Official NHL 2010-2011 thread

JoeLassister

Or maybe I was out to lunch there. San Jose claimed him today, I'm laughing my head off on that one. Poor St. Louis, they can't catch a break. Speaking of the Sharks, they also acquired Ben Eager from the Thrashers for a 5th rounder.

I'm shocked too. Of all teams to require someone like Wellwood...

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm shocked too. Of all teams to require someone like Wellwood...

Injuries have hurt their team (and Nichol just got a 4 game suspension). When you figure that they had Andrew Desjardins and Brandon Mashinter in their lineup, it makes a bit of sense to claim him.

Or maybe I was out to lunch there. San Jose claimed him today, I'm laughing my head off on that one. Poor St. Louis, they can't catch a break. Speaking of the Sharks, they also acquired Ben Eager from the Thrashers for a 5th rounder.

Low blow to St-Louis

Quick Lets trade Dan Boyd to St-Louis and pick him up by way of waivers when the Blues call him up!

Seriously Blues GM team must be furious! I would be out for blood!

Nabokov to Detroit appears close. Interesting, but understandable given that Osgood's out long-term, they need another suitable goalie.

From what I am reading, Detroit doesn't think he will clear waivers. I ask myself why Detroit is doing this? My answer. Detroit is rolling the dice hoping they will have inside track on Nabokov next year. Detroit never needs a shut down goalie, just a good consistent goalie. If Nabokov doesn't clear someboby else might be forced to put a goalie on waivers. That may be all Detroit needs. How do you read it?

From what I am reading, Detroit doesn't think he will clear waivers. I ask myself why Detroit is doing this? My answer. Detroit is rolling the dice hoping they will have inside track on Nabokov next year. Detroit never needs a shut down goalie, just a good consistent goalie. If Nabokov doesn't clear someboby else might be forced to put a goalie on waivers. That may be all Detroit needs. How do you read it?

Nabokov isn't their target, at least I don't think. Watch for a low ranked team to claim him, then flip their current backup to Detroit who needs a bit of help right now with injuries. The trade would be for pennies on the dollar. It wouldn't surprise me if a deal is in place already. Nabokov's deal has a NMC and he quietly has indicated that unless he's going to have a chance to play, he won't report to whoever claims him. That in itself will deter most teams, the Habs included I would think, from entering a claim. If he clears, even better for Detroit. I don't think they're looking at him for a long-term option though, Howard is their go-to guy, Osgood has another year on his deal (a 35+ contract too I think) and McCollum is their goalie of the future biding his time in Grand Rapids.

Nabokov isn't their target, at least I don't think. Watch for a low ranked team to claim him, then flip their current backup to Detroit who needs a bit of help right now with injuries. The trade would be for pennies on the dollar. It wouldn't surprise me if a deal is in place already. Nabokov's deal has a NMC and he quietly has indicated that unless he's going to have a chance to play, he won't report to whoever claims him. That in itself will deter most teams, the Habs included I would think, from entering a claim. If he clears, even better for Detroit. I don't think they're looking at him for a long-term option though, Howard is their go-to guy, Osgood has another year on his deal (a 35+ contract too I think) and McCollum is their goalie of the future biding his time in Grand Rapids.

This makes sense but it is risky. Two thoughts --- Nabokov may be better than anything Detroit has got. Montreal has bigger concerns than goaltending right now, I don't see them entering fray unless as you say there is a deal already in place. I don't see that because Montreal is too far up totem.

This makes sense but it is risky. Two thoughts --- Nabokov may be better than anything Detroit has got. Montreal has bigger concerns than goaltending right now, I don't see them entering fray unless as you say there is a deal already in place. I don't see that because Montreal is too far up totem.

Upon further examination, this is Osgood's last year of his 3 year deal so perhaps there is more of a long-term option. Did some digging, Howard's unrestricted as well this offseason (that surprised me), so there could be an internal competition of sorts moving forward. Makes a bit more sense now that they are at least attempting this.

Upon further examination, this is Osgood's last year of his 3 year deal so perhaps there is more of a long-term option. Did some digging, Howard's unrestricted as well this offseason (that surprised me), so there could be an internal competition of sorts moving forward. Makes a bit more sense now that they are at least attempting this.

