Official NHL 2010-2011 thread

JoeLassister

Kovalchuck makes me LOL. I am so glad he is having a tough time. After all the media hype.

Worst shootout attempt since Patrick Eaves.

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Worst shootout attempt since Patrick Eaves.

Hahaha, but that one was actually fun to watch! Kovalchuk on the other hand, was very painful. I feel bad for him. Poor guy! Now take this 1000 dollars bill and wipe your tears ^_^

O'Byrne over 24+ minutes (and a plus 1) in his debut............leading all Av's D in icetime

Yeah, impressive numbers.. especially considering that just 36 hours ago he was still a Habs.

best of luck to him!

Turns out the Carter deal is for 11 years, $58 million. About a 0.25 M increase on his current cap hit. Brent Burns gets 2 games for the butt-end on Bernier yesterday.

In other news, Nazem Kadri was suspended for 2 games in the AHL today...interesting timing of the recall...

David Backes re-signs, 5 years, $22.5 M in STL. Hearing reports that Jeff Carter and Philly are nearing a 10-year :puke: extension. How they plan to manage that cap debacle is beyond me; heck, they can't manage the cap too well now.

Leafs call Aulie and Kadri up, looks as if the panic button is being pushed. If Kadri wasn't ready 2 weeks ago, he surely isn't now.

Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks for T-Bay, ex-habs Dominic Moore was moved up into his spot last night.

From Canoe Sports/ Transaction it appears Kadri has been suspended for 2 games. Will the NHL honour that suspension or will he play to-night? I think it sets a bad precedent if he plays.

I have a daughter, so I'm very sad about to hear about what's happened in Ottawa to the Luke Richardson family. Just horrible news.

I don't have any kids and I didn't care for Richardson as a player one bit. But you're right, that's a horrible thing to happen. My thoughts go out to him and his family. :(

Islanders fire coach Scott Gordon. They were terrific early on but injuries (and an overall lack of talent) finally caught up with them; I don't think this is a smart move to say the least. I also certainly didn't see that one coming. Any thoughts on who goes next?

Bridgeport coach Jack Capuano takes over on an interim basis for the rest of the season.

How about those Sean Avery antics, eh?

:puke:

Unbelievable, even for Avery. I seriously think he must stay up late at night inventing new ways to bring shame to the game of hockey.

Islanders fire coach Scott Gordon. They were terrific early on but injuries (and an overall lack of talent) finally caught up with them; I don't think this is a smart move to say the least. I also certainly didn't see that one coming. Any thoughts on who goes next?

Bridgeport coach Jack Capuano takes over on an interim basis for the rest of the season.

I've got to think that despite reports to the contrary from their respective GMs, Wilson and MacLean might be next.

How about those Sean Avery antics, eh?

I will say that Smid was looking at Avery, so it wasn't a complete sucker punch. But, no doubt, he was caught off guard. And, given Avery's reputation, I suspect that is just what he wanted. It makes one cringe to think that such a selfish, disrespectful person has the privilege of playing in the NHL and making the money that goes along with it.

:clap:

Bravo Islanders, Bravo. I mean, I get firing a coach during a 10-game losing streak, I do. But a young, rebuilding (when aren't they?) team with a 40-year old netminder and some of its best players injured. Don't get it.

I don't know it this has been posted.

Why does Colon Campbell still have a job with the NHL?

NHL vice president and league disciplinarian Colin Campbell is under fire for comments he made in a string of emails to then director of officiating Stephen Walkom.

Posted on hockey website www.mc79hockey.com, and written by Tyler Dellow, the emails raise questions about Campbell's impartiality, especially as it pertains to his son Gregory, an NHL player who was then on the Florida Panthers, but now plays for the Boston Bruins.

The email correspondence became a matter of public record in the wrongful dismissal case of referee Dean Warren against the NHL.

The emails were entered into evidence in the case, although specific references to names and dates were blacked out.

But Dellow, using the NHL schedule and specific details from the emails, was able to piece together specific references to identifiable players and games and cites Campbell calling Boston Bruin centre Marc Savard a "little fake artist" after Warren assessed Gregory Campbell a high-sticking minor on Savard and sending further emails to director of officiating Walkom complaining about the work of referees who gave Gregory a late-game penalty that resulted in a tying goal.

Here's the email Campbell sent to Walkom, as it appears in Dellow's story:

o Stephen Walkom/Tor/NHL@NHL

Subject Re: Delayed Penalties/High Sticks 02/#/2007 4:24 pm

A bend in the road is a dead end if you round the corner and Dean Warren is standing there. Your answer re: his high stick calls and the score of the game were horse ----. The 3rd call on [player] was while they were down 5 on 4 and on a def zone face off vs that little fake artist [player] I had him in [city] biggest faker going. And Warren fell for it when he grabbed his face on a face off. Your supposed to see the act, not call the embellishing act. Dean Warren has to go with [referee] There must be a way to get rid of this guy. Is there a way we can tract (sic) and total minors called by referees this year. We could then get the minors they call per game...or with 2 [referees on the ice] it is impossible? Warren and [referee] out of [club's] games. Give them to [referees].

