Muller To the Stars?

bar

Which is probably the team that should have been worried about the most from the start.

Yep. When MacLean was fired, I had actually posted back then that Muller was probably going to be the 5th ex-hab/hab coach to be a coach in NJ.

Well, the thread title could wind up being appropriate...just not in the way we all thought. Joe Nieuwendyk, Dallas's GM has admitted the team is considering offering Muller the coaching job for the AHL's Texas Stars. Apparently, they're not the only team pondering offering Muller an AHL head coaching job.

Well, the thread title could wind up being appropriate...just not in the way we all thought. Joe Nieuwendyk, Dallas's GM has admitted the team is considering offering Muller the coaching job for the AHL's Texas Stars. Apparently, they're not the only team pondering offering Muller an AHL head coaching job.

https://twitter.com/#!/habsinsideout1/status/84412375033319425

Chicago Wolves

... then why not offer him the Bulldogs job and promote Cunneyworth?

maybe Muller thinks Martin is going to be the Head Coach for a long time, and that the Vancouver HC job is just 1 season away from being his

... then why not offer him the Bulldogs job and promote Cunneyworth?

They did...last year. I'd surmise that teams are leery of his lack of head coaching experience at any level (I think he was only a CIS assistant coach) and would be more comfortable giving him a year or two getting to know their prospects and learning how to be a head coach before promoting him. As long as the language requirement stands for Montreal coaches, Muller knows he'll never be the guy with the Habs so he'd be best off to go to another organization and hope to be promoted from within, something we've seen quite a bit of lately.

They did...last year. I'd surmise that teams are leery of his lack of head coaching experience at any level (I think he was only a CIS assistant coach) and would be more comfortable giving him a year or two getting to know their prospects and learning how to be a head coach before promoting him. As long as the language requirement stands for Montreal coaches, Muller knows he'll never be the guy with the Habs so he'd be best off to go to another organization and hope to be promoted from within, something we've seen quite a bit of lately.

iI hate the language policy, it costs the team too much talent. As Guy Carbonneau said who cares if he speaks chinese winning is what counts. He did a great job for us and we lose him cause of language? THAT is NUTS :1gohabs:

The language policy is stupid. But that's Montreal for you. It's not only a hockey team, it's also a business, and the business has to be able to speak the language of its customers. If Captain Kirk does leave, we'll just have to hope that Gauthier finds a good, strong replacement. Hardly anyone is indispensable, least of all assistant coaches.

Milwaukee it is, to be announced tomorrow. http://twitter.com/#...026930176434176

Cunneyworth has long been my pick to replace him but given what I was reading a while back, it seemed as if his preference (and Montreal's) was to stay with the Bulldogs. Probably for the same reason why Muller is now leaving too, more guys seem to get promoted from the AHL than poached as an NHL assistant. I'm sure we'll see some names tossed out for speculation soon enough. Allow me to toss Peter DeBoer out there.

Milwaukee it is, to be announced tomorrow. http://twitter.com/#...026930176434176

Cunneyworth has long been my pick to replace him but given what I was reading a while back, it seemed as if his preference (and Montreal's) was to stay with the Bulldogs. Probably for the same reason why Muller is now leaving too, more guys seem to get promoted from the AHL than poached as an NHL assistant. I'm sure we'll see some names tossed out for speculation soon enough. Allow me to toss Peter DeBoer out there.

:angry2:

EDIT: Well, he's gone. Thanks for all your work, Captain Kirk.

• 3 months later...

They miss him for sure.

Kirk is the new age coach which has been successful since the lock out. Who knows if he will ever be a great NHL coach but he has the required pedigree 1. Ex NHLer 2. Been in the big games and won them (Stanley Cup winning goal) 3. Modern up beat ideas 4. Great communicator

Jacques has done a wonderful job though he did take these guys to the East Finals

I agree that JM has done a great job. But if we go 1-7, 1-8, something's gotta give. Were I Gauthier, I'd be exploring these options, in this order:

1. Move Gomez. Anyway, anyhow. Cross your fingers on Eller or DD as his replacement, neither of whom is likely to do any worse.

2. See about aqcuiring a useful defenceman who can run a power-play. If no UFAs fit the bill, then you might have to move Kostitsyn. I am NOT attacking Kostitsyn, and I am not saying this is a wonderful scenario. I'm saying the lack of a PP is absolutely killing us, potentially destroying our season; that Kosty is probably gone after this year anyway; and that Cole can reasonably be expected to fill the role played by Kosty. Yes, I am aware that Markov and Campoli will be back by Christmas. But if we lose tonight and the PP struggles, the situation will be approaching critical. Besides, I don't think you can ever have too much depth on D, and you can always deal one away at the deadline for help at FW.

3. Fire Martin and cross your fingers, bring in Muller (or some other 'new era' coach). He will probably get a pass on the French language thing under the circumstances; but make sure he has a francophone assistant who can charm the media.

I agree that JM has done a great job. But if we go 1-7, 1-8, something's gotta give. Were I Gauthier, I'd be exploring these options, in this order:

2. See about aqcuiring a useful defenceman who can run a power-play. If no UFAs fit the bill, then you might have to move Kostitsyn. I am NOT attacking Kostitsyn, and I am not saying this is a wonderful scenario. I'm saying the lack of a PP is absolutely killing us, potentially destroying our season; that Kosty is probably gone after this year anyway; and that Cole can reasonably be expected to fill the role played by Kosty. Yes, I am aware that Markov and Campoli will be back by Christmas. But if we lose tonight and the PP struggles, the situation will be approaching critical. Besides, I don't think you can ever have too much depth on D, and you can always deal one away at the deadline for help at FW.

Who are you thinking about ?

Who are you thinking about ?

Ha ha, beats me. I generally don't develop elaborate theories about trading player X for player Y except where the fit seems glaringly obvious. But surely there are useful second-tier offensive defencemen out there. My point is, were I gauthier, I'd be investigating all possibilites on this front.

Markov: back 'in November.' That could be anything from Nov. 1 to Nov. 30. It is certainly possible that we will be out of the playoff picture by then. Please note, though, that I am NOT saying we WILL be out of contention. I'm saying that 2-3 more losses will put us close enough to that position that the sort of action I describe above will become necessary.