Who do you re-sign?

Trizzak

Here's on offseason thread that I hope will generate some good discussion. IIT we opine on re-signing players - who is worth coming back and who is worth letting go. No trade discussion, no outside UFA replacements named... just who should come back of those that could go.

Expiring contracts (some RFA, some UFA):

Andrei Kostitsyn

Benoit Pouliot

Max Pacioretty

Ryan White

Jeff Halpern

David Desharnais

Tom Pyatt

Mathieu Darche

Andrei Markov

Roman Hamrlik

James Wisniewski

Brent Sopel

Hal Gill

Josh Gorges

Yannick Weber

Paul Mara

Alexandre Picard

Alex Auld

Reply and bold your choices.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's on offseason thread that I hope will generate some good discussion. IIT we opine on re-signing players - who is worth coming back and who is worth letting go. No trade discussion, no outside UFA replacements named... just who should come back of those that could go.

Andrei Kostitsyn

Benoit Pouliot (sign and trade)

Max Pacioretty

Ryan White

Jeff Halpern

David Desharnais

Tom Pyatt

Mathieu Darche

Andrei Markov

Roman Hamrlik

James Wisniewski

Brent Sopel

Hal Gill

Josh Gorges

Yannick Weber

Paul Mara

Alexandre Picard

Alex Auld

Andrei Kostitsyn

Benoit Pouliot

Max Pacioretty

Ryan White

Jeff Halpern

David Desharnais

Tom Pyatt

Mathieu Darche

Andrei Markov

Roman Hamrlik

James Wisniewski

Brent Sopel

Hal Gill

Josh Gorges

Yannick Weber

Paul Mara

Alexandre Picard

Alex Auld

Pouliot is a notable omission because I just don't think he fits the team. We saw Eller "get it" in the playoffs... Pouliot didn't.

Andrei Kostitsyn

Benoit Pouliot

Max Pacioretty

Ryan White

Jeff Halpern

David Desharnais

Tom Pyatt

Mathieu Darche

Andrei Markov

Roman Hamrlik

James Wisniewski

Brent Sopel

Hal Gill

Josh Gorges

Yannick Weber

Paul Mara

Alexandre Picard

Alex Auld

Edited by BCHabnut

Andrei Kostitsyn

Benoit Pouliot

Max Pacioretty

Ryan White

Jeff Halpern

David Desharnais

Tom Pyatt

Mathieu Darche

Andrei Markov

Roman Hamrlik

James Wisniewski

Brent Sopel

Hal Gill

Josh Gorges

Yannick Weber

Paul Mara

Alexandre Picard

Alex Auld

Bold = yesses

Italic = maybes

Andrei Kostitsyn

Benoit Pouliot

Max Pacioretty

Ryan White

Jeff Halpern

David Desharnais

Tom Pyatt

Mathieu Darche

Andrei Markov

Roman Hamrlik

James Wisniewski

Brent Sopel

Hal Gill

Josh Gorges

Yannick Weber

Paul Mara

Alexandre Picard

Alex Auld

Andrei Kostitsyn

Benoit Pouliot

Max Pacioretty

Ryan White

Jeff Halpern

David Desharnais

Tom Pyatt

Mathieu Darche

Andrei Markov

Roman Hamrlik

James Wisniewski

Brent Sopel

Hal Gill

Josh Gorges

Yannick Weber

Paul Mara

Alexandre Picard

Alex Auld

Andrei Kostitsyn

Benoit Pouliot

Max Pacioretty

Ryan White

Jeff Halpern

David Desharnais

Tom Pyatt

Mathieu Darche

Andrei Markov

Roman Hamrlik--if he takes a big pay cut

James Wisniewski

Brent Sopel

Hal Gill

Josh Gorges

Yannick Weber--forward/defence swing man

Paul Mara

Alexandre Picard

Alex Auld

Andrei Kostitsyn do not overpay.

Benoit Pouliot maybe, if he adds 15 pounds or muscle, if not, no thanks, to soft for his size.

Max Pacioretty

Ryan White

Jeff Halpern

David Desharnais

Tom Pyatt - maybe if he's dirt cheap, just another small, soft player on a small soft team.

Mathieu Darche

Andrei Markov - cheap, if not, no thanks.

