Bruins playoff run 2011

YeahBud

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It doesn't matter. They have 6 goals in 6 games. The Canucks are lucky they are still playing.

The least amount of goals registered by a Stanley Cup champion since 1970 is 13 (Dallas 99). That includes all 4 game sweeps.

The Canucks look like a different team than they did all season. I think the injuries are mounting, Kesler looks nothing like the player

he was in the 2nd round.

Meanwhile, Boston's luck with injuries has been amazing. Yeah, Horton is significant, but that's literally the only body they're down these playoffs. Their defensive depth hasn't been tested at all, aside from Chara's dehydration in Round 1. And it doesn't really matter, since I think Kampfer is okay and available by now after starting the playoffs injured.

man, I just saw the highlights of the goals Boston scored - I really can't believe how Luongo is considered an elite goalie and also can't believe how he was so stupid shooting off his mouth and then flubbing his chance to backtrack his incredibly stupid remarks. I just can't see Vancouver coming back- despite only giving up 2 goals at home. 17 goals in three games i Boston is just ridiculous for any goalie to give up on the road. Vancouver has scraped out their wins, Boston has killed them.

I'm hoping they come back - at least their getting used to coming back after being blown away, but it doesn't look good.

Meanwhile, Boston's luck with injuries has been amazing. Yeah, Horton is significant, but that's literally the only body they're down these playoffs. Their defensive depth hasn't been tested at all, aside from Chara's dehydration in Round 1. And it doesn't really matter, since I think Kampfer is okay and available by now after starting the playoffs injured.

I was thinking that with Kesler limping all over the ice. That being said, I would be a hypocrite to mention luck considering the Habs won 10 straight OT games to win a Cup in 1993.

They were fortunate to beat the Habs and I still don't think they have a better team. To watch them win the Cup would irritate the hell out of me.

Like I mentioned earlier in the thread, I think Schneider is better than Luongo. I don't like to analyze an individuals testicular fortitude, but how many times is one guy going to meltdown in an important game. It's not even once or twice, we are starting to see a large sample size of these major meltdowns.

Let's just thank god it didn't happen during last years Olympic Final.

I was thinking that with Kesler limping all over the ice. That being said, I would be a hypocrite to mention luck considering the Habs won 10 straight OT games to win a Cup in 1993.

They were fortunate to beat the Habs and I still don't think they have a better team. To watch them win the Cup would irritate the hell out of me.

Like I mentioned earlier in the thread, I think Schneider is better than Luongo. I don't like to analyze an individuals testicular fortitude, but how many times is one guy going to meltdown in an important game. It's not even once or twice, we are starting to see a large sample size of these major meltdowns.

Let's just thank god it didn't happen during last years Olympic Final.

I agree that Luongo is erratic and that injuries are finally starting to sink in for the Canucks after smooth sailing over the first three rounds. However, the idea that the team and Luongo cannot bounce back from this dismal result is implausible. They bounced back forcefully in Game 5 AND Boston has yet to win in Vancouver; for whatever reason that last change is huge in this series. The Bruins certainly have a decent shot, but the smart money picks the patterns of the series to continue forward into the deciding game. Canucks in 7 (just as EA Sports predicted :rolleyes: )

The problem with Luongo is his consistency. Its easy to questions his basic ability to play goal after a game in Boston, but we forget that he has two shut outs in Vancouver that were well deserved. Schneider is not a better goalie, but he is a more consistent goalie for sure.

The Canucks will win or lose on Wednesday based on which Luongo shows up. Unfortunately, one bad goal on Wednesday and it will be game over.

I agree that Luongo is erratic and that injuries are finally starting to sink in for the Canucks after smooth sailing over the first three rounds. However, the idea that the team and Luongo cannot bounce back from this dismal result is implausible. They bounced back forcefully in Game 5 AND Boston has yet to win in Vancouver; for whatever reason that last change is huge in this series. The Bruins certainly have a decent shot, but the smart money picks the patterns of the series to continue forward into the deciding game. Canucks in 7 (just as EA Sports predicted :rolleyes: )

It's a coin flip in Game 7. It doesn't matter what teams are playing. In a one game sample size anything can occur.

