UFA Day Discussion

dlbalr

I was just going to write that if they manage to sign a bigger name like Cole, it won't be on Montreal's terms, a 2 year deal. We had that luxury with Markov because of his injuries but Cole could command a 4 year deal and 4 million dollars.

4.5 is an overpayment but that's how UFA works. You overpay and figure that it's better to give Cole an extra million than to have no Cole at all. Same strategy that got us Gionta, Hamrlik, Gomez, arguably Cammalleri, and others.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BAM. :thumbs_up:

Every year fans go ballistic about 'overpaying' for this guy or that guy. I think this is way overblown. BTH is exactly right. You identify the guy you want and you FRIGGING GO GET HIM, which is what EVERY elite team does. Cole addresses the longstanding need for a forward with size who can score. Habs fans should be excited. Instead we get cramps of anxiety because he's moderately overpaid.

Good move Goat!!

Wonder what Subban and Price wants next year and how much we have. THATS what Im thinking of when seeing us sign players thats borderline top6 forwards for 4.5M/year for 4 years.

Regardless of cap hit, we now have a 20 goal scorer, whether it's Kostitsyn or Cole, on the third line and that offensive depth will be immeasurable.

Our top 6 looks pretty nice right now.

Just mapping this out quickly:

Cole-Plekanec-Cammalleri

Pacioretty-Gomez-Gionta

Eller-Desharnais-Kostitsyn

That's a pretty deep top 9. They might still want to sign a veteran 4th line C similar to Halpern.

I hope that deal doesn't happen. Hemsky is way too soft. I watch a lot of Oilers hockey and would have loved Hemsky and his 45 games per year previous to signing the Cammy, Gomer and Gionta, bit I don't like the trade.

BTW, my comment was not to say Cole is overpaid. He is, but I'm glad we acquired him...slightly worried about age, though, with it being a 4 yr deal.

I had the exact same thought here as I did when the Habs signed Hamrlik - 1 year too long, but necessary to get him.

UPDATE: Pouliot now honourable player according to Milan Lucic and Jack Edwards. Also, he never dives.

:lol: And they oughtta know, because any team with Brad Marchand on it is the epitome of class. If only Subban could learn from his sterling example. And oh yeah, some skin-bleaching products would help.