Roman Hamrlik

James Wisniewski maybe, price needs to be right, he or weber, they are the same player, no need for both

Brent Sopel

Hal Gill

Josh Gorges if the price is right and his knee is ok

Yannick Weber

Paul Mara

Alexandre Picard

Alex Auld

Andrei Kostitsyn

Benoit Pouliot

Max Pacioretty

Ryan White

Jeff Halpern

David Desharnais

Tom Pyatt

Mathieu Darche

Andrei Markov

Roman Hamrlik

James Wisniewski

Brent Sopel

Hal Gill

Josh Gorges

Yannick Weber

Paul Mara

Alexandre Picard

Alex Auld

I'm sorry, but I wish good luck to A.K. elsewhere. Love his potential and sudden bursts of life, but we need players that will become warriors shift after shift in the playoffs, not spectators.

Same for Pouliot. He's a great guy, but too risky defensively.

Wiz is great too, but a mental lapses machine. Markov is the full package. Very solid defensively and a counterattack magician. Cammy will love having him back on the PP. Subban-Markov :o

This sounds as good a time as ever to announce an offseason series I'll be running between now and the draft, taking an individual look at most of the players on this list and noting the pros and cons of keeping them/letting them go. So I'll withhold my picks until that time. I'll probably kick the series off in a couple of weeks.

This sounds as good a time as ever to announce an offseason series I'll be running between now and the draft, taking an individual look at most of the players on this list and noting the pros and cons of keeping them/letting them go. So I'll withhold my picks until that time. I'll probably kick the series off in a couple of weeks.

This thread begs the question "who do you let go?" Let me be first to put GOMEZ's name at top of that list. I really didn't see the player that was described yesterday. He gives the puck to the opposition more often than he gives it to his own players. GET RID OF HIM!

This thread begs the question "who do you let go?" Let me be first to put GOMEZ's name at top of that list. I really didn't see the player that was described yesterday. He gives the puck to the opposition more often than he gives it to his own players. GET RID OF HIM!

Unfortunately we are stuck with his contract for still a long time. Can't believe we had to give a bluechip prospect and a young gun for him. At least we got Pyatt in that trade. Oh yeah, and we were able to land Gionta and Cammalleri. Wow, big deal. Bad timing to have money to spend.

That said we don't have the choice to keep them. We have to upgrade Moen and A.K. on the top 2 lines. We can't go far with that current setup, we all know it. Taking for granted that Max Pax will start on Gomez's line, we need to find a huge upgrade on A.K. That's the only thing we can do. None of the remaining top 6 are tradable.

Unfortunately we are stuck with his contract for still a long time. Can't believe we had to give a bluechip prospect and a young gun for him. At least we got Pyatt in that trade. Oh yeah, and we were able to land Gionta and Cammalleri. Wow, big deal. Bad timing to have money to spend.

That said we don't have the choice to keep them. We have to upgrade Moen and A.K. on the top 2 lines. We can't go far with that current setup, we all know it. Taking for granted that Max Pax will start on Gomez's line, we need to find a huge upgrade on A.K. That's the only thing we can do. None of the remaining top 6 are tradable.

I hate this 'we're stuck with him' logic. Not that the argument is unsound. But again, I look to the Chicagos and Philadelphias - teams that don't give a rat's ass about anything except winning. Worse comes to worst, you bury Gomer Pyle's contract in the minors and the Molson's bottom line be damned.

However, I don't think he's completely unmoveable. There were rumours of Pheonix being interested at the deadline. Some cap-floor-challenged team might look at his speed and passing and think that, freed of JM's system, this guy could help. Gauthier should be turning every stone to see if it can be made to happen.

I hate this 'we're stuck with him' logic. Not that the argument is unsound. But again, I look to the Chicagos and Philadelphias - teams that don't give a rat's ass about anything except winning. Worse comes to worst, you bury Gomer Pyle's contract in the minors and the Molson's bottom line be damned.

However, I don't think he's completely unmoveable. There were rumours of Pheonix being interested at the deadline. Some cap-floor-challenged team might look at his speed and passing and think that, freed of JM's system, this guy could help. Gauthier should be turning every stone to see if it can be made to happen.

It is a bet. Molson knows how close he was of getting to the 2nd round and reap the benefit$$. Burying Gomez's contract (8M), replacing him with 8M of better stock, that's a 16M investment. Now does that 16M investment gets you further in the playoff where you'll be able to make your money back? It's a pretty huge contract to bury. And probably not worth it.

