Official NHL 2010-2011 thread

JoeLassister

I don't think he injured anything, just realized he wasn't going to be a star player. Flyers seem pretty much impossible to beat right now.

Foppa said his foot was bothering him, but that could just be the excuse for what you mentioned above.

The Flyers do seem to be the team to beat, but how often are those teams upset early in the playoffs? I sure hope that's the case, because it certainly seems like they're building to win this year, and screw the future.

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jarkko Ruutu to Anaheim for a 6th round pick. Good move for the Ducks who get a little tougher to play against. Surprised he only fetched a 6th, I thought the Sens did well with their first two deals but not so much here.

Ya I was thinking 4th or 5th round pick would be his price.

Brian Elliott headed to Colorado for Craig Anderson. This one surprised me greatly.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=354385

That's who Colorado is going to go with next year? Oh boy... Ottawa's looking at Anderson at being an option for next year, they get a bit of time to evaluate him, good deal on their end. I don't get it for Colorado though.

That's who Colorado is going to go with next year? Oh boy... Ottawa's looking at Anderson at being an option for next year, they get a bit of time to evaluate him, good deal on their end. I don't get it for Colorado though.

I understand it more for Colorado. Eliott was once considered a franchise goalie and I actually like his play. He plays for a horrid team. As for Anderson he has been a career back-up with only one good season that he could not keep going this year. Financially Colorado gets a cheaper and younger goalie in Elliot who is not a UFA at seasons end. Anderson is older, more expensive and is a UFA at seasons end. Eliott has far more potential than Anderson. Colorado must of figured that they were not going to sign Anderson this summer as well. So I say better deal for Colorado then it is for Ottawa.

I understand it more for Colorado. Eliott was once considered a franchise goalie and I actually like his play. He plays for a horrid team. As for Anderson he has been a career back-up with only one good season that he could not keep going this year. Financially Colorado gets a cheaper and younger goalie in Elliot who is not a UFA at seasons end. Anderson is older, more expensive and is a UFA at seasons end. Eliott has far more potential than Anderson. Colorado must of figured that they were not going to sign Anderson this summer as well. So I say better deal for Colorado then it is for Ottawa.

I can't ever remember Elliott being considered a franchise goalie but he was decent a couple years back for a little while. That said, Anderson has proven more than Elliott over his career, he was a solid backup in the East a couple years ago with the Panthers. When I look at Colorado, is Brian Elliott going to take them anywhere? Unless it's further down the cellar, probably not. I didn't think Ottawa was going to tender him as an RFA and I think Elliott will have to a complete 180 on his season to be tendered by the Avs. I suppose it's an extended tryout for both sides but I like Anderson's odds of succeeding a lot better...which is why I don't like this deal, I don't want the Sens getting better. :)

I can't ever remember Elliott being considered a franchise goalie but he was decent a couple years back for a little while. That said, Anderson has proven more than Elliott over his career, he was a solid backup in the East a couple years ago with the Panthers. When I look at Colorado, is Brian Elliott going to take them anywhere? Unless it's further down the cellar, probably not. I didn't think Ottawa was going to tender him as an RFA and I think Elliott will have to a complete 180 on his season to be tendered by the Avs. I suppose it's an extended tryout for both sides but I like Anderson's odds of succeeding a lot better...which is why I don't like this deal, I don't want the Sens getting better. :)

Again as always time will tell who wins this deal.

Looks as if Kaberle to Boston is a done deal. To Boston for a first round pick, conditional pick, and prospect Colborne. Mackenzie and Dreger were the first to break the news.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=354402

Edited by Habsfan84

2 1st's for Kaberle (Colborne was a 1st), pretty good haul for Toronto I must say.

Toronto is doing a nice job this season at getting picks and prospects. They have done good for themselves.

Dreger reporting that Blake Wheeler may be moved as well. They now have to get rid of salary with the acquisition of Kaberle and this is a way to do it.

Bruins may have another deal involving Blake Wheeler in the works. Leafs not involved.

