GDT: Game 1, Habs vs Bruins

dlbalr

I was really impressed with Gomez last night. His grit, determination, speed and incredible passing reminds me of why he was offered so much money in the first place.

Plex was dangerous offensively, a stone wall defensively and was agitating the #@$!% out of everyone. Outstanding job.

Price was obviously incredible.

Most of the second period had me near cardiac arrest! Lots of action with only a couple of really close calls but I don't like when Chara gets so many big bomb point shots.

AK was a hitting machine and some of his checks were hard as hell. I hope his foot/ankle is okay.

Solid team effort by everyone.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

30 seconds to go, trailing 2-0 and Thornton is on the ice.

Anyone else lost some respect for Claude Julien tonight ?

oh ya.. it was message time... I hope those Bears remain asleep. :1gohabs:

Yo do realize that Chara is almost 12 inches taller and weighs about 80 pounds more then Pleks...

Oh right, sorry. Pleks is completely absolved of wrongdoing because Chara is bigger. Pleks didn't grab his leg... Chara's leg forced itself on Pleks because of it's dominating size.

I took my blinders off for a few minutes. Won't happen again!

I thought that Pleks grabbing Chara's leg was an interesting hockey play.

Seriously though, it seems that frustration is an easily exploitable trait in the Bruins that the Habs would do well keep picking away at.

I think you guys are looking way too much into events. Thronton on the ice in the end> Who carex, he didn't do anything, maybe he earned the ice time by playing well.

Pleks grabbed Chara's leg. big deal, those battles happen in every game.

They played really well in the 1st and 3rd. Sat back too much in the 2nd.

They'll need more on the offensive end for sure, 20 shots a gmae won't cut it over 7 games. A few shakey passing plays, they didn't get the puck deep several times when they had the chance and created soem chances the other way. Small things to change.

Don't rest on 1 win, come out flying and steal another one on Saturday. Alot of teams who take home ice away throw it away by not showing up after that.

The Bruins are frustrated because the Canadiens have mastered the most frustrating style to play against. They let you control the puck but don't let you get many first rate chances. And when they do, they have an elite goalie to save them. I just hope they have a different game plan for when they don't get the first goal.

On CJAD they were afraid that Pleks may have awakened the bear in a 2-0 game. We'll see. I can see the Goons being much more physical and targeting Subban, Pleks and Gionta. I just hope that the damn league instructs its referees to keep order and not allow things to get out of hand. I was expecting the Goon squad out for them when the habs got the second goal late in the game. I don't have much respect for the bruins or their coach.

Here's the replay:

The Bruins are frustrated because the Canadiens have mastered the most frustrating style to play against. They let you control the puck but don't let you get many first rate chances. And when they do, they have an elite goalie to save them. I just hope they have a different game plan for when they don't get the first goal.

I didn't find it that stressful that the Bruins were content with controlling the perimeter.

Olivier at En attendant les Nordiques had the chances at 19-15 for the Bruins. Perfect road game and a Devils special.

http://enattendantlesnordiques.blogspot.com/2011/04/30131-montreal-2-boston-0.html

I am quickly becoming a fan of James Murphy on ESPN.com Boston.

All joking a side, Plekanec, Price and the Canadiens played the perfect road game Thursday with a combination of timely saves and positional goaltending from Price and a defensive system that kept the majority of the Bruins' shots to the peripheral.

The Bruins might have put 31 shots on net, but their scoring chances were limited. When they got chances, Price shut the door. That was no more evident than in the second period, when the Bruins outshot the Habs 18-6.

The guy is capable of following a series without his homer glasses on. His series preview was much of the same. Level headed analysis.

Edited by Wamsley01

Great WIN!!!

I expect better performances in Game 2 from a few Habs... Eller looked a bit nervous, Cammy just missed getting a couple good chances off his stick, and Pouliot had some favorable matchups that I think he'll exploit.

Great game though. Price was awesome, Gomez was the best player on the ice, and PK Subban is just incredible.

Big game on Saturday.. score 1st and it could take the wind right out of the Bruins sails.

GO HABS GO!

Here's the replay:

wow - thanks for posting! The play didn't look at all like the way CJAD described it. It sounded like Pleks initiated the whole play with a cheap shot.

ESPN actually should a few of the highlights from the game and I was really surprised by Gomez - that first setup to Gionta was great and he also did a great job stripping that ape Lucic of the puck. There is no way Gionta should have scored on that shot - but hey, we'll take it <_< I hope Gomer can keep it up. But it really sounded like a solid team effort with everyone with the possibly the exception of Eller playing a great game. It was Eller's first playoff game, so we can cut him some slack, but I hope the team puts forth the same effort on Saterday.

I've got a 6 hour drive to Phoenix today and fly back home tomorrow - as long as i don't get held up too long at customs, I should be able to make it home for the game.

Edited by hab29RETIRED

Well that didn't take long; 1 game, 1 player calling out Subban. I think I'll hold off from posting this on the main site but I'll note it here anyways.

http://www.nesn.com/...defenseman.html

I'm really starting to enjoy reading these Boston call outs after they lose and before big games.

The comments section below that article and in the linking pages are gold.

