Is there serious talk about moving Gomez?

REV-G

I read in a blog today that there are a couple of teams interested or open to taking on Scott Gomez and his contract. Does anyone know if this has any substance to it?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like Gomez, bad year and all and hope he has a wonderful year with us this year.

It's just a hunch about him. He's always seemed a pretty straight up guy. Hard not to like.

I read in a blog today that there are a couple of teams interested or open to taking on Scott Gomez and his contract. Does anyone know if this has any substance to it?

Every piece on it is being spurned from Renaud Lavoie's blog where he speculated there could be a potential fit. I put zero stock in this report.

I always liked Gomez, but there is every indication that he has not bought into Martin's system - which could in fact explain his wretched performance last season (i.e., he's on one page, his linemates in any given game are on another). My theory is that he will only bounce back if he is prepared to buy in. Is he? We won't know until next season.

A Gomez who birngs his 'A' game is an elite playmaker with a tremendous rushing/transition game. A Gomez who does not bring his 'A' game is one of the worst second-line C in hockey. In either case he's overpaid, but in the latter case, he is a truly ridiculous waste of cap space.

If there is interest, I think he should be traded. His contract is the single biggest barrier to the Habs becoming a truly elite team. The problem consists in finding a replacement. In another thread, I discussed the possibility of a platoon (e.g., Connolly-Eller-Desharnais all spelling each other off). Brook Laich would be another possibility, not an elite offensive player but perhaps a better 'fit' than Gomez.

In the end, I think I'd prefer that the Habs move Gomez and then work on replacing him, than keep Gomez and hope he works out. The benefit of that cap space would allow us to, say, re-sign Wiz, or be ready to add almost any player(s) we like going forward. The risk is that we throw away a chance to contend in 2012 because we don't have an answer for the second-line C position.

Every piece on it is being spurned from Renaud Lavoie's blog where he speculated there could be a potential fit. I put zero stock in this report.

It is logical though. It's not secret that there are more than a few teams struggling to meet the cap floor, and contracts like Gomez's is the easiest and best way to do it. I firmly believe Gomez is more tradable now than ever before.

Now, should PG get rip of Gomez if he could? I'm not convinced.

It is logical though. It's not secret that there are more than a few teams struggling to meet the cap floor, and contracts like Gomez's is the easiest and best way to do it. I firmly believe Gomez is more tradable now than ever before.

Now, should PG get rip of Gomez if he could? I'm not convinced.

Chris Drury is the easiest way to get to the floor for teams who need to get to the floor and want to be cheap. Drury may not play at all this year due to injury which precludes a buyout which means insurance would cover some of the salary and whoever got him just wouldn't put him on LTIR (like the Isles did with Streit last year). He's also on the last year of his deal which will entice some teams. (He could screw the Rangers over and invoke his NMC but I don't see that happening). I think unless a team is bringing in a player with a lot of upside (such as Campbell, overpaid but he becomes Florida's #1 D pretty much), they'll be looking at bringing in expirings for pennies on the dollar (such as late picks, career AHL'ers, etc).

Like CC, I also like Gomez, and I think he is talented and would be hard to replace, but ONLY if he has a comeback-breakthrough year and not a repeat of last year. Let's face it, if he gives us a repeat of last year, either because of not buying into JM's system or because he's just declining each year, then he won't be that hard to replace. With the money we'd save on the cap hit we could certainly improve our team big time.

So while I like Gomez, I hope for a trade, although I'm not holding my breath!

I think we would be dumping Gomez at the worse time.

1. He is coming off his worse season. I don't expect him to be Crosby next year, but odds are he will be better.

2. We have no one to replace him. We are not very deep at center.

Unless we have a line on a number one center, we are better off hoping Gomez rebounds. If not, next year he is easy to get rid of and there may be more top centers kicking around to replace him. The fact that Carter and Richards were attainable surprised me. Next year, Pitts could be dumping one of those talented centers, probably Malkin.

My worry of fans is they think dumping Gomez will instantly impact the habs in a positive way, there's no way to say for sure, it could end up back firing. Say the habs dump Gomez, the habs have all this cash and then they cannot sign anyone...they would look rather foolish I think.

I agree. Unless there is a suitable 2nd line centre to take his place, this year may not be a good time to trade him. But if it meant signing Wiz and Laich, maybe it would be a good idea.

I love Gomez the guy, but Gomez the hockey player would probably best be suited elsewhere. Trade him and try to sign somebody. If not then give the role to Eller and let him develop.

My outrageous predicition... Tampa Bay signs Stamkos to a huge contract and has to move some salary. Montreal moves Gomez and brings Lecavalier home.

Just a hunch...

My worry of fans is they think dumping Gomez will instantly impact the habs in a positive way, there's no way to say for sure, it could end up back firing. Say the habs dump Gomez, the habs have all this cash and then they cannot sign anyone...they would look rather foolish I think.