I just don't think Luongo has been great in the games in Vancouver, what I think is that the Canucks have been able to control the matchups and the flow of the game.

The problem is when he is left to fend for himself, he can't channel a big time performance to give the Canucks a chance to win. Not a shutout, but keeping your team down 1 or 2-0, not 3-0 in 3 minutes. Goalies don't give up 8 goals because they sucked. The team in front of him is largely responsible for things like that, but it is the inconsistent positioning that drives me crazy. That Marchand goal was a great shot, but Luongo exposed way to much glove side and all coming off talking major smack about the winning goal in Game 5.

Five times he has been blown out in these playoffs. Five TIMES on the best team in the NHL. Schneider may not have the reputation that Luongo does, but I would go with him. The contract will force them to go with Luongo, but I would not want to go into a Game 7 with the fear that my goalie might not be able to stop a beach ball.

The problem with Luongo is his consistency. Its easy to questions his basic ability to play goal after a game in Boston, but we forget that he has two shut outs in Vancouver that were well deserved. Schneider is not a better goalie, but he is a more consistent goalie for sure.

The Canucks will win or lose on Wednesday based on which Luongo shows up. Unfortunately, one bad goal on Wednesday and it will be game over.

The odd thing, though, is the near-total lack of offence that Vancouver has generated over the last four games (a grand total of four goals), including at home. That puts immense pressure on Luongo even if he's having a good night. And it's highly uncharacteristic of this team, which had the league's best offence all season. My faith in the Canucks' ability to win has been rooted in their possession of an extra gear - their ability to simply take over a game and overwhelm the opposition when they have to, rather akin to the Habs of the 1970s. We saw this, for instance, in the second OT against San Jose: Vancouver just turned it up and San Jose had no response. But in this series - maybe due to the loss of Hamhuis and an accumulation of injuries - that extra gear seems to have deserted them.

I think they'll win just because they've been so strong at home. Still, the way the team's main strength has evaporated, you do have to wonder if, just maybe, the Bruins can pull it out.

The odd thing, though, is the near-total lack of offence that Vancouver has generated over the last four games (a grand total of four goals), including at home. That puts immense pressure on Luongo even if he's having a good night. And it's highly uncharacteristic of this team, which had the league's best offence all season. My faith in the Canucks' ability to win has been rooted in their possession of an extra gear - their ability to simply take over a game and overwhelm the opposition when they have to, rather akin to the Habs of the 1970s. We saw this, for instance, in the second OT against San Jose: Vancouver just turned it up and San Jose had no response. But in this series - maybe due to the loss of Hamhuis and an accumulation of injuries - that extra gear seems to have deserted them.

I think they'll win just because they've been so strong at home. Still, the way the team's main strength has evaporated, you do have to wonder if, just maybe, the Bruins can pull it out.

The Canucks aren't generating chances, but the Bruins aren't really either in Vancouver. This is exactly my point when it comes to judging SV%, goaltending, greatness from stats etc.

The storyline becomes "Luongo great at home, terrible on the road" OR "They have a chance because Luongo is great at home".

Luongo's magnificent Game 5 had FIVE even strength scoring chances and three PP chances for the Bruins.

http://www.coppernblue.com/2011/6/11/2168695/canucks-vs-bruins-scoring-chances-game-5

Thomas' brilliant performance faced ten even strength scoring chances, one on the power play.

That is not fantastic goaltending, it is stingy defense.

Now contrast the home numbers in the series versus the road numbers.

In Vancouver the scoring chances are (even strength in brackets)

BOSTON - 33 (22)

VANCOUVER - 37 (36)

In Boston the scoring chances are

BOSTON - 60 (39)

VANCOUVER - 40 (33)

Is there any shock to see why the Canucks goaltending numbers have gone through the roof in Boston. It isn't because Luongo plays well at home, it is because the Canucks have cut the chances in half when they have the final change. You can also see that Vancouver has been the better 5 on 5 team during the Finals and that the Bruins have been dependent upon the power play to create their chances.

