Muller To the Stars?

bar

I for one will be sad to see him leave . i think he had a great rapport with the players and was definitely an asset. I wish him the best of luck and hope that one day he can return to the Habs family :habslogo:

I for one will be sad to see him leave . i think he had a great rapport with the players and was definitely an asset. I wish him the best of luck and hope that one day he can return to the Habs family :habslogo:

Agreed.

I have a feeling Cunneyworth will take his place if he does indeed land the job.

We'd even be willing to throw in Gomez;)

It will be pretty bad if Richards signs as a UFA for less then Gomez!! Although from the sound of things he should be able to get over $7.5m

We'd even be willing to throw in Gomez;)

It will be pretty bad if Richards signs as a UFA for less then Gomez!! Although from the sound of things he should be able to get over $7.5m

I don't think he will. He's going to wind up with one of those long, long term deals that will get the cap hit down into the 6 range.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, the Dallas announcement still isn't done but perhaps Muller is no longer the frontrunner (or wasn't to begin with). Quick note from MacKenzie on his picks has Muller not landing in Ottawa, Dallas, or Minnesota. (For those keeping track of the coaching vacancies, Florida has already named their replacement, Kevin Dineen.)

http://twitter.com/#!/TSNBobMcKenzie/status/80045618256551936

I also don't think Muller will take over in Winnipeg when the new GM gets around to firing their current coach. That job is likely earmarked for Claude Noel.

Well, the Dallas announcement still isn't done but perhaps Muller is no longer the frontrunner (or wasn't to begin with). Quick note from MacKenzie on his picks has Muller not landing in Ottawa, Dallas, or Minnesota. (For those keeping track of the coaching vacancies, Florida has already named their replacement, Kevin Dineen.)

http://twitter.com/#!/TSNBobMcKenzie/status/80045618256551936

I also don't think Muller will take over in Winnipeg when the new GM gets around to firing their current coach. That job is likely earmarked for Claude Noel.

OK, so if we can scratch Dallas, Ottawa, Minny, and the Peg, what's left - ? Do we dare to hope that we DON'T get our coaches pillaged by the competition this time around?

OK, so if we can scratch Dallas, Ottawa, Minny, and the Peg, what's left - ? Do we dare to hope that we DON'T get our coaches pillaged by the competition this time around?

I believe the Devils still haven't replaced Lemaire. Considering Muller's old ties there, the Habs aren't out of the woods yet.

I believe the Devils still haven't replaced Lemaire. Considering Muller's old ties there, the Habs aren't out of the woods yet.

i do not want to wish him any bad luck but damn it would be nice if he could hang tough for 1 or 2 years till we can kick Martin upstairs.

Ottawa is out of the mix now. Paul MacLean got the job.

Glad to hear that. No way do we need Kirk's inside info with a divisional rival.

Glad to hear that. No way do we need Kirk's inside info with a divisional rival.

The more I think about it, the more I believe it would make sense to include in assistant coach/coach/etc contracts a clause where they can't have a division rival as their next team if they ever upgrade their position or move, or at least in a certain number of years after. It's already done in other field of activity with direct competitors, I don't see why it couldn't be the same in sports with division rival (direct competitors).

What are your thoughts about that guys ?

The more I think about it, the more I believe it would make sense to include in assistant coach/coach/etc contracts a clause where they can't have a division rival as their next team if they ever upgrade their position or move, or at least in a certain number of years after. It's already done in other field of activity with direct competitors, I don't see why it couldn't be the same in sports with division rival (direct competitors).

What are your thoughts about that guys ?

Montreal could block a move like this if they wanted already. I don't think its necessary at all.

Montreal could block a move like this if they wanted already. I don't think its necessary at all.

how would they block him from going? they sure didn't block boucher from going to Tampa.

how would they block him from going? they sure didn't block boucher from going to Tampa.

See the Boucher thing. The Habs granted Boucher permission to seek employment elsewhere. It was a decision based on organization policy.

Last year, the Habs apparently blocked Muller from accepting anything but a head coaching position with another team. If he was offered somewhere to be an assistant, he wasn't allowed to. Not sure if that extended to AHL head coaching or not.

My question was more, should ANY team block their personel from moving into the same division at any cost ? Would it be acceptable for you ?

My question was more, should ANY team block their personel from moving into the same division at any cost ? Would it be acceptable for you ?

I'd think it would make it harder to attract quality assistant coaches in the future if one were to do that.

Peter Chiarelli was let go by the Senators as an assistant GM to manage the Bruins... and that summer the B's went out and signed Ottawa's #1 D (plus a star centre that was an Ottawa native), changing the division's balance entirely. So yeah, there can be a lot of risk in allowing that.

I'd think it would make it harder to attract quality assistant coaches in the future if one were to do that.

Peter Chiarelli was let go by the Senators as an assistant GM to manage the Bruins... and that summer the B's went out and signed Ottawa's #1 D (plus a star centre that was an Ottawa native), changing the division's balance entirely. So yeah, there can be a lot of risk in allowing that.

Chiarelli may have been let go but the Sens did try to punish Boston by refusing to let him out of his existing deal a couple weeks early to run Boston's draft. I forget if in the end they eventually did but that was an interesting story at the time.

With regards to Muller, some cautious good news. According to this report, the 4 primary candidates for Winnipeg are Craig Ramsay, Claude Noel, Craig MacTavish, and Mike Haviland. That's the good news. The caution part is the later note that says if management considers other candidates, Muller would likely get a look.

With regards to Muller, some cautious good news. According to this report, the 4 primary candidates for Winnipeg are Craig Ramsay, Claude Noel, Craig MacTavish, and Mike Haviland. That's the good news. The caution part is the later note that says if management considers other candidates, Muller would likely get a look.

It's down to Noel (who I predicted would get the job last week) and Haviland for the Winnipeg job. Sounds like no Muller here which means it's just the Devils to worry about.

It's down to Noel (who I predicted would get the job last week) and Haviland for the Winnipeg job. Sounds like no Muller here which means it's just the Devils to worry about.

Which is probably the team that should have been worried about the most from the start.