Yea and I worry the sky is falling. I guess you are prepared to throw another year away. I happen to agree with CC than when he is off he is the worst second line center in hockey. I have said that he is a third line center getting first line money. You don't need to replace what you think he should bring, you need to replace what he is bring. My gut feeling, is that nothing will happen and Pax Man will bring enough to put Gomez back in mix as respectable second center. I can only hope. We could do so much better.

I love Gomez the guy, but Gomez the hockey player would probably best be suited elsewhere. Trade him and try to sign somebody. If not then give the role to Eller and let him develop.

My outrageous predicition... Tampa Bay signs Stamkos to a huge contract and has to move some salary. Montreal moves Gomez and brings Lecavalier home.

Just a hunch...

God, I cannot tell you how much I do not want Lecavalier now.

Gomez will have a better year next season. He will still be over paid, but I expect a healthy Markov, Max playing all year and some power play points will bring his numbers up nicely. Don't expect 90 or 100 points, but I would count on 50 or 60. His time to go will be next year. He neexs to quit being so damn predictable though.

Yea and I worry the sky is falling. I guess you are prepared to throw another year away. I happen to agree with CC than when he is off he is the worst second line center in hockey. I have said that he is a third line center getting first line money. You don't need to replace what you think he should bring, you need to replace what he is bring. My gut feeling, is that nothing will happen and Pax Man will bring enough to put Gomez back in mix as respectable second center. I can only hope. We could do so much better.

Players do have bad years, addition by subtraction will not work in this instance I firmly believe. How many times did Gomez lay a perfect pass to his winger only to have them brick on the shot? Moen played a great deal on the 2nd line, he's not a 2nd line player. How many times did Gionta fan on a nice pass from Gomez? People are too blinded by the money, drop Gomez, and then who would you sign? I'd really like to hear a solution.

I believe Gomez just had an off year, his play was erratic, but so was Gionta, and Cammy, I see no one mentioning their big contracts. Just be careful what you wish for.

On the Lecav talk, there is no way he would manage in Montreal, he would wilt under the french (and english) media, I'd take Gomez over Lecav ANY day.

I would hold on to him for one more season. The financial landscape is not going to change and with half the teams under the salary floor his contract will be easy to unload in 2011.

http://www.habseyesontheprize.com/2011/6/22/2238529/can-scott-gomez-be-traded-next-summer

Lecavalier played great in the playoffs. He'd bring WAY more to the ice than Gomez does.

Absolutely but he'd also bring a larger cap hit and a much longer-term deal. Couple that with what would instantly become a pressure cooker that we've never seen in the modern era and it's a disaster waiting to happen. There's a reason that Lecavalier has been on the block several times before and that no one has made a pitch for him, he simply has too long of an albatross contract. At least with Gomez, it's only 3 more years.

Absolutely but he'd also bring a larger cap hit and a much longer-term deal. Couple that with what would instantly become a pressure cooker that we've never seen in the modern era and it's a disaster waiting to happen. There's a reason that Lecavalier has been on the block several times before and that no one has made a pitch for him, he simply has too long of an albatross contract. At least with Gomez, it's only 3 more years.

Well...there WAS the terrifying rumour that Gainey had offered a package including Price and Subban for Lecavalier and that the deal was only nixed by Tampa ownership... :ph34r:

Well...there WAS the terrifying rumour that Gainey had offered a package including Price and Subban for Lecavalier and that the deal was only nixed by Tampa ownership... :ph34r:

I thought the conspiracy theory was that Bettman vetoed it as it would have lowered TB's market value when the team was up for sale. That offer came before his insane extension though so I don't count that in my previous statement. Since his extension, there have been no serious takers.

I thought it was Price/Plekanec. Either way, once again would prove that sometimes you need to be lucky.

drop Gomez, and then who would you sign? I'd really like to hear a solution.

Modano would work for a year. Andy Macdonald would work. Chris Higgins would be interesting. Mike Rupp maybe. Steen or Stajan. Chris Kelly. Wojtek Wolski. Handzus. You already have Eller, who is hurt, which is a bit of problem. You pick one of these guys and add to Eller and Desharnais and you easily cover off Gomez. There are more names out there. All you are really looking for is enough depth to get you through the year.

P.S. I don't know what you were looking at this year, but I seen more gift passes going to the opposition than his wing mates.

I thought it was Price/Plekanec. Either way, once again would prove that sometimes you need to be lucky.

Damn, Bob was desperate for a C. Between these Tampa rumours and the eventual Gomez deal, the league clearly had us by the shorthairs. That's EXACTLY the mentality you don't want to have when you're shopping around. It's like begging a car dealer to please sell you that used Chevy Optra.

BlueKross is right. If we're willing to go 'platoon,' we *could* find a number of options in terms of replacing Gomez, especially if you keep in mind that he only got 38 points last season. Almost ANY alternative would represent a significant offensive improvement to a team that was pretty damned good last season. In one sense we're in a win-win here: don't move him, we have a reasonable chance of a bounce-back season and a very good chance to move him next summer; do move him, you open up tons of options cap-wise and at worst end up with a lateral move at his position, relative to last season.