Bruins playoff run 2011

YeahBud

There's enough difference between them that some teams are better than others but not enough difference to make upsets surprising.

Vancouver vs Chicago is pretty much a toss up, maybe Van has a 60% chance of winning.

But Vancouver has a much better chance of winning 4 rounds than Chicago does. It's then realistic to say that Chi will beat Van but not very realistic to say Chi will win the Cup.

I get your point. But it is just weird to read it as is.

"I wouldn't say that all 16 playoff teams have a realistic chance to win the Cup but there is no doubt that any playoff team can beat any playoff team in a single round."

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congrats to the Bruins. And their fans!

Lots of people thought I was crazy for asking if we'd just lost the the eventual winner back on May 3rd... oh ye of little faith...

If nothing else this proves that any year can be 'The Year'

The puck bounces in mysterious ways and the hockey gods have a twisted sense of humour.

I know our day in the sun will come, In the words of the most interesting man in the World: "Stay thirsty my friends"

There's enough difference between them that some teams are better than others but not enough difference to make upsets surprising.

Vancouver vs Chicago is pretty much a toss up, maybe Van has a 60% chance of winning.

But Vancouver has a much better chance of winning 4 rounds than Chicago does. It's then realistic to say that Chi will beat Van but not very realistic to say Chi will win the Cup.

That was much closer than a 60/40 series heading in (60/40 is actually a significant difference in the NHL). Chicago was incredibly underrated this season due to Turco's horrible goaltending in the first 6 weeks. From mid-November on Chicago was essentially a 110 point team. Its why Vancouver had more trouble against Chicago than Nashville... Chicago really was better than Nashville. And by possession metrics, was a top 3 team in the West, ahead of San Jose (with Detroit and Van).

7 games is small enough of a sample size that upsets are quite frequent.

That is knee jerk analysis. At the end of the day, a smart GM will take the large sample size and not the small sample size to make his judgements.

Now mind you, in the NHL goaltender stats are misleading so somebody with knowledge of the position should also video review his performance, so using his stats could lead you to the wrong decision. There will always be a GM who is willing to roll the dice on a guy who is always in the top 10 of goaltending stats whose goal might not immediately be to win the Stanley Cup, but to solidify his chance at a playoff position.

If Gomez got traded at that number, anybody can be dealt.

Vancouver should go with Schneider for the simple fact that he can provide replacement level performance for 25% of the price. Return this same team with an added impact player to replace Luongo's commitment and you have a better team.

I was looking at his career, not just this one blown series. He had a good run in Fla, but couldn't close. He won a gold, or was that Crosby? Sorry, I look at him and see Cujo. a goalie that will get you there, almost. Tons of those out there. He almost blew this cup run in the first round! Yes, his team was weak as pee in the last 2 games. Hard to win if you can't score a goal. It is harder if your goalie doesn't give you a chance. His career will end as Cujo's did, in the also ran column. He just ain't good under the gun. No? Show me the ring! He is a good goalie, but not a winner.