Powerplay shots have been proven to be more dangerous than even strength shots. Every goaltender in the league has a dramatic drop in SV% when even strength is contrasted against power play.

So during the series the Canucks have generated 8 power play chances, the Bruins number is 32!!

Thomas has had to deal with barely over 1 power play chance per game whereas Luongo/Schneider are over 5 per game.

I don't think Luongo has been great, but the Canucks have hung him out to dry in Boston and have protected him well in Vancouver.

You want a storyline in Game 7? If Vancouver avoids the penalty box, they increase their chances to win significantly.

The Canucks aren't generating chances, but the Bruins aren't really either in Vancouver. This is exactly my point when it comes to judging SV%, goaltending, greatness from stats etc.

The storyline becomes "Luongo great at home, terrible on the road" OR "They have a chance because Luongo is great at home".

Luongo's magnificent Game 5 had FIVE even strength scoring chances and three PP chances for the Bruins.

http://www.coppernblue.com/2011/6/11/2168695/canucks-vs-bruins-scoring-chances-game-5

Thomas' brilliant performance faced ten even strength scoring chances, one on the power play.

That is not fantastic goaltending, it is stingy defense.

Now contrast the home numbers in the series versus the road numbers.

In Vancouver the scoring chances are (even strength in brackets)

BOSTON - 33 (22)

VANCOUVER - 37 (36)

In Boston the scoring chances are

BOSTON - 60 (39)

VANCOUVER - 40 (33)

Is there any shock to see why the Canucks goaltending numbers have gone through the roof in Boston. It isn't because Luongo plays well at home, it is because the Canucks have cut the chances in half when they have the final change. You can also see that Vancouver has been the better 5 on 5 team during the Finals and that the Bruins have been dependent upon the power play to create their chances.

Powerplay shots have been proven to be more dangerous than even strength shots. Every goaltender in the league has a dramatic drop in SV% when even strength is contrasted against power play.

So during the series the Canucks have generated 8 power play chances, the Bruins number is 32!!

Thomas has had to deal with barely over 1 power play chance per game whereas Luongo/Schneider are over 5 per game.

I don't think Luongo has been great, but the Canucks have hung him out to dry in Boston and have protected him well in Vancouver.

You want a storyline in Game 7? If Vancouver avoids the penalty box, they increase their chances to win significantly.

I never bought the 'awesome/terrible goalie performances' narrative for a second: both goalies are significantly dependent on team D, as indeed most goalies are. BUT, this is awesome analysis on its own terms - nicely done! Your breakdown of scoring chances is also very interesting, if only because it implies a very real chance for the Bruins in Game 7; after all, they're *bascially* even with Vancouver in chances at Rogers Arena and have dominated them in Boston. Those numbers spin a story of a Bruins edge in the overall series and only marginal home ice advantage for Van. That only holds if we incorporate the PP in the calculus, though.

Bizarre that a 5-on-5 machine like the Bruins has been outclassed at that category, while the powerhouse power-play of the Canucks has been rendered inert :wacko: ??????

I never bought the 'awesome/terrible goalie performances' narrative for a second: both goalies are significantly dependent on team D, as indeed most goalies are. BUT, this is awesome analysis on its own terms - nicely done! Your breakdown of scoring chances is also very interesting, if only because it implies a very real chance for the Bruins in Game 7; after all, they're *bascially* even with Vancouver in chances at Rogers Arena and have dominated them in Boston. Those numbers spin a story of a Bruins edge in the overall series and only marginal home ice advantage for Van. That only holds if we incorporate the PP in the calculus, though.

Bizarre that a 5-on-5 machine like the Bruins has been outclassed at that category, while the powerhouse power-play of the Canucks has been rendered inert :wacko: ??????

