GDT: Habs vs Bruins, Game 5

dlbalr

Just because it was one goal doesn't mean Boston "barely won". My worry is that was an exceptional game from Price, and we couldn't win it. Really, it was another squandered opportunity. Not sure that Price can put in two more games like that.

Worse, Des may not play in the next game and I have given up hope that Gomez will break out.

Maybe we will get a new playoff hero on Tuesday, with some unlikely contribution. If so, please hurry.

Still wish we were playing Philly... Price vs Leighton/Boucher... QED

Actually, yes it does.

It took nearly a half hour of overtime for Boston to win that game. I don't think we were ever in a spot where we couldn't win it. That was not a 4-1 game or a 5-2 game.

It was 1-1 and went into double overtime. There were big saves on both sides. I don't think that just because Gionta didn't bury that great chance he had at the end that the Habs were outplayed in anyway.

Horton's goal was simply the odds catching up to Montreal, It just as easily could have happened to Boston.

That it didn't certainly sucks but is not the end of the world.

All that to say, had the stars aligned on any of the chances Montreal had we'd be singing a very different tune right now.

There are still 2 games left to go so why wave the white flag now? Is it really that impossible that Montreal could win on Tuesday and again on Wednesday?

I don't understand all this fear and negativity surrounding game 6. No one thought the Habs would sweep right? Well if that's the case, then logically, this was always going to be a 5 - 7 game series.

And that's exactly where we are at.

If we lose fine. It wasn't in the cards and I hope that Montreal ( with a healthy lineup ) make another great run next year.

But if we win this series....I can just imagine that all of the fearful people will turn tail and wave the Habs flag right into round two. Only to be fearful once again because we are playing team X.

Actually I'm surprised that anyone is still watching hockey, wasn't there a group who said they were never watching NHL games again after Patches got hit?

And imagine that....he we are talking about the Habs in the playoffs.

Here's a little reality check - the series is 3-2. Montreal is still very much in it.

Lighten up, have a beer and enjoy the rest of this series. It's been the best hockey of 2010 / 2011.

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think you can underestimate the effects of blowing leads and opportunities on a series. Its not just two close games that could go either way. One was a come from behind victory on the habs. The other was a stunning performance by Price.

I won't be surprised if we get a game 7 since I hope the Habs come out firing at home. If our PP wakes up the odds will improve, but they have to play a full 60 minutes, which will be tough given how banged up the team is. If we are lucky, Des isn't that badly hurt and can play game 6. I liked the look of him on the wing with Gomez.

The smart money favours Boston to win the series even if it were an even split, if only because of the injury situation. Wiz is hurt. DD is hurt. The former, especially, is extremely bad news for us, given his integral role on our blueline. Then there's the issue of Gill's insane overuse - he's excelled, but he can't keep this up, can he?? - and Hammer and Spatches, both of whom have looked pretty gassed the last few games.

The Brutes, meanwhile, appear to be what Red Fisher always referred to as 'disgustingly healthy,' notwithstanding Savard.

The psychology of the last two losses is harder to figure. Yes, it could be tough to overcome. Or it could be as BrenDittero says - the Habs just need the breaks to start bending their way and they'll be full steam ahead. It's the aforementioned physical issues that worry me the most.

Having said all that, yes, the series is still close and anyone expecting the Habs to just roll over doesn't have a very good read on this hockey club. A lot of the pessimism is founded on the dismal first two periods from last night, overlooking that the Habs arguably had the better of the play after that.

K guys I'm up next for the GDT, and my mojo hasn't been working, not even cool flashy flash flip jersey for the lineups! Not even 3 musical selections? I need some advice to mojo up the game 6 GDT.

Brendittero speaks the truth.

All we need is a 2 game win streak and we're good.

Its great hockey and almost too much to take at times, my heart is beating so fast I almost hyperventilate just watching these games.

Don't count us out just yet.

The hockey gods work in very mysterious ways...

K guys I'm up next for the GDT, and my mojo hasn't been working, not even cool flashy flash flip jersey for the lineups! Not even 3 musical selections? I need some advice to mojo up the game 6 GDT.

Since the common wisdom is that the Habs just need to more or less stay the course since they've had a chance in every game, why not just stick with the status quo, a standard GDT. Maybe dress it up with a special dancing banana (there are plenty to choose from) and bring in some winning highlights. That's what I'd be doing if I was in charge of the next GDT.

