Neil Smith is cracking a smile - he was fired in large part due to his unwillingness to sign DiPietro that long. Wonder when the Islanders are holding open goalie tryouts, bound to be soon now that Kevin Poulin is their undisputed #1.

Should have claimed Smith when they had the chance.

Malkin returns to the lineup last night vs Buffalo and tears his ACL and MCL. Done for the year unless he can play through the injury which sounds like is doubtful in this instance. Can you say ouch?

Speaking of ouch, Darryl Boyce of the Leafs lacerated his nostril after he went face-first into the photographers window in the glass. There's a picture floating around on the internet that's not for the squeamish.

Speaking of ouch, Darryl Boyce of the Leafs lacerated his nostril after he went face-first into the photographers window in the glass. There's a picture floating around on the internet that's not for the squeamish.

http://leafshq.com/2011/02/04/this-is-darryl-boyces-nose/

Apparently Forsberg resigned with Colorado. Anybody know why he didn't have to go through waivers?

He didn't play anywhere this year. Nabokov, Svatos, and Wellwood all did, that's why they had to go through. $1 mil pro-rated for Forsberg.

I still think trading Roloson was an obvious attempt to get the 1st overall pick. DiPietro can't stay healthy enough to be a #1 goalie (with no decent back up). It was certain that Kevin Poulin would wind up playing a lot of games.

But I can't believe DiPietro voluntarily got in a fight given his poor health.It would be like Eric Lindros coming out of retirement to fight Lucic.

But I can't believe DiPietro voluntarily got in a fight given his poor health.It would be like Eric Lindros coming out of retirement to fight Lucic.

I can't fault him too much for that - how long is the list of players who suffered knee injuries from taking 1 punch in a fight? Despite DiPietro's knee issues, I still think that's a freak injury.

I can't fault him too much for that - how long is the list of players who suffered knee injuries from taking 1 punch in a fight? Despite DiPietro's knee issues, I still think that's a freak injury.

I dunno, I think DP is the goalie version of Sami Salo. :)