Your team is full of divers...well your team is full of goons. Hahahaha.

I love this time of year.

Edited by BrenDittero

I'm really starting to enjoy reading these Boston call outs after they lose and before big games.

The comments section below that article and in the linking pages are gold.

Your team is full of divers...well your team is full of goons. Hahahaha.

I love this time of year.

There's another one on that site (NESN) calling out a Hab fan for excessively celebrating in front of a little kid, they call it taunting. I didn't watch the clip myself so I can't speak to the validity of the assessment but you can tell the purpose of the post was to give Boston fans a chance to gripe about the Habs...and Canada in some cases.

Well that didn't take long; 1 game, 1 player calling out Subban. I think I'll hold off from posting this on the main site but I'll note it here anyways.

That is weak. You sit beside Brad Marchand and you don't like Subban because he dove?

You sit beside Chara who almost killed a guy and you don't like Subban because he dove?

Pouliot punched you in the face and knocked you on your ass and not a bad word?

Athletes are fools. Provide the soundbyte and look like an idiot. You just gave the reporter exactly what he wanted when he brought up Subban.

The Bruins assaulted numerous Habs and not a f@#king word. There is nothing I want more than to watch these idiots head down shaking hands as another season ends.

There's another one on that site (NESN) calling out a Hab fan for excessively celebrating in front of a little kid, they call it taunting. I didn't watch the clip myself so I can't speak to the validity of the assessment but you can tell the purpose of the post was to give Boston fans a chance to gripe about the Habs...and Canada in some cases.

It is embarrassing. Take it like a man. You lost Game 1. On to the next one.

There's another one on that site (NESN) calling out a Hab fan for excessively celebrating in front of a little kid, they call it taunting. I didn't watch the clip myself so I can't speak to the validity of the assessment but you can tell the purpose of the post was to give Boston fans a chance to gripe about the Habs...and Canada in some games.

Boston's really taking that one loss hard. They are aware that it takes 4 wins to eliminate a team from the playoffs right?

I like that a ridiculous "news" item like this isn't put on the main site. It's a fun and interesting addition to a thread though.

Stay classy Habsworld.

Edited by BrenDittero

I'm not getting ahead of myself, but I am so happy today, my co-workers are pissed at me haha...they jsut happen to be Oilers and Avs fans but still haha. We were sitting around discussing how Marchaund can come out and blatently say "I aim to get under others skin" and get nothing said about him, but PK doesn't say boo in the media and is the devil. I'm beginning to wonder, if PK was a jerk to the media about players and actually said "hey I wanna take out their best players, get them off their game, really antagonize them", if the media would back off...as strange as it sounds.

I like that a ridiculous "news" item like this isn't be put on the main site. It's a fun and interesting addition to a thread though.

Stay classy Habsworld.

When there's all sorts of articles out there, it's a lot easier for me (or others posting links) to be a little more selective with what goes on there. Well, that, and I typically post the links from sites that generate the most interest from readers, not sure a Subban bashing piece would have been too popular.

For anyone curious, this is the clip they were talking about on NESN:

Not sure the little kid even noticed what was going on behind him.

Here's the replay:

Thanks for the replay, I'm horrible at finding these on Youtube. The video shows Chara was already on the way down on top of Plekanec before Plekanec's arm got near his leg. Also I saw 2 Boston penalties that weren't called, that in my opinion should have been.

One was an interference penalty on Gionta I believe it was, Horton dumped him when the puck was 4 feet one side of him, that wasn't called, but a couple of shifts later Spacek gets called for a lesser interference play on Lucic.

The other was when Subban crosschecked Horton in the back, which happens so often it's deemed "acceptable" to a certain extent, then Horton turn around grits his teeth and crosschecks Subban 5 times in a row without a call. From watching a whole lot of hockey, I know in other situations Horton is called for that, no doubt in my mind, especially for excessive retaliation. Good on Subban for not going back after him, but these are the kind of calls I believe the refs need to call, especially when one team gets called for it and the other doesn't.

Thanks for the replay, I'm horrible at finding these on Youtube. The video shows Chara was already on the way down on top of Plekanec before Plekanec's arm got near his leg. Also I saw 2 Boston penalties that weren't called, that in my opinion should have been.

One was an interference penalty on Gionta I believe it was, Horton dumped him when the puck was 4 feet one side of him, that wasn't called, but a couple of shifts later Spacek gets called for a lesser interference play on Lucic.

The other was when Subban crosschecked Horton in the back, which happens so often it's deemed "acceptable" to a certain extent, then Horton turn around grits his teeth and crosschecks Subban 5 times in a row without a call. From watching a whole lot of hockey, I know in other situations Horton is called for that, no doubt in my mind, especially for excessive retaliation. Good on Subban for not going back after him, but these are the kind of calls I believe the refs need to call, especially when one team gets called for it and the other doesn't.

+1

For anyone curious, this is the clip they were talking about on NESN:

Not sure the little kid even noticed what was going on behind him.

ROFL!

I must say that that is the best clip I've seen in a long time.

Maybe we just witnessed the conversion of a young booin' boy to a 'FULLY' matured Habs fanatic... gawd I love 'ockey.