And a follow up email sent by Campbell:

Re [player]

Colin Campbell to Stephen Walkom, Mike Murphy

02/#/2007 09:21 AM

I know Murph and Kinger like [player] as a player but my view of him is this exactly…he puts his whining ahead of the game. I don't think this is a regular occurrence (…..getting screwed) and...exploded...over the disallowed goal. He may be uncontrollable by...and...as I think his frustration level has hit a high point. He hates officials as well. He is still pissed off at [referee] for a call he missed in the playoffs years ago as I remember him bugging Murph about it. Let's give him Warren and [referee] than (sic) he will really have something to whine about.

Dellow was able to take information included in various emails and match them up to game sheets, determining the circumstances Campbell and others were referring to was a Feb. 24, 2007 game when Warren officiated a Florida-Atlanta game, where the Panthers were put two men down when Campbell was assessed a high-sticking minor off a faceoff with Savard.

Dellow raised the spectre of Campbell's feelings, as documented in the email, perhaps being a factor in Campbell's decision last March to not suspend Pittsburgh's Matt Cooke for the shoulder-to-the-head check that knocked out Savard and ultimately led to a new NHL rule on blindside hits to the head.

Dellow also highlighed another string of emails between Campbell and Walkom where Campbell is unhappy over a penalty assessed late in the game. Dellow deduced that the game in question was Florida-Atlanta and the penalized player was Gregory Campbell:

Sent: 11/#/2007 09:54 PM EST

To: Stephen Walkom

Subject: Penalty

Game not televised. Radio announcers said it was a bulls--- penalty…you need to find out for me. How…I don't know but this was awful. 1:30 left in 2-1 game for [team] and [player] scored with 2 second left to tie it up them won in OT. F---

Sent: 11/#/2007 09:56 PM EST

To: Colin Campbell

Subject: Re: Penalty

ok ill find out….

Re: Penalty

11/#/2007 10:48 PM

Colin Campbell to Stephen Walkom

Did you find out anything? It was [another referee] that made the call. Keep Warren and gas this ----head. 90 seconds left and he calls a weak penalty…tripping. Makes me sick. If I was at the game I would have had to fine me.

The NHL's policy with regards to interaction between Campbell and his son or any games involving the team his son is playing on or against is to have Mike Murphy handle all related matters.

Contacted by TSN for its reaction to Dellow's piece, deputy commissioner Bill Daly said: "Any suggestion that Colin Campbell performs his job with any less than 100% integrity at all times and in every decision he makes is way off base and just factually wrong.  Because of the potential for a conflict of interest, or more importantly a perceived conflict of interest,  the League has implemented various structural protections that prohibit Colie from having any oversight or disciplinary authority relating to any game in which his son, Gregory, plays.  Its always fair to question and criticize League decisions as being wrong, but not on the basis that they aren't justly and fairly arrived at."

Contacted by TSN for his reaction, Campbell said: "For me, it's much ado about nothing. Stephen and I would have banter back and forth and Stephen knows I'm a (hockey) dad venting and both of us knowing it wouldn't go any further than that. Stephen would laugh at me. The game in question (when Gregory Campbell was penalized late in the Atlanta-Florida game) wasn't on TV and I was asking Stephen to find out for me if it was a soft call. That's all there ever was to it. The (refs) working that game are still in the league, aren't they? Stephen handled the officials, just like Terry Gregson does now, and I've got a lot of emails to those guys asking about this soft call or that soft call and that's in a lot of games. I'm not ultimately responsible for the (on-ice) officials, that's Terry Gregson's responsibility, but I have to answer to GMs on these calls."

I especially like this part:

Contacted by TSN for its reaction to Dellow's piece, deputy commissioner Bill Daly said: "Any suggestion that Colin Campbell performs his job with any less than 100% integrity at all times and in every decision he makes is way off base and just factually wrong.  Because of the potential for a conflict of interest, or more importantly a perceived conflict of interest,  the League has implemented various structural protections that prohibit Colie from having any oversight or disciplinary authority relating to any game in which his son, Gregory, plays.  Its always fair to question and criticize League decisions as being wrong, but not on the basis that they aren't justly and fairly arrived at."

Riiiiiiiiiiiight. :rolleyes:

Edited by Doktor Kosmos

Smoley hokes, another trade! Flames deal Ian White and Brett Sutter (guess getting arrested outside a nightclub will do that for you) to Carolina for Anton Babchuk and ex-Hab Tom Kostopoulos. Both d-men are UFA's at years end and Calgary saves a bit of cap space which is sorely needed. White could be huge for Carolina's PP though.

Didn't know where to post this.

Funny site with hockey quotes.

http://hockeytribute.com/77-famous-ice-hockey-quotes.shtml

In overall, Harry Neale totally has the best quotes out there IE : " #10 ”I know my players don't like my practises, but that's OK because I don't like their games.” - Harry Neale."