Official NHL 2010-2011 thread

JoeLassister

Generally, I pay little attention to the nominees for the Masterton but seeing Ian Laperriere as a finalist really bugs me. The Masterton is awarded to the player who best exemplifies the qualities of perseverance, sportsmanship, and dedication to hockey. Correct me if I'm wrong, but in order to have those qualities, should a player not have to, you know, actually play during the season? Or failing that, at least make an attempt to play? Laperriere played as much in the NHL as me and Youppi did this season while Youppi practiced more; Laperriere missed the season due to a concussion...and Philly's cap troubles. I've no objection to Emery and Langkow being the other finalists (they're no brainers to me as Langkow did manage to come back after training all year) but among the other hundreds of players in the league, they couldn't find one who actually played and exemplified those qualities? Either no one has these qualities, or the voters didn't try very hard.

At least they didn't pick Georges Laraque.

I think Emery will win.

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No consideration for Guy Boucher for the Jack Adams award. I thought he was going to win the coach of the year award. He orchestrated a very great turnaround with this franchise. I guess the credit has been split with Yzerman, Stamkos (leading scorer for most of the year) and St. Louis (Hart candidate).

That said, I have nothing against Vigneault who led the Canucks to a President trophy despite having his complete D out of the lineup, Bylsma who led a team similar to the pre-lockout Pens to a division title, and Trotz who led a no-name team to its 7th winning season in a row.

The City of Glendale is offering to extend their deal with the NHL to cover up to $25 million in losses next season in exchange for the league agreeing to run the team next season. This would allow more time to find a buyer willing to continually lose money in a market with little hope...I mean, a buyer willing to keep the team in Glendale.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/hockey/arizona-hopes-to-hang-on-to-coyotes/article2013660/

Tweet of the day from Philly's Mike Richards:

Apparently if you don't pay your comcast bill they just shut you down, a phone call would of been nice.

http://twitter.com/#!/MRichie18/status/69482663613968384

Notwithstanding the proper usage of the term, 'would have,' I do want to point out that Richards made $6.4 million this season. How expensive is Comcast Cable? I know it's probably just a simple misunderstanding but I found that hilarious.

Some sad news tonight as Rangers tough guy Derek Boogaard passed away this morning in his apartment at the age of 28.

I was shocked when I heard the news. 28 years old. That is truly tragic. :( I'm not a big fan of fighting and goons, but Boogard was cool IMO.

It'll be interesting to find out what the cause of death was. Remember that other young Ranger who died a couple of years ago? Cherepanov? I'm not saying there was an foul play in Boogard's case, but I also can't help wondering what may have caused his death. Probably some disease or physical defect (I don't know if this is the right word, pardon my crappy English) that no one was aware of. I mean, I can name two Swedish goaltenders with NHL experience under their belt who both suffer from heart conditions - Maple Leaf Jonas Gustafsson and former Flyer/Islander Tommy Söderström. It may have been something like that in Boogard's case, only unlike said Swedish goalies, no doctor found out about Boogard (at least I don't remember ever hearing about him having that kind of problems).

Curtis Glencross signed with the Flames at a 2 550 000 cap hit... with a No Movement Clause. That's 7 NMC's (so far) for next season on the Flames.

Add 3 No Trade Clauses, and that's half a team that doesn't have to go anywhere they don't want to.

I get that Glencross is a good two-way forward and all but when you start locking in players who have got more than 20 goals and more than 40 points exactly once (this year) to 4 year deals with NMC's at over $2.5 mil per year, something is seriously wrong. Looks as if Feaster is just going to keep Sutter's status quo in Calgary and that's not good.

Big loss for Detroit as Brian Rafalski will retire on Wednesday, despite having 1 year and $6 million left on his deal. Though it gives Detroit some cap space, he'll be a tough player to replace for sure.

Big loss for Detroit as Brian Rafalski will retire on Wednesday, despite having 1 year and $6 million left on his deal. Though it gives Detroit some cap space, he'll be a tough player to replace for sure.

If Lidstrom retires as well, that defense could take a huge hit with no comparable replacements for those 2 on the free agent market.

It seems that Atlanta to Winnipeg is emminent. I think this would enhance the chances of one Ben Maxwell sticking. Winnipeg should have a larger window to be successful and bringing in youth would be a good start. Nobody would expect a Stanley Cup here for years. I believe Ben is a western boy. I wouldn't be surprised if other Bulldogs ended up in Winnipeg, especially if they have a successful Calder run.

• 2 weeks later...

Speaking of that soon to be named Winnipeg team, they just fired their GM who had 4 years left on his contract. Yep, this ownership actually has something the Atlanta one didn't, money. Don't like the move at all, Dudley is an underrated GM. The scuttlebutt seems to be that the GM of the Moose, Craig Heisinger, is likely to get the job though Kevin Cheveldayoff, another AHL GM, is also a candidate.

Speaking of that soon to be named Winnipeg team, they just fired their GM who had 4 years left on his contract. Yep, this ownership actually has something the Atlanta one didn't, money. Don't like the move at all, Dudley is an underrated GM. The scuttlebutt seems to be that the GM of the Moose, Craig Heisinger, is likely to get the job though Kevin Cheveldayoff, another AHL GM, is also a candidate.

Firing your GM 20 days before the draft? Weird...

Firing your GM 20 days before the draft? Weird...

It just means that the head scout takes over and runs the draft. It seems to me the Habs were in a similar situation back in 2003 (?) having just gone through a GM switch, albeit not a firing.

It just means that the head scout takes over and runs the draft. It seems to me the Habs were in a similar situation back in 2003 (?) having just gone through a GM switch, albeit not a firing.

Canoe had Atlanta firing their GM . I thought the deal was imminent but still had to be approved by the owners? Has that already taken place?

Canoe had Atlanta firing their GM . I thought the deal was imminent but still had to be approved by the owners? Has that already taken place?

It's the True North ownership group that made the decision, not the Atlanta Spirit one so although technically they're still the Thrashers, this is Winnipeg making the call. The rubber stamp to truly make it official won't happen until I believe June 21st.

Bryzgalov's rights traded from Phoenix to Philly for a 3rd next year, AHL goon Matt Clackson (Philly actually gives up a tough guy?) and futures dependent on him signing. This really comes as no surprise, the Flyers have been linked to him for a while now but I'm curious to see how they plan to fit him in on the cap.

Bryzgalov's rights traded from Phoenix to Philly for a 3rd next year, AHL goon Matt Clackson (Philly actually gives up a tough guy?) and futures dependent on him signing. This really comes as no surprise, the Flyers have been linked to him for a while now but I'm curious to see how they plan to fit him in on the cap.

All they needed, really, was a goalie. If they can pull that off, I go already with them for the SC next season.

All they needed, really, was a goalie. If they can pull that off, I go already with them for the SC next season.

I have to agree, but you've got to wonder what they're going to need to give up to fit Bryz into their roster. They're sitting at $58,969,155, and they've got a few other spots to fill; even with the cap going up (and Leighton going down) they'll be hard pressed to sign everyone and give Bryz the money they want.