Markov signs 3 year contract

ForumGhost

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Markov's injuries haven't been a reoccurance of the same injury. They have been very freaky incidents. Serge Savard wrote off Chelios similarly 20 years ago after he had a couple of knee operations thinking that he would be done like Bobby Orr. Chelios went on to play another 18 years and was still a norris winning defensemen. Wiz also has had a couple of major knee surgeries, those surgeries didn't slow him down any.

In the case of Markov, its a more of a matter of hoping he doesn't keep getting hit by freaky Koivu type injuries (and in his case cancer) that impacted Koivu, but really at this stage, Markov has looked good everytime he's come back. it's just that he has kept getting hit by another freaky injuries within a very short time of coming back from an injury.

Tearing a ligament is a serious, possibly career-ruining injury. Unless you're Josh Gorges, then you just ignore it.

No sense in giving a roster spot to Emelin, he's never played in North America. This way it's his to earn, and if he doesn't, well, see ya!

That's exactly what will happen: see ya! I'd rather Emelin than Spacek or Hamrlik.

So why isn't Markov's signing on TSN?

I don't get the Hamrlik hate. He has been the teams best defenseman for 2 years. I would have preffered to keep only one of Gill or Hammer, but if Wiz has priced himself out of competition, what do you do?

I'm sure i'm in the minority here but 5.5 and 6 mill for a guy that played 20 games or so in the last 2 years with a bad knee. that's crazy. I like Markov as a player and when healthy he is a top 10 d amn for sure but this one may come back to bite them.

i assume it will be

markov Gorges

Gill Subban

Spacek Yemelin and Weber

No room for Wiz or Hamrlik.

On average, but he played 45 games in 2010. Wisniewski has had 3 major knee surgeries before the age of 27 and nobody is hesitant to offer him big money. This is not 1980, players recover from reconstructive surgery.

If you allow Markov to hit the UFA market he likely gets $6M per and that could come back to bite them as well.

Both sides of the coin are a gamble.

On average, but he played 45 games in 2010. Wisniewski has had 3 major knee surgeries before the age of 27 and nobody is hesitant to offer him big money. This is not 1980, players recover from reconstructive surgery.

If you allow Markov to hit the UFA market he likely gets $6M per and that could come back to bite them as well.

Both sides of the coin are a gamble.

Wiz played 75 games last season and 69 games the season before that. He's shown that he's 'still got it' and isn't made of glass. Markov hasn't proven that yet. Any time somebody only manages to play 8 games in a season you have to wonder whether he'll be the same player when he comes back.

If the only reason for NOT doing that is Spacek, then that is not a reason at all. Do it and then find a way to dump Spacek or, worst case, buy him out. (Or am I screwing up yet again in my understanding of the CBA for players with Spacek's profile? :monkey: )

The Habs can buy out Spacek but the cap hit would remain in full. They'd pay the money the same way a standard buyout goes (2/3 over 2 years), but his cap hit would stay at $3.83.

So why isn't Markov's signing on TSN?

The deal's not done, not even close. The rumour has already been debunked by his agent (minutes after it came out) and considering the initial source, it wasn't worth getting excited over in the first place. Meehan said talks would continue at the draft so at this time, I wouldn't expect any news until Saturday unless one of the two sides has a change of heart on whatever the offer is currently. The good news is that he has spurned a lot of KHL offers so we shouldn't see him bolt back home which was at least a possibility before.

Wiz played 75 games last season and 69 games the season before that. He's shown that he's 'still got it' and isn't made of glass. Markov hasn't proven that yet. Any time somebody only manages to play 8 games in a season you have to wonder whether he'll be the same player when he comes back.

If I asked you if Wiz was made of glass after 2008 your answer may have been different.

It is a 50/50 risk. Markov leaving as a UFA and being healthy is just as great a risk.

If I asked you if Wiz was made of glass after 2008 your answer may have been different.

It is a 50/50 risk. Markov leaving as a UFA and being healthy is just as great a risk.

Because at the time he hadn't proven otherwise. Now he's been healthy for two years and has shown that the injuries haven't impaired his ability to play. Markov is still in the uncertainty phase.

And being major injury free in the past by no means gives you a free pass on not getting a career ending (or seriously derailing) injury at any time. Just something to keep in perspective.

The Habs will obviously sign Markov, and in my opinion it is absolutely the right move.

I do think that they should sign the Wiz as well. That gives us the very realizable potential to be the best in the major areas of defensemen, goaltending and special teams. With the right luck at forward, that gives us the opportunity to contend.

