Had to say

Zowpeb

I'm absolutely shocked at not seeing any political threads started prior to the election...maybe I missed them somehow.

Let's face it some of these NDP candidates deserve at least some small comment...I'm sure that some of these NDP "ghost" candidates were elected in ridings that some posters live in...and I'm also sure that some posters probably voted for them.

I'm very curious what the general sentiments are within Quebec given that this went down the way it did...I'm sure there is a lot of defensive posturing going on by many NDP voters in those ridings...LOL. I think it's probably fair to say that if people were honestly following their candidates none of these kids would have been elected. Would many have voted the same way if they realised what they were voting for?? Would they have voted BQ again if they did?? Or would it have been another party?? Will the BQ rise up again in the next election? If the Liberals vote in a Quebec based party leader will they then sweep Quebec (as has occured in the past when they do so)? Will Quebec voters see this as a reason to stop voting for parties en masse?

I'm really quite curious about the mindset of Quebec voters in the days post-election...

I'm not in Quebec so I can't comment but it does seem interesting that a 19 year old Poli Sci major (still in school) got elected, as did someone who spent more time in Vegas than on the campaign trail. I think it was a case of give someone else a chance and Layton was that someone else (a vote for the leader, not so much the local candidates).

Also not in Quebec, however... if the NDP protects their rookies and looks out for some Quebec interests, then you could see the end of the Bloc, in my opinion.

However, the Bloc did get 23% of the vote in Quebec... that's not a dead party, and if the NDP prove incompetent, the Bloc has 4 years to build up on ammunition.

The Liberal party should be concerned however. Their biggest leader in the group after Ignatieff quit is Bob Rae, who went on national television and said that they may need to consider joining the NDP.

I was in Costa Rica on E-Day and wanted to puke so bad. Being governed by the religious Western Canada makes me wanna seperate even more than before.

As for Québec, I hope people didn't vote Layton cuz they thought he would care about our values and interests. Sad to say, but I can't see it happening.

• 2 weeks later...

I was in Costa Rica on E-Day and wanted to puke so bad. Being governed by the religious Western Canada makes me wanna seperate even more than before.

As for Québec, I hope people didn't vote Layton cuz they thought he would care about our values and interests. Sad to say, but I can't see it happening.

I think it's highly uninformed to assume that Canada is going to be governed by "the religious Western Canada"...in fact, I think it most likley the Conservatives stay pretty moderate and centrist.

I think you would be hard pressed to really prove such a ridiculous comment. The opposition parties (all of them) tried to vilify the Conservatives and most of their supporters played make believe that "their parties" weren't doing the same thing. Those people who are ideologically left (I mean really left) in this country have spent the past 7-8 years polarizing this country. Those who are ideologically right (I mean really right) were more then willing combatants. The reality is that the Conservatives actually governed with a very centrist policy platform, ran their campaign in the same manner and are likely to govern that way with a majority. Why? Because, like all politicians, they want to get re-elected.

Layton is a con-man and scam artist. He'll pander to Quebec because it's his only path to try and win the next election (ie. keep his Quebec seats and try to expand in Ontario, BC and Eastern Canada). He can't afford to lose seats in Quebec so he'll push for Quebec interests. If anyone cares to look deep in the NDP charter, their candidates and the fringe elements that carry a lot of weight in the party...I think you'd be very scared. In fact, they scare me more then the a lot of other parties...including the Bloc (and I despise the separatist cause).

I congratulate Quebec on taking advantage of the system and voting en masse yet again. I also think it's unfairly distorting things in the country as a whole. Quebec's worst enemy is it's own public and their dependance on the nanny state (and that includes all the federal, provincial and municipal levels...this is not a sovereignty issue).

Not trying to be inflammatory, and I hope no one took those commments in that light. I just think that Quebec needs to build the productivity of all people living in the province. They need to focus less on government dependance. After all, why bother trying to do better when you can comfortably live off various degrees of government help. Seriously, NFLD used to be the basket case of government dependance...now it's Quebec. And Quebec should be one of the strongest, proudest regions in the country...the separatist/sovereigntist movement actually CAUSED this slow downfall to happen because it took focus away from the really meaningful issues. I'm not sure what the answer is to awakening that in the hearts/minds of Quebec but it needs to happen and soon. The vote for the NDP was just people searching for an alternative and the NDP fit the bill of a party that will fight to give them even more "stuff".

I think it's highly uninformed to assume that Canada is going to be governed by "the religious Western Canada"...in fact, I think it most likley the Conservatives stay pretty moderate and centrist.

I will believe that the day the Western Canada will stop electing former members of the Reform Party, let alone a PM.

I will believe that the day the Western Canada will stop electing former members of the Reform Party, let alone a PM.

I think it's a given that any politician knows that they have to get re-elected. They do that by taking a moderate approach. If they tried to force something down peoples throat in a 5 year term then they'd get turfed and the next government would change it...assuming that most people didn't want whatever the policy was.

Reality is these guys know where there bread is buttered. At worst they'll slowly try to shift the center of Canadian politics to the right...and that would require multiple successive governments...at least 3 in 4 elections type of thing...kind of like the Liberals did under Chretien and Trudeau which saw the center of Canadian politics shift to the left. And that left this country with an overly empowered public sector union base, a medical system that's draining the economy, a bloated beauracracy and a regionalized environment that pits Quebec against Ontario and the West against the East.

• 3 weeks later...

I think you would be hard pressed to really prove such a ridiculous comment. The opposition parties (all of them) tried to vilify the Conservatives...

Layton is a con-man and scam artist... If anyone cares to look deep in the NDP charter, their candidates and the fringe elements that carry a lot of weight in the party...I think you'd be very scared. In fact, they scare me more then the a lot of other parties...including the Bloc (and I despise the separatist cause).

Some points to make here.

By Religious Western Canada governing Canada we could always look at Steven Harper... the religious Westerner.. The Alliance Church, to which Harper has belonged for decades, believes Jesus Christ will return to Earth in an apocalypse, won't ordain women, strongly opposes abortion and divorce, condemns homosexuality as the most base of sins and believes those who aren't born-again are "lost."

I love how Conservatives say things like "the opposition parties try to vilify the conservatives... and then say stuff like "Layton is a con-man and scam artist"... then talks about how evil the left is...

I would like to know how Jack is a con-man. That is a ridiculous comment... considering Steven Harper took over 2 million dollars for a secret government run media station... aka propaganda... I do believe that falls under jurisdiction of fascism... add that too all the cuts to activist groups... I think that the oppression of freedom of speech is a little scarier then some extra money for people who are having a rough go of things.