Yes folks we are down 3-2now,I can remember after game 2 we said sweep,sadly we were wrong,the problem is Thomas outplays price every game, I'm sorry bostons just better than us

Interesting...I've never heard a Habs fan say Thomas was better than Price.

I'm gonna call BS, this isn't BruinsWorld. It would work out better for you to post that garbage here:

http://hfboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15

See you in game 7 Bruins Suck.

Interesting...I've never heard a Habs fan say Thomas was better than Price.

I'm gonna call BS, this isn't BruinsWorld. It would work out better for you to post that garbage here:

http://hfboards.com/...isplay.php?f=15

See you in game 7 Bruins Suck.

I could see a case being made for Games 3 and 4 where Price had a couple of gaffes and soft goals but so too did Thomas so I wouldn't make that case. In Game 5, no goalie outplayed the other, both were on top of their games.

Fortunately, a goalie is only one member of a team, there are 18 other skaters that dress for each game. Even if you concede that Thomas is outplaying Price (I wouldn't but if he does, okay), that alone doesn't mean one team is better than the other.

Honestly, I was nowhere near as upset after this loss as I was in Game 4, something told me this was coming. However, I still have a lot of confidence in this team and think that at the very least they can force a Game 7. From there, I'm covered either way; either my Boston in 7 prediction proves right or I'm happily proven wrong with a Montreal victory. Double OT losses can be demoralizing but this is still more or less the same team that was 6-1 when facing elimination last season. They know how to come through in the clutch and not to let this get them down too much. It's far from over yet...I hope.

I could see a case being made for Games 3 and 4 where Price had a couple of gaffes and soft goals but so too did Thomas so I wouldn't make that case. In Game 5, no goalie outplayed the other, both were on top of their games.

Fortunately, a goalie is only one member of a team, there are 18 other skaters that dress for each game. Even if you concede that Thomas is outplaying Price (I wouldn't but if he does, okay), that alone doesn't mean one team is better than the other.

Honestly, I was nowhere near as upset after this loss as I was in Game 4, something told me this was coming. However, I still have a lot of confidence in this team and think that at the very least they can force a Game 7. From there, I'm covered either way; either my Boston in 7 prediction proves right or I'm happily proven wrong with a Montreal victory. Double OT losses can be demoralizing but this is still more or less the same team that was 6-1 when facing elimination last season. They know how to come through in the clutch and not to let this get them down too much. It's far from over yet...I hope.

Anybody who thinks the Bruins are decisively better are out of their mind, same with Price/Thomas.

Last game Thomas found himself in the corner three separate times with a wide open net and the Habs failed to beat the Bruins covering his ass.

Thomas made the highlight reel save, to me that sums up his career with the Bruins. The same thing happened in Game 3. The guy single handedly allows the Habs back in the game with a pair of horrific goals and makes a great save on Kostitsyn and the spin becomes makes the "big saves in the big moments".

THis series is dead even. Scoring chances are 91-89 for the Bruins through 5 games (83-79 at even strength)

http://enattendantlesnordiques.blogspot.com/

The shots are 177-165 for the Bruins and the score is 12-12.

I believe the Bruins have had the better chances, but not significantly better.

Bounces/health will likely determine the winner in a matchup this even.

Edited by Wamsley01

Actually, yes it does.

It took nearly a half hour of overtime for Boston to win that game. I don't think we were ever in a spot where we couldn't win it. That was not a 4-1 game or a 5-2 game.

It was 1-1 and went into double overtime. There were big saves on both sides. I don't think that just because Gionta didn't bury that great chance he had at the end that the Habs were outplayed in anyway.

Horton's goal was simply the odds catching up to Montreal, It just as easily could have happened to Boston.

That it didn't certainly sucks but is not the end of the world.

All that to say, had the stars aligned on any of the chances Montreal had we'd be singing a very different tune right now.

There are still 2 games left to go so why wave the white flag now? Is it really that impossible that Montreal could win on Tuesday and again on Wednesday?

I don't understand all this fear and negativity surrounding game 6. No one thought the Habs would sweep right? Well if that's the case, then logically, this was always going to be a 5 - 7 game series.