Vive les :habslogo:

Because at the time he hadn't proven otherwise. Now he's been healthy for two years and has shown that the injuries haven't impaired his ability to play. Markov is still in the uncertainty phase.

He hadn't, but it WAS the same decision then (mind you he was much younger).

The risk is equal on both sides, but we are commenting without any inside knowledge or injury reports. It comes down to what can I live with. Can I live with Markov returning and blowing out his knee in January more than I can live with him going to Detroit and putting up 65 points?

I want him back.

He hadn't, but it WAS the same decision then (mind you he was much younger).

The risk is equal on both sides, but we are commenting without any inside knowledge or injury reports. It comes down to what can I live with. Can I live with Markov returning and blowing out his knee in January more than I can live with him going to Detroit and putting up 65 points?

I want him back.

Obviously they should bring Markov back. I'm just pointing out that at the current moment he is less likely to stay healthy than Wiz is.

Yes, re-signing him is a no-brainer. Whether we should sign him at $5.something for 2 years or lock him up long-term at a slightly cheaper hit is a bit of a fine point, really. The NHL no longer allows obvious scam contracts (e.g., lock him up until age 50 at bring his cap hit down to $2 mil). So you're only going to realize minor cap savings by signing him until age 39. The real issue is whether we will lose him as a UFA when his contract expires at age 34. I don't see this as a serious risk, since he clearly is committed to playing here and as likely to win a Cup here as anywhere else. In two years' time, we will have a better bead on the extent of his health and any decline in his performance, so it's a reasonable move by the organization to seek a short-term deal now, if possible. But you know, if they lock him up I wouldn't rip out my hair either.

I am so happy about this....he wants to be here, he could have gotten more on the open market, glad the habs are retaining their home grown talent.

See nothing wrong with this deal.

Just dreaming about the D pairings...

Markov/PK

Wiz/Emelin

Gill/Gorges

Spacek

or

Markov/PK

Wiz/Hammer

Gill/Gorges

Spacek

I am very ok with this D corps.

3 year deal confirmed. markov signed. no idea on cap hit yet

$5.75M cap hit. $17.25M for 3 years.

I would have preferred a 2 year contract, but this is cheaper than what he could have gotten on the open market.

I am so happy about this....he wants to be here, he could have gotten more on the open market, glad the habs are retaining their home grown talent.

See nothing wrong with this deal.

Just dreaming about the D pairings...

Markov/PK

Wiz/Emelin

Gill/Gorges

Spacek

or

Markov/PK

Wiz/Hammer

Gill/Gorges

Spacek

I am very ok with this D corps.

Me too, very happy!

However, I see PK and Markov on 2 different pairings. Habs will have at least 2 D pairing with 1st-class weapons.

Now I'm looking forward to see if Emelin will be a marginal 7th dman or if he can prove himself capable of being a top 4 dman at the start of the year and play a regular shift with Markov.

Our PP and Cammalleri will improve greatly with Markov in the lineup, thus the Habs should have an even better regular season.

Me too, very happy!

However, I see PK and Markov on 2 different pairings. Habs will have at least 2 D pairing with 1st-class weapons.

Now I'm looking forward to see if Emelin will be a marginal 7th dman or if he can prove himself capable of being a top 4 dman at the start of the year and play a regular shift with Markov.

Our PP and Cammalleri will improve greatly with Markov in the lineup, thus the Habs should have an even better regular season.

He was barely that in the KHL, players generally don't get more ice time when they come to North America. He's a 3rd pairing guy to start the year with the potential to move up later on. There's nothing wrong with that either, I like the thought of having the youngsters ease in instead of counting on them to log big minutes right away. I think this may be it for the defencemen signings aside from another Picard-type player (or Picard himself re-signing) as a hedge against injury.

So with just under 15 million, we should have enough to sign Wiz at 4 to 4.5 with term, raise Gorges another million or so and bring in another top 6 forward, hopefully Gagne, Cole or Sturm for 4ish, give or take. Hell, if the rumors are true that Jagr would sign for 2.5 million, we could sign him as well. I dare you tell tell me that wouldn't be a contending team. If Wiz is a no-go, Bieksa, Brewer or Erhoff would each be equally as awesome.

Then, with Spacek, Jagr and Moen coming off the books for good the year after, we should have enough to sign Subban and Price to healthy contracts. Obviously I'm dreaming a little here, but it is financially feasible by my estimation.

good signing had to be done. Would have liked a little less money just due to injuries, but what the heck you can't not sign him so it is a must do. Ya know I just read that he was drafted as a centre man, hmmmmmmm? :habslogo: