Official NHL 2010-2011 thread

JoeLassister

That's the going market rate for a young blossoming power forward evidently. Shattenkirk (or as he's affectionately known to some on this forum, Kittenshark) is having a terrific rookie campaign for the Avs and is a former 1st rounder himself, as is Stewart. I don't think they've given up per se on Johnson but they saw the opportunity to get another big forward to play alongside the blossoming forward talent they've already got. Best thing yet, this was a pure hockey deal - no rentals or cap issues.

Conditions on the picks: If STL finishes in the bottom 10 this year, they can delay sending the 1st until next year but it becomes an unprotected pick. If STL waits until next year, the 2nd rounder coming back also is 2012. If not, both picks are 2011 ones.

That just made my day lol.

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Souray on re-entry waivers...think anyone will bite?

I wouldn't be surprised... $2.7M for another year and a bit isn't too much to pay for someone like Souray.

That being said, I'm sure some teams will avoid him like the plague.

I wouldn't be surprised... $2.7M for another year and a bit isn't too much to pay for someone like Souray.

That being said, I'm sure some teams will avoid him like the plague.

That's the cap hit. The salary is actually lower (pro-rated $4.5 million). To a lower cap spending team, Souray for $2.25 million could really be quite a bargain.

In a surprising move (for me anyway) the Blues continue their blue-line purge and ship Erik Johnson, Jay McClement and a conditional 1st-rounder to the Avs for Chris Stewart, Kevin Shattenkirk and a conditional 2nd-rounder. Hard to believe that STL is giving up on a former 1st overall pick so quickly.

Personally I think the Blues getting Stewart is a bit of a steal in that trade.

Personally I think the Blues getting Stewart is a bit of a steal in that trade.

If I had to declare a winner, it'd be the Blues by a nose right now. If Johnson turns into that franchise d-man most expected him to be though, the Avs will make out very well here.

James Neal and Matt Niskanen dealt to the Pens for Alex Goligoski. Solid deal for the Pens, a young scoring winger. I've always liked Niskanen too. Goligoski should be a good fit in Dallas as well, as they don't really have a good offensive defenceman...until now.

Souray clears. Small surprise from waiverland today, Niklas Hagman was waived. That contract Cliff Fletcher gave him isn't helping that cause though. Wonder if Calgary has a move in mind that they need to clear some space for.

!!

Habs should claim!

Imagine had they claimed Souray too. They would have added Souray, Mara and Hagman for a 5th round pick. Now that's some bargain basement deadline shopping! (Not that I really wanted Gauthier to claim Souray.) Hagman is 3 million for a 30-45 point player - that isn't much worse than Kostitsyn, and given our LTIR space, we don't really have anything to lose by adding him. Hagman specifically was a guy I thought we might want to trade for.

They wouldn't have had the space to claim both Hagman and Souray. The Habs have around $3.3 million in space (Spacek could raise that but nothing's confirmed), Hagman's $3M would eliminate basically all their remaining space. If he was waived at the deadline, I'd be a lot more inclined rather than to lock in here.

They wouldn't have had the space to claim both Hagman and Souray. The Habs have around $3.3 million in space (Spacek could raise that but nothing's confirmed), Hagman's $3M would eliminate basically all their remaining space. If he was waived at the deadline, I'd be a lot more inclined rather than to lock in here.

But what are they going to have to give up to get Boyes, Dumont, Huselius? I think I'd rather take Hagman for free, as I don't think Montreal's really in a position to be trading picks or prospects for rental reclamation projects. If Spacek's out, they could find a way to makee a second move.

Hagman clears, not yet assigned to Abbotsford. This means the Flames probably don't have a move they needed to clear out the space for.

:(

At least now we can be pretty sure that something's going to happen. If they didn't think they'd wind up adding a player, they would have just taken Hagman.

:(

At least now we can be pretty sure that something's going to happen. If they didn't think they'd wind up adding a player, they would have just taken Hagman.

Or maybe they just don't like Hagman, he's down to the 4th line in Calgary now. That's a hefty price tag if indeed his better days are behind him.

Or maybe they just don't like Hagman, he's down to the 4th line in Calgary now. That's a hefty price tag if indeed his better days are behind him.

Ya I for one would not like to take on his salary. He is not worth it in my opinion.

Lots of names to ponder today:

Nikolai Zherdev (PHI)

Craig Rivet (BUF)

Marek Svatos (NSH)

Ales Kotalik (CGY - re-entry)

Jeremy Colliton (NYI)

Wonder if Zherdev, no matter how enigmatic he is, could be of interest.

I wouldnt mind a Rivet or a Zherdev. But I doubt the Habs will pick up any of them, since I think they have a plan for this deadline.

I wouldnt mind a Rivet or a Zherdev. But I doubt the Habs will pick up any of them, since I think they have a plan for this deadline.

Rivet has been a healthy scratch for a long time now, not sure he's any better than Mara, despite being nearly 5x the cost. I must admit though, Zherdev piques my interest a little and his cap hit is low enough that it would still permit a secondary move to be made.

Rivet has been a healthy scratch for a long time now, not sure he's any better than Mara, despite being nearly 5x the cost. I must admit though, Zherdev piques my interest a little and his cap hit is low enough that it would still permit a secondary move to be made.

Zherdev is cheaper than Kovalev. But I guess someone else will claim him before we get the chance.

Waiver review:

Nikolai Zherdev (PHI) - clears

Craig Rivet (BUF) - clears, to go on re-entry Friday, claim date Saturday

Marek Svatos (NSH) - claimed by Ottawa

Ales Kotalik (CGY - re-entry) - clears

Jeremy Colliton (NYI) - clears

Waived today:

Steve Bernier (FLA)

Mike Smith (TB - re-entry)

Kovalev traded to the Pens for a conditional draft pick - 7th guaranteed, 6th if the Pens win a round and he plays half the playoff games (I call it the 'Wisniewski clause'). Given that most playoff teams (the Habs included) did not have the cap space to absorb him outright, this comes as little surprise.

Waiver review:

Nikolai Zherdev (PHI) - clears

Craig Rivet (BUF) - clears, to go on re-entry Friday, claim date Saturday

Marek Svatos (NSH) - claimed by Ottawa

Ales Kotalik (CGY - re-entry) - clears

Jeremy Colliton (NYI) - clears

Waived today:

Steve Bernier (FLA)

Mike Smith (TB - re-entry)

Kovalev traded to the Pens for a conditional draft pick - 7th guaranteed, 6th if the Pens win a round and he plays half the playoff games (I call it the 'Wisniewski clause'). Given that most playoff teams (the Habs included) did not have the cap space to absorb him outright, this comes as little surprise.

I feel kinda bad if this is how Rivet's career ends. I always thought he was a stand up guy and a good habs when he was here. I wish him the best of luck.

Cory Stillman dealt to Carolina for Ryan Carter and a 5th rounder. I have to admit, that seems a little low, considering Carter was on waivers (with Anaheim) earlier this season. Also, from earlier today, Dan Ellis dealt to Anaheim for Curtis McElhinney. That precipitated Smith from the Lightning on re-entry; if he clears, McElhinney will be AHL bound.