Mackenzie going further to give the specifics of the trade that may happen

Not official yet, but BOS trading Wheeler and Stuart to ATL for Peverley and Valabik. Pending trade call.

*now official* the trade call has gone through

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=354407

Edited by Habsfan84

Toronto is doing a nice job this season at getting picks and prospects. They have done good for themselves.

Dreger reporting that Blake Wheeler may be moved as well. They now have to get rid of salary with the acquisition of Kaberle and this is a way to do it.

Now let's see if they keep the picks or trade them...I read in the Toronto Star yesterday they intend to move some picks for help now, which would go against what they've been doing. As for Wheeler, Boston has to clear about 1.5 mil before the Kaberle deal can be made official so watch for that to happen very soon.

Looks like Burke has finally figured it out. Of course, a low first-round pick and a conditional second-rounder are, perhaps, far from guarantees of future success especially given the dismal track record of the Leafs' scouting staff. :B) And although Burke will spin this as 'recovering the lost pick,' and the media will probably go along with him, the fact remains that Burke still gave up Kaberle and Seguin and went from a high (star-player-calibre) pick to a low first round pick in order to acquire Kessel :P

More disconcerting is Boston's loading up. Unless Washington is saving it for the dance, there are only two real contenders in the East. One thing I notice - winning teams aren't afraid of the cap. They go after the players they want and deal with the cap implications later. We should keep this in mind if the opportunity to acquire a good second-line C comes up (and yeah, Gomer Pyle, I'm looking at you).

Derek Joslin to Carolina for future considerations. Methinks something's up in San Jose. If you buy the Ian White rumours, Joslin could take his spot on the blueline.

Early reports suggest White may take Joslin's spot in SJ - why 2 separate trades then?

Early reports suggest White may take Joslin's spot in SJ - why 2 separate trades then?

Ya this one was a weird one. They could have done the deals at the same time. Instead they get White to San Jose for two picks after the trade of Joslin going to Carolina for future considerations. No word on what round the picks are or what the future considerations are.

Edited by Habsfan84

White wound up fetching a 2012 2nd, that was the only pick involved there.

Eric Brewer to TB for prospect Brock Beukeboom and a 3rd round pick. Now it's Tampa's turn to make another move since that's yet another d-man for them. Looks like the Blues are selling now.

Today has been a pretty busy day as far as trades go. I cant remember when there were this many trades leading up to the deadline. Makes me wonder if the actual trade deadline day will have many deals???

Today has been a pretty busy day as far as trades go. I cant remember when there were this many trades leading up to the deadline. Makes me wonder if the actual trade deadline day will have many deals???

I hope so, I plan my whole day around sitting in front of the TV on D-Day. Also involves checking my e-mail about 20 times that day as well. There should be quite a few deals still, just more of the ___ round pick for ___ rental player variety.

In a surprising move (for me anyway) the Blues continue their blue-line purge and ship Erik Johnson, Jay McClement and a conditional 1st-rounder to the Avs for Chris Stewart, Kevin Shattenkirk and a conditional 2nd-rounder. Hard to believe that STL is giving up on a former 1st overall pick so quickly.

In a surprising move (for me anyway) the Blues continue their blue-line purge and ship Erik Johnson, Jay McClement and a conditional 1st-rounder to the Avs for Chris Stewart, Kevin Shattenkirk and a conditional 2nd-rounder. Hard to believe that STL is giving up on a former 1st overall pick so quickly.

That's the going market rate for a young blossoming power forward evidently. Shattenkirk (or as he's affectionately known to some on this forum, Kittenshark) is having a terrific rookie campaign for the Avs and is a former 1st rounder himself, as is Stewart. I don't think they've given up per se on Johnson but they saw the opportunity to get another big forward to play alongside the blossoming forward talent they've already got. Best thing yet, this was a pure hockey deal - no rentals or cap issues.

Conditions on the picks: If STL finishes in the bottom 10 this year, they can delay sending the 1st until next year but it becomes an unprotected pick. If STL waits until next year, the 2nd rounder coming back also is 2012. If not, both picks are 2011 ones.