And that's exactly where we are at.

If we lose fine. It wasn't in the cards and I hope that Montreal ( with a healthy lineup ) make another great run next year.

But if we win this series....I can just imagine that all of the fearful people will turn tail and wave the Habs flag right into round two. Only to be fearful once again because we are playing team X.

Actually I'm surprised that anyone is still watching hockey, wasn't there a group who said they were never watching NHL games again after Patches got hit?

And imagine that....he we are talking about the Habs in the playoffs.

Here's a little reality check - the series is 3-2. Montreal is still very much in it.

Lighten up, have a beer and enjoy the rest of this series. It's been the best hockey of 2010 / 2011.

Very good post Ben. I completely agree with this. I am not angry at Gauthier or Martin or any individual player. It's been fun watching this series. Probably the most exciting series I've watched in years. Every single game could go either way. I will be cheering hard in game six and if the outcome is not what I hope for, so be it, My biggest thing is always to see the team play well and fight fo wins. If they do that, and luck is not on their side, there is no sense screaming about Gomez or Pouliot. I have never seen a team that doesn't have a player who is playing poorly. With Gomez salary it's a lot to stomache, but it is a game. I think I will enjoy it while it is here, and then look forward to next year.

Edited by BCHabnut

The habs have 2 p[roblems. One of them isn't Price. he has given up 12 goals in 5 games. Look up the numbers for all the other temas goalies after 5 games and see where Price is.

Problem 1 is they can't finish, this has plagued them all year.

Problem 2 is they are really soft in front of Proce, they just don't clear the net or tie up players in front of the net as well as the Bruins. Other than that i have no complaints.

:1gohabs: Boston was very lucky not to lose the other night. Two fluke stops... Ryder and Chara's leg.

We are a good team that can play very , very well at times. May tomorrow be one of them.

Cheers

Very good post Ben. I completely agree with this. I am not angry at Gauthier or Martin or any individual player. It's been fun watching this series. Probably the most exciting series I've watched in years. Every single game could go either way. I will be cheering hard in game six and if the outcome is not what I hope for, so be it, My biggest thing is always to see the team play well and fight fo wins. If they do that, and luck is not on their side, there is no sense screaming about Gomez or Pouliot. I have never seen a team that doesn't have a player who is playing poorly. With Gomez salary it's a lot to stomache, but it is a game. I think I will enjoy it while it is here, and then look forward to next year.

I have an explanation for the fear and negativity. It is caused by fear and negativity! :rolleyes::rastapop:

Anybody who thinks the Bruins are decisively better are out of their mind, same with Price/Thomas.

Last game Thomas found himself in the corner three separate times with a wide open net and the Habs failed to beat the Bruins covering his ass.

Like, seriously, on the next Thomas fluke : A F****ING SLAPSHOT !!!!!!! Make these guys think twice about their new goaltending career !!!

The hit count is how many times you hit, not how much damage you do. Our D is being bashed into next week. This causes turn overs, etc. They dump the puck as soon as they get it. Our guys bounce off their D. We have made some nice hits, but not enough to do any real damage.

Chara got hurt falling on Des and getting a skate in the gut. I don't see their D looking exhausted.

In the goal department, their big forwards are in front of Price far more often then ours are in front of Thomas. They big D have been keeping our forwards to the outside.

This advantage adds up over 4 to 7 games.

I am not saying we have to have big, slow players, but we need a few bigger guys mixed in. Pacs would even be an improvement. As for their lack of speed, they don't seem to have any trouble going around our slow D. How many times last night did a guy go right in on Price. Our D is old and hurting and it shows as the games wear on.

I think you misunderstood my meaning - I was saying that I have seen just as many Bruins get bashed and slammed as Habs. I have not seen our dmen getting hit hard very often either - they are fairly big fellas who can hold their own.

The goals are 12-12, no advantage there to add up.

Sure, Patches, Markov, Gorges would help, but we have a great chance to win this as is.

I think you may be a glass half empty kinda person, while I am usually glass half full.

Cheers to a win tonight!

Maybe I can slap one together in a couple of hours if you dont mind

Sure, give it a whirl. In the meantime, we can keep using this for any pre-game stuff.

Speaking of which, Desharnais out, Weber in, Wisniewski probable.