UFA Day Discussion

dlbalr

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It sounds like he gave every indication early on that he was planning to stay out West. Whether the Habs found that out by contacting him directly, hard to guess.

I had him well ahead of Cole, so you got to wonder if Cole money would redirect his thinking. I think he must of taken a West Coast discount.

I had him well ahead of Cole, so you got to wonder if Cole money would redirect his thinking. I think he must of taken a West Coast discount.

There's no way I'm giving Handzus, a 30-40 point C, Cole type money. He has slowed down a lot in recent years. I like him at the 2.5 he got, not much more though as his ideal role now is probably a 3rd line C.

There's no way I'm giving Handzus, a 30-40 point C, Cole type money. He has slowed down a lot in recent years. I like him at the 2.5 he got, not much more though as his ideal role now is probably a 3rd line C.

Your absolutely right. I was looking at numbers from a year ago and fell into trap of looking for players to legitamately replace you know who. Unfortunely we all know the bar is not very high there. I am thinking that the rangers who now have Richards have a glut of centers. I am not convinced we are that deep there, maybe someone is freed up.

Well Richards in New York.

SO, Flordia, Philly and New York are looking stronger... or atleased different in some cases.

LA seems like a power house, but they are out west.

What do people think?

The worst deal of the day goes to Colorado!

A first (probably a high pick) and a second for Varlamov is insane!!!!!!!!

This could top the stupid Kessel trade by Burke. I can't believe that varmalov.went for a 1st and second when two years ago we were looking at a 4th for halak. Don't know why colorado didn't just get Vokum. They already made a dumb move at the end of last year. I think a year from now they'll have a new GM.

Richards gets $24 million in the first 2 years of the deal. Buffalo opened up a whole new can of worms with their Ehrhoff deal.

Ian White to Detroit, 2 years, $5.75 M total. Another move that makes a lot of sense.

Vokoun to Washington for 1 year and 1.5 mil. Now that's a bargain, even better considering what they got for Varlamov yesterday.

Great signing for Washington, but I don't understand what Vokoun is up to. Surely he could have gotten better.

Great signing for Washington, but I don't understand what Vokoun is up to. Surely he could have gotten better.

He overpriced himself big time figuring one of Colorado/Phoenix would be desperate for him. He gambled wrong and with most of the backup jobs locked up too, he didn't have much choice.

He overpriced himself big time figuring one of Colorado/Phoenix would be desperate for him. He gambled wrong and with most of the backup jobs locked up too, he didn't have much choice.

So basically Washington got a 1st, a 2nd AND Vokum for Vharmalov. How stupid is the GM in Colorado???? First they traded Stewart and now gave up TWO picks - the #1 has the possibility of being a top 3 pick. All for a guy who may play in russia and still has to prove himself as a number #1 :monkey:

So far Washington looks like the big winner of free agency, they did the smartest moves. Colorado and Philly have to be kicking themselves right now.

Nice to see two small market teams in Columbus and Buffalo actually signing guys too. These 2 teams looks significantly improved.

It wouldn't be UFA period without a big contract being handlded by the NYR but compare to what they paid in the past, what they gave Richards actually looks reasonable. I tought he would make the bank explode more than that, considering he was the only real superstar forward avaible.

Scratch Simon Gagné off the list: $7M for 2 years in LA

that looks like a great signing to me. When he is healthy he is a game changer. The only con is his health and how good it is.

Vokun is a huge pickup for Washington...and at an unbelievable price. To the degree that netminding was a major reason for Washington's failure to take it to the next level, that's a very significant shift in the playoff balance in the East.

Vokun is a huge pickup for Washington...and at an unbelievable price. To the degree that netminding was a major reason for Washington's failure to take it to the next level, that's a very significant shift in the playoff balance in the East.

And compare this to the way Philly settled the same problem.

1.5M for Vokoun vs 51M for Bryzgalov.

Anthony Stewart to Carolina - 2 years, 1.8m total.

40pt guy, fights, grinds, and can score better than Travis Moen...what a deal right there.

I think we missed out on that big time.

Anthony Stewart to Carolina - 2 years, 1.8m total.

40pt guy, fights, grinds, and can score better than Travis Moen...what a deal right there.

I think we missed out on that big time.

Again, most think that early season surge was a complete fluke. We'll see if he can keep it up. Good for him for reviving a completely comatose career long enough to earn some actual money.

So basically Washington got a 1st, a 2nd AND Vokum for Vharmalov. How stupid is the GM in Colorado???? First they traded Stewart and now gave up TWO picks - the #1 has the possibility of being a top 3 pick. All for a guy who may play in russia and still has to prove himself as a number #1 :monkey:

That deal is looking better and better for Washington who basically replaces the 1st they gave up for Troy Brouwer (which was a bit of a head scratcher itself). The Varlamov to the KHL reports can be set aside though as he signed a 2 year deal with the Avs, the exact structure of the deal that Carey Price is playing on right now.

Not sure where to put this signing, but Brock Trotter signed a 1 year, two-way deal. He will need to pass through waivers to play in the AHL.

So... Habs or Dogs?

With all the hometown players the Jets signed today i could not help to point there

that Trotter has more offensive upside than any of these players, Rypien, Jones.

Trotter only reason to come back in America is to try out there. He knows they will make

no room for him even if he has a fantastic camp.

So a trade for a 4th round pick or loose him for nothing after the demotion to AHL.

With all the hometown players the Jets signed today i could not help to point there

that Trotter has more offensive upside than any of these players, Rypien, Jones.

Trotter only reason to come back in America is to try out there. He knows they will make

no room for him even if he has a fantastic camp.

So a trade for a 4th round pick or loose him for nothing after the demotion to AHL.

Most of the guys Winnipeg signed have a connection as they played for the Moose last season. So far, this management group seems to be doing everything it can to get as many guys they're familiar with around above all else which isn't a smart way to go. Since Trotter hasn't played for Manitoba in the past, I don't think they'd be interested.

Not sure where to put this signing, but Brock Trotter signed a 1 year, two-way deal. He will need to pass through waivers to play in the AHL.

So... Habs or Dogs?

Just to piggyback off this, the contract is for $550,000 in the NHL and $105,000 in the AHL meaning re-entry waivers will not be required.