If I recall, Dlbalr, you said that if a waiver period ends up in the weekend you add another 24hrs to that period and in this case we will not know if he clears till Sunday afternoon. I know you didn't say it exactly like that, but that is the jest of it I believe. Nabokov must know the risk that Detroit is taking, so when his contract is done in June, maybe he returns that loyality. I am just guessing, but that's what I meant by inside track. We all know that the management in Detroit is as smart as any.

If I recall, Dlbalr, you said that if a waiver period ends up in the weekend you add another 24hrs to that period and in this case we will not know if he clears till Sunday afternoon. I know you didn't say it exactly like that, but that is the jest of it I believe. Nabokov must know the risk that Detroit is taking, so when his contract is done in June, maybe he returns that loyality. I am just guessing, but that's what I meant by inside track. We all know that the management in Detroit is as smart as any.

If dispatched on the weekend, it's a 48-hour wait period, yes. Nabokov was placed today though so the 24 hour period applies. We'll know tomorrow.

Peter Forsberg is in Colorado today and will start skating with the team tomorrow. He hasn't signed yet and if he does, he will not require waivers like Nabokov, Wellwood, and Svatos. Interesting choice to replace Tomas Fleischmann who's out for the year.

If dispatched on the weekend, it's a 48-hour wait period, yes. Nabokov was placed today though so the 24 hour period applies. We'll know tomorrow.

Just for fun, I put together a short list where I think he may go. I think Ottawa is the most likely. I have Washington and Chicago if it gets by Edmonton,Toronto,Islanders and Ottawa.

Ottawa announced they did not claim Nabby, they were afraid of the NMC in his deal. Really? If you claim him, he can't be dealt anyways without being re-waived, Sens lose out on a pretty good free goalie for no good reason. Speculation seems to be the Isles at this point.

now the question becomes does he report to the Islanders? I expect him to, so he can try and earn a contract next year for a contender.

If not, he'll either sit or try and force the Isles to re-waive him. Probably won't take too long to find out the answer.

If not, he'll either sit or try and force the Isles to re-waive him. Probably won't take too long to find out the answer.

I don't think he has too much bargaining power. He is fortunate someone took risk in first place. Doesn't Detroit have to come up with half his salary?

Edited by BlueKross

I don't think he has too much bargaining power. He is fortunate someone took risk in first place. Doesn't Detroit have to come up with half his salary?

He thinks he does, told the Isles he won't report. They can now re-waive him or let him sit out the season. And Detroit doesn't need to come up with half his salary, he was on 'entry waivers,' not re-entry waivers, so the rule is like regular waivers (acquiring team pays in full). Gotta love the small distinctions. :)

He thinks he does, told the Isles he won't report. They can now re-waive him or let him sit out the season. And Detroit doesn't need to come up with half his salary, he was on 'entry waivers,' not re-entry waivers, so the rule is like regular waivers (acquiring team pays in full). Gotta love the small distinctions. :)

Somebody let you in the door, and now you can choose who you want to play for? Have a nice thaw in Leningrad.

On the shootout goal by Tanguay on Luongo, I agree with the ruling. I mean the puck hit him and got caught in his pad. His entire pad was on the other side of the line. If it was a no goal, I would have understood, but the puck, and the entire goalie crossed teh line. Good goal.

On the shootout goal by Tanguay on Luongo, I agree with the ruling. I mean the puck hit him and got caught in his pad. His entire pad was on the other side of the line. If it was a no goal, I would have understood, but the puck, and the entire goalie crossed teh line. Good goal.

I just wonder if the video judges arrived at the same conclusion that you did by the same reasoning. I completely agree that logically, that was a goal, but if they didn't actually see the puck in the net, how can they overturn the on-ice call?

I just wonder if the video judges arrived at the same conclusion that you did by the same reasoning. I completely agree that logically, that was a goal, but if they didn't actually see the puck in the net, how can they overturn the on-ice call?

I guess that seing that the puck is not outside of the net, then it is kind of an evidence that it is in the net...

Edited by JoeLassister

I guess that seing that the puck is not outside of the net, then it is kind of an evidence that it is in the net...

I agree, but I don't think it's conclusive evidence, which it is required to be.