It is a bet. Molson knows how close he was of getting to the 2nd round and reap the benefit$$. Burying Gomez's contract (8M), replacing him with 8M of better stock, that's a 16M investment. Now does that 16M investment gets you further in the playoff where you'll be able to make your money back? It's a pretty huge contract to bury. And probably not worth it.

I correct myself.. it's an additional 8M investment, not 16. But still, you have to get to the 3rd round at least to get return on it

I can almost guarantee this. Gomez will be around for one more year. His cap hit savings for a team looking to reach the cap floor are not good enough. Next year, there will be a savings and could see him go somewhere.

One of Markov or Wiz will be signed. Not both. One of Hammer or Gill will be signed. Not both.

I am in favour of signing Pyatt. I love teams with shutdown lines, and while I know that we don't have a shutdown centre, having Moen and Pyatt on a line with a Paullson, Madden, Malhotra type would be huge. Just look at the gains the Canucks had during the season by freeing Kessler from all of the defensive duties, contrasted with his post season performance when drawing regular duties against Toews. Yes, he is playing well, but think of how well he would do without those minutes. I think Halpern could very well be that guy, but he needs to stay on the line and not have to move up all the time. The same can be said for Moen and Darche. They are not top sixers, but due to lack of top six depth and size on wing, they are being moved up too much and are miss cast.

While many want to see Wiz signed, I would much rather see that money go toward an impact top sixer. I think the depth at defense will look a little better just with a healthy roster

Gio/Gomez/Patch

Impact guy/Plek/Cammie

Kosty/Eller/Desharnais (not ideal because Desharnais is a good centre)

Moen/Halpern/Pyatt

Darche

White

Markov/Gorges

Hammer or Gill/Subban (I know he is great on the PK, but I preffer Hammer for a few years because of versatility)

Yemilin??? insert signed denseman here/Weber

Spacek

Edited by BCHabnut

Andrei Kostitsyn

Benoit Pouliot

Max Pacioretty

Ryan White

Jeff Halpern

David Desharnais

Tom Pyatt

Mathieu Darche

Andrei Markov

Roman Hamrlik

James Wisniewski

Brent Sopel

Hal Gill

Josh Gorges

Yannick Weber

Paul Mara

Alexandre Picard

Alex Auld

IN case you guys didn't know. I just read in LaPresse that Eller played games 6 and 7 with a dislocated shoulder! Pretty damn impressive!

Andrei Kostitsyn-- too good a talent to let go now

Benoit Pouliot-- one last chance

Max Pacioretty- no brainer

Ryan White-- Abrasive and cheap

Jeff Halpern

David Desharnais-cheap and effective

Tom Pyatt--ditto

Mathieu Darche- ditto

Andrei Markov-- hopefully some hometown discount

Roman Hamrlik-- only with a big pay cut, but he is great on 3rd pair and can step up when needed

James Wisniewski-- not sure if it is possible, but hopefully he wants to settle in mtl and take term over dollars.. yeh, I know, but i can dream

Brent Sopel- would love to keep him, but how do you afford, let alone keep happy 8 nhl defensemen

Hal Gill-- great penality killer, great balance for PK

Josh Gorges-- he's earned it

Yannick Weber-- both forward and defence, timely goals, what more do you want?

Paul Mara

Alexandre Picard

Alex Auld

I think that the Wiz will probably go. I see our defence in no particular order:

Subban, markov, Hamrlik, Gill, Gorges, Spachek, Weber

Easier to peg out when you specify which player is RFA vs UFA (as I'd fathom most RFAs will be retained)

Andrei Kostitsyn RFA

Benoit Pouliot RFA

Max Pacioretty RFA

Ryan White RFA

Jeff Halpern UFA

David Desharnais RFA

Tom Pyatt RFA

Mathieu Darche UFA

Andrei Markov UFA

Roman Hamrlik UFA

James Wisniewski UFA

Brent Sopel UFA

Hal Gill UFA

Josh Gorges RFA

Yannick Weber RFA

Paul Mara UFA

Alexandre Picard RFA

Alex Auld UFA

Of the RFAs, I see Picard being let go. Of the UFAs, I foresee Darche, Markov and Gill returning.