It will be interesting if the referees offer up another zero penalty game seven like they did against Tampa who was dominating on the powerplay.

BTW, make that two broken vertebrae for the Bruins this season and zero man games lost for them.

I thought Luongo sucked in Game 6, no question. The issue is the same one Price had last year. One bad goal and both Luongo and the Canucks confidence sags. The Bruins jump all over it and blow them out.

When Luongo is at home and has a good first period, his confidence solidifies and he seems much more solid. He made some huge saves in game 5.

IMO, one softie in on him tonight and pull him. He has shown no ability to shrug it off and keep going. He just falls apart. The team also gives up immediately, which tells me they don't really have much confidence in him either. They can tell when he has lost his confidence.

I thought Luongo sucked in Game 6, no question. The issue is the same one Price had last year. One bad goal and both Luongo and the Canucks confidence sags. The Bruins jump all over it and blow them out.

When Luongo is at home and has a good first period, his confidence solidifies and he seems much more solid. He made some huge saves in game 5.

IMO, one softie in on him tonight and pull him. He has shown no ability to shrug it off and keep going. He just falls apart. The team also gives up immediately, which tells me they don't really have much confidence in him either. They can tell when he has lost his confidence.

I think this is a fair analysis of the vicious circle that Luongo and the Canucks D fall into. It also explains why when Luongo DOES let in an early softie the Canucks get blown out: the team gets rattled, Loo's support goes erratic, he lets in more goals, etc..

The Bruins are in tough tonight. The overarching series pattern - home wins, road losses - works heavily in Vancouver's favour. You also have to think that the crowd is going to be out of its mind, which will increase the odds of the Canucks getting that ridiculously important First Goal as a result of sheer manic energy. And I just don't believe that, at the end of the day, Luongo is going to stink out the joint in what will be the defining game of his career. He's not a great goalie, but he's better than that. Remember, he was solid for Team Canada under similarly hysterical circumstances.

Look for the Canucks to come out and try to dominate physically in the early going. Whenever they've done that in these playoffs, they've won.

All that being said, Boston has been on balance the better team over 6 games if you factor in the man advantage...it would be an amazing feat for them, but you can argue that they're due to win in Lotusland.

Hell of a series. Should be a hell of a finale.

I think this is a fair analysis of the vicious circle that Luongo and the Canucks D fall into. It also explains why when Luongo DOES let in an early softie the Canucks get blown out: the team gets rattled, Loo's support goes erratic, he lets in more goals, etc..

The Bruins are in tough tonight. The overarching series pattern - home wins, road losses - works heavily in Vancouver's favour. You also have to think that the crowd is going to be out of its mind, which will increase the odds of the Canucks getting that ridiculously important First Goal as a result of sheer manic energy. And I just don't believe that, at the end of the day, Luongo is going to stink out the joint in what will be the defining game of his career. He's not a great goalie, but he's better than that. Remember, he was solid for Team Canada under similarly hysterical circumstances.

Look for the Canucks to come out and try to dominate physically in the early going. Whenever they've done that in these playoffs, they've won.

All that being said, Boston has been on balance the better team over 6 games if you factor in the man advantage...it would be an amazing feat for them, but you can argue that they're due to win in Lotusland.

Hell of a series. Should be a hell of a finale.

So much for them scoring first. Luongo needs to stop pucks like that in Game 7.

So much for them scoring first. Luongo needs to stop pucks like that in Game 7.

I'm not a goalie expert, but shouldn't he be in butterfly right there? I mean, Bergeron might have picked the corner anyway, but Luongo didn't look set at all.

I'm not a goalie expert, but shouldn't he be in butterfly right there? I mean, Bergeron might have picked the corner anyway, but Luongo didn't look set at all.

His puck tracking on that play was awful. You have to play with more urgency on a play like that, he didn't even move.

How would you like to be the Canucks and on the hook for Luongo's contract for another decade?

I am not one to blame goaltenders, but elite goaltenders do not go down that meekly in the Stanley Cup Final.

