Colin Campbell out, Shanahan in ?

JoeLassister

:clap:

I'm obviously not a fan of Campbell and Shanahan impressed me with his appearance on RDS this year.

How long before Shanahan's accused of playing favourites with players he used to play with? I like Shanny but he's not far enough removed from the game to be totally independent. Certainly Campbell wasn't either but similar concerns are going to rise here.

How long before Shanahan's accused of playing favourites with players he used to play with? I like Shanny but he's not far enough removed from the game to be totally independent. Certainly Campbell wasn't either but similar concerns are going to rise here.

Good point.

Plus, would be funny that a guy in the All time top 25 for penalty minutes head the discipline committee. I like him, but it would seem funny no matter what. It's like if someone who spent lots of time in jail ends up being head justice of the supreme court. Nothing to help improve the leagues' image IMO

Good point.

Plus, would be funny that a guy in the All time top 25 for penalty minutes head the discipline committee. I like him, but it would seem funny no matter what. It's like if someone who spent lots of time in jail ends up being head justice of the supreme court. Nothing to help improve the leagues' image IMO

Has Shanahan ever been suspended? I think all his penalty minutes were legal so I don't see anything hypocritical here.

Has Shanahan ever been suspended? I think all his penalty minutes were legal so I don't see anything hypocritical here.

I'm with you there. Shanahan sure was tough, droped his gloves more than often and was caught a few times with dirty hits/slashing, but nothing over the top.

He is, IMO, someone who'd be really able to draw the line between a "hockey play" and a cheap shot that should be punished.

Wasn't Colon Campbell more of a dirty player than Shanny?

Personally I don't think it's going to change much, but I welcome the move.

On one hand it seems to me that Shanahan has done some good work with the league responsabilities he's had after he retired as a player. On the other hand, this is the NHL and I don't expect much to change in how disciplinary matters are expedited. It can't get much worse, but I'm not holding my breath either.