I can almost guarantee this. Gomez will be around for one more year. His cap hit savings for a team looking to reach the cap floor are not good enough. Next year, there will be a savings and could see him go somewhere.

One of Markov or Wiz will be signed. Not both. One of Hammer or Gill will be signed. Not both.

I am in favour of signing Pyatt. I love teams with shutdown lines, and while I know that we don't have a shutdown centre, having Moen and Pyatt on a line with a Paullson, Madden, Malhotra type would be huge. Just look at the gains the Canucks had during the season by freeing Kessler from all of the defensive duties, contrasted with his post season performance when drawing regular duties against Toews. Yes, he is playing well, but think of how well he would do without those minutes. I think Halpern could very well be that guy, but he needs to stay on the line and not have to move up all the time. The same can be said for Moen and Darche. They are not top sixers, but due to lack of top six depth and size on wing, they are being moved up too much and are miss cast.

While many want to see Wiz signed, I would much rather see that money go toward an impact top sixer. I think the depth at defense will look a little better just with a healthy roster

Gio/Gomez/Patch

Impact guy/Plek/Cammie

Kosty/Eller/Desharnais (not ideal because Desharnais is a good centre)

Moen/Halpern/Pyatt

Darche

White

Markov/Gorges

Hammer or Gill/Subban (I know he is great on the PK, but I preffer Hammer for a few years because of versatility)

Yemilin??? insert signed denseman here/Weber

Spacek

Interesting. But I think this team is built from the net out, and that changing that philosophy would be unwise. Beyond that, it has always been my belief that championships are most often won from the back end (c.f. Chicago last season) - the first thing I look at when assessing a team is the blueline. So my preference is to invest in the absolute best blueline we can; you're better off crossing your fingers on Pacioretty or Kostitsyn than on the patchy blueline you propose.

Brian might know this, but do we have to offer Picard a one-way contract on his qualifying offer? If we do, I could see us walking from him. If we can give him a two-way deal on the QO, then I see no reason not to sign him.

Brian might know this, but do we have to offer Picard a one-way contract on his qualifying offer? If we do, I could see us walking from him. If we can give him a two-way deal on the QO, then I see no reason not to sign him.

I'm glad I looked this up as my gut feeling said it has to be 1-way. From my interpretation of the CBA though, I don't think it needs to be. There are 3 criteria that needs to be met for a 1-way offer (or at least that's how I read it):

- 180 NHL GP over the last 3 years (Picard is at 144),

- 60 NHL GP in the previous year (Picard played 43), and

- Hasn't cleared waivers during the season including the 12 days prior to the start of the year (the preseason waiver period) (Picard hits this one as he never was waived)

Based on that, I'd say they can give him a two-way qualifying offer. The QO would be for $660,000 in the NHL with a minimum AHL salary of $105,000 (equal to this year).

I'm glad I looked this up as my gut feeling said it has to be 1-way. From my interpretation of the CBA though, I don't think it needs to be. There are 3 criteria that needs to be met for a 1-way offer (or at least that's how I read it):

- 180 NHL GP over the last 3 years (Picard is at 144),

- 60 NHL GP in the previous year (Picard played 43), and

- Hasn't cleared waivers during the season including the 12 days prior to the start of the year (the preseason waiver period) (Picard hits this one as he never was waived)

Based on that, I'd say they can give him a two-way qualifying offer. The QO would be for $660,000 in the NHL with a minimum AHL salary of $105,000 (equal to this year).

Then give him a QO. No harm in it, gives the team some depth in case of early season injuries. He can reject it and sign in Russia if he wants, or take his chances on another Habs tryout. $660k isn't a concern, considering minimum wage next year gets bumped up to $575k.

Gauthier has his work cut out for him this year. I have no doubt that many will be disapointed. My fear is that we will have to watch another year of Darche, Moen and Halpern and Pouliot on the top 6. The only one that belongs there is Benny but he just seems to be missing something. He has been better than we give him credit for, but not much. I would really like to see yemilin try out here.

Gauthier has his work cut out for him this year. I have no doubt that many will be disapointed. My fear is that we will have to watch another year of Darche, Moen and Halpern and Pouliot on the top 6. The only one that belongs there is Benny but he just seems to be missing something. He has been better than we give him credit for, but not much. I would really like to see yemilin try out here.

Looks like you forget about Max Pac. He's the 6th forward IMO.