His legacy has been destroyed for the media/fans. How good of a team does he need to play on to win a Cup?

Ouch...................................get out the butter Vancouver's TOAST!

Well at least we lost to the Cup champs :1gohabs:

ONCE in regulation to the Cup champs.

Vancouver was coined a goalie graveyard by Burke, and it looks like Luongo is the latest to fall. It just took him longer. I don't think he's been abysmal, though; let's remember that he has had the worst offensive support of any goalie in Finals history. Not enough attention is being paid to the Bruins' defence, which has been absolutely sensational all series. Thomas will win the Conn Smythe, but ALL he has to do is make the first save. Incredible. And it's incredible to me that took these guys to game 7 OT. That D is just hermetic.

The bad news for us is that the Bruins, as far as I know, are not going to be any weaker next year, and they will have Cup experience and all the swagger and aura that goes with that. That's the scary thing. A lot of their core is young.

The good news is that the Habs gave them their toughest series. And that says something about our team.

Its pretty tough to think that Chara will be hoisting the cup. The Bruins had no business getting past the habs they way they played. The reffing allowed them to turn a skill game into a clutch and grab. The off side goal, the lack of pacs, the missed calls.. then I watched the refs deny Tampa the power play in game 7 when they were hitting at 28 percent and the Bruins couldn't score on the PP to save their lives...

Unfortunately, after game 4 it was clear to me that Vancouver was toast. Luongo has not been near good enough and by that point you could see the Canucks over thinking every shot.

There is only one player on the Bruins I don't mind seeing winning and that is Tim Thomas. He has had a remarkable year and an even better playoffs. While I was not impressed with some of his comments on Pacs, being a Bruin sucks the class right out of you.

I guess that is what is saddest of all. The Bruins turn every game where the outcome is settled into a gong show. They are cheap and dirty and make philly look classy. At least Pitts and Chicago won on talent, not thuggery.

One thing I will say about Vancouver.. they never started running Thomas. You might think that was a mistake, but it is classy. Imagine if Thomas was playing against Boston.. once they were up a few goals or losing a game, thomas would be injured.

One thing I will say about Vancouver.. they never started running Thomas. You might think that was a mistake, but it is classy. Imagine if Thomas was playing against Boston.. once they were up a few goals or losing a game, thomas would be injured.

Thomas was pushing guys, slashing guy and just butt ended somebody and the Canucks did NOTHING.

Vancouver was coined a goalie graveyard by Burke, and it looks like Luongo is the latest to fall. It just took him longer. I don't think he's been abysmal, though; let's remember that he has had the worst offensive support of any goalie in Finals history. Not enough attention is being paid to the Bruins' defence, which has been absolutely sensational all series. Thomas will win the Conn Smythe, but ALL he has to do is make the first save. Incredible. And it's incredible to me that took these guys to game 7 OT. That D is just hermetic.

The bad news for us is that the Bruins, as far as I know, are not going to be any weaker next year, and they will have Cup experience and all the swagger and aura that goes with that. That's the scary thing. A lot of their core is young.

The good news is that the Habs gave them their toughest series. And that says something about our team.

Like I said, I don't blame goaltenders because I think they are mostly a product of their environment, but the best ones can give you a chance in games you don't deserve to win. Luongo didn't give them a chance in any game they were outplayed. When they were outplayed, he collapsed, their 4 losses will be all by more than 3 goals.

I still think they should have started Schneider, contract be damned.

As for the Bruins being young, it doesn't matter. You need fortune to win a Stanley Cup, they just used up a hell of a lot of that fortune in this run. Three OT wins against the Habs, three Game 7 wins. The Canucks losing half their team in the final and Kesler IS playing hurt. The Non-Chara suspension etc.

Everybody thought the Pens were on their way, they have won one round since then.

All this goes to show is that the Habs are a Cup contender RIGHT NOW! Gauthier should sign Wiz and Markov and figure things out later. Take a Colborne like prospect and get deadline help and go for it in 2012. This core is ready to take a shot now.