2011 Offseason Thread

dlbalr

RDS have the Preds pulling a Dave Tallon. No Q for Sergei K, O'Reilly, Halischuk and Spaling.

Weird. I thought David Poile was really tight.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Christian Ehrhoff is this year's Dan Hamhuis, he was dealt again today, this time to Buffalo. He turned down $5 mil (or around that), it'll be interesting to see if Buffalo can sign him. He and Regehr could make an interesting pairing.

Tomas Kopecky signs a 4 year, $12 million deal with Florida. If this is what the market is going to be for 35-40 point guys, there may be hope for Pouliot after all. Bad overpayment in my opinion.

Dwayne Roloson re-signs in Tampa, 1 year at $3 million. Good fit for both, avoids the 35+ clause.

Erhoff signs a 10 year/ $40M contract with Buffalo. The Sabres are shaping up to contend with their new owner.

I dont get WTF Philly is trying to do

They get rid of Carter and Richards because of locker room issues, ok, I can understand that.. but then why on Earth do they turn arround and sign one of the biggest prima dona ever in Jagr? Isn't he one of the guys you would want most to stay away from if your goal is to clean up your locker room?

Plus, he's 39 and hasn't played an NHL game in 3 years. I'm not sure he will be really effective.

Canoe reports Connelly signed by Leafs. As much as I hate the leafs, this is a good signing if he can stay healthy. I don't know what Ottawa is doing but the rest of our division will give us all we can handle.

Canoe reports Connelly signed by Leafs. As much as I hate the leafs, this is a good signing if he can stay healthy. I don't know what Ottawa is doing but the rest of our division will give us all we can handle.

I don't get the hate that this deal is getting from most writers/fans around the league. It's a short-term deal which means if he gets hurt, they're not stuck with him for years. Yes, he's not a true #1 C but with all that cap space, they can justify overpaying a bit to get a short-term deal. If he stays healthy, he's a 60+ point C so it's a low-risk, high-reward deal. Good move in my books.

Heatley for Havlat ?!?!?!

WTF?

I know Heater was playing injured last playoffs, but is he really that much of a locker room cancer? Or did he request another trade? ;)

Of all the years since the lockout, I don't think I've seen as many quality older guys sitting on the market at this point. Players like Prospal, Morrison, Stillman, Hannan, etc. Even in recent years, most of those types have been snapped up within the first week or so. If that's the way it's going to be this summer, a smart team may be wise to wait until next month and get some of these types of players at a good discount.

Florida's been busy in the trade market today, making 3 minor deals. The biggest to me was acquiring Angelo Esposito for Kenndal McArdle, a 1st round bust for an older 1st round bust. Shockingly, McArdle isn't from Winnipeg, the Jets finally didn't trade for a local.

Still trying to find one good reason for the Avs NOT to send an offer sheet for Varlamov... Did he filled for abitration or what ?

Still trying to find one good reason for the Avs NOT to send an offer sheet for Varlamov... Did he filled for abitration or what ?

He hadn't filed, he was planning to go to the KHL, going to arbitration would have locked him in for sure with Washington. I suspect the reason is that they wanted to better control the draft picks they gave up. The 2nd rounder is Colorado's option (2012/13), such an option wouldn't have been made available to them via the offer sheet route. Plus, most GM's are fundamentally against giving offer sheets. Could they have gotten away with less of a return via offer sheet? Yep, which means one of the last two sentences has to be the reason, or their GM is nuts...I suppose that's an option too. :)

Cogliano to Ducks for a second rounder. Pretty cheap. :S

That's fair value for him. His best year was 4 years ago in his rookie season and has struggled to hit double digits in goals the last two. He needed a change of scenery for sure.

Nashville will unveil their new gold jersey tomorrow. I've seen what's supposed to be the jersey, we might have to tone down the colour on the TV when the Habs play in Nashville. It's not ugly looking independently but it's more yellow looking than gold...and yellow and hockey rarely mix. They're going with guitar-like numbering which is different, not sure I like it either.

He hadn't filed, he was planning to go to the KHL, going to arbitration would have locked him in for sure with Washington. I suspect the reason is that they wanted to better control the draft picks they gave up. The 2nd rounder is Colorado's option (2012/13), such an option wouldn't have been made available to them via the offer sheet route. Plus, most GM's are fundamentally against giving offer sheets. Could they have gotten away with less of a return via offer sheet? Yep, which means one of the last two sentences has to be the reason, or their GM is nuts...I suppose that's an option too. :)

Actually, going to arbitration would not have locked him up to Washington, it just would have provided a contract for him when he returned. Hudler filed for arbitration and then signed in the KHL. Arbitration takes you off the market to other NHL teams, it does not mean you've signed a contract. To the rest of the world, you're still a free agent without a contract.

Heatley for Havlat ?!?!?!

Does anyone else think that Minnesota won a bit there... I mean I do not like Heatley but look at the stats... plus Havlet`s injury history...

Minnesota really has changed their look eh?

Does anyone else think that Minnesota won a bit there... I mean I do not like Heatley but look at the stats... plus Havlet`s injury history...

Minnesota really has changed their look eh?

I like the deal more for SJ actually, largely because of the notable difference in salary. The Sharks needed to free up some space and wound up getting a somewhat comparable player for him. I think Havlat could thrive either alongside Pavelski or Thornton. Minnesota gets the bigger name guy so they do well in that deal too.

Under the 'interesting' category, Washington has placed Anton Gustafsson on buyout waivers (also known as $125 waivers). He has played a grand total of 0 NHL games since being a 1st rounder back in 2008 (he's only 21). That's the first instance I can think of where an AHL'er (who was loaned overseas no less last year) getting bought out at the NHL cap hit and it's for a fairly recent 1st rounder? How far has he fallen...

Well, that's one guy I got wrong. I believe I was pushing for him as the Habs pick that year (the one we traded for Tanguay). Injuries really screwed up the young Mr. Gustafsson.

Isles acquire Brian Rolston for Trent Hunter. Let's see, help a division rival re-sign their top player while adding on $3 million in payroll who is 38 and arguably about as good as the guy they gave up. I know they'll have another trade soon but this one's a head scratcher. That's what they go and spend their cap space on?

Isles acquire Brian Rolston for Trent Hunter. Let's see, help a division rival re-sign their top player while adding on $3 million in payroll who is 38 and arguably about as good as the guy they gave up. I know they'll have another trade soon but this one's a head scratcher. That's what they go and spend their cap space on?

*shrugs*

It's Garth Snow. QED. :)