UFA Day Discussion

dlbalr

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ville Leino: career high 19 goals. Signed for $4.5m. Erik Cole scored 26 last year, same money.

Makes the Cole deal look a little better though I'd suggest Leino, 27, has a bit of upside still whereas Cole probably isn't going to go have a career year at the age of 33 next season.

Marco Sturm, waived last year (after being dealt for practically nothing), signs for $2.25 million months later. Yep, overpaying is alive and well today.

Makes the Cole deal look a little better though I'd suggest Leino, 27, has a bit of upside still whereas Cole probably isn't going to go have a career year at the age of 33 next season.

That's true, but Leino has 30 goals IN HIS CAREER. And is 27. Cole's career high is 30 goals.

Cole played the toughest minutes in Carolina, still scored 22 goals at even strength. Leino played soft minutes in Philly.

Taking into account Gorges signing for around 3 million, and Ryan White getting around $600,000, Habs have about 4.5 million left to spend.

The Habs will probably want to keep a cushion in case of injury, while there has been no word on how much the Habs will be penalized for overspending on the cap last year (and they did, with Eller/Weber's bonuses, some of which were hit...though not many in all likelihood). I'd probably cut that number down to $3 M, allowing for a late Halpern-like signing in September if someone they wanted falls through the cracks.

That's true, but Leino has 30 goals IN HIS CAREER. And is 27. Cole's career high is 30 goals.

Cole played the toughest minutes in Carolina, still scored 22 goals at even strength. Leino played soft minutes in Philly.

To be fair, Leino has been a full time NHL'er for all of 2 seasons, one of which he was a frequent scratch so it's tough to use his career goals as a barometer. That's why I think there's upside, though if he was a healthy scratch last year, it's even worse that he got what he did...

1.65 for Souray. Sometimes the best move a GM makes is the one he doesn't make. His stock dropped imediately after he left Mtl. It will be interesting to see if Wiz can earn his 5+ mil.

Fleischmann to Florida for the same deal Cole got. I'm starting to feel better about this Cole deal every minute now. I've lost track on how many guys have signed with/been traded to Florida today, they've been busy.

Edit: Here's who they've signed/acquired:

Forwards

Fleischmann

Versteeg

Goc

Upshall

Defence

Jovanovski

Yonkman

Goalie

Theodore

Sanford to Columbus, thought he'd wind up back with Hamilton next year. Interesting development.

Plenty of pickin's on the goalie market, no? Totally replaceable in Hamitlon

Fleischmann to Florida for the same deal Cole got. I'm starting to feel better about this Cole deal every minute now. I've lost track on how many guys have signed with/been traded to Florida today, they've been busy.

Edit: Here's who they've signed/acquired:

Forwards

Fleischmann

Versteeg

Goc

Upshall

Defence

Jovanovski

Yonkman

Goalie

Theodore

Also Mike Kosta.

Yesterday they acquired the rights to Kopecky and signed him too. And at the draft they added Brian Campbell.

From what I hear, and the little I have seen of him, I would really like to see Konopka in a Habs jersey

I watched a lot of Cole in Edmonton. I wasn't overly impressed. Maybe he would be a better fit in Mtl.

Ok get Konopka and Cole and call er a day. This is easy

Plenty of pickin's on the goalie market, no? Totally replaceable in Hamitlon

He was one of the better options out there actually, especially since the Habs have been going for high end AHL veterans which there aren't many of this time. Last July 1, Sanford did the same thing, tested the market before re-signing, I figured the same was going to happen this time.

I missed most of the afternoon. Are we out on Richards? I read on RDS that we are not in contention, but others say we are still on the top 5.

I don't think the Habs were ever 'in'. Sure, they sent a representative to talk to him in person but their presentation was very short compared to others. I think they threw their hat in the ring, were politely told that Richards was going another direction, so they turned their focus to Cole.

I missed most of the afternoon. Are we out on Richards? I read on RDS that we are not in contention, but others say we are still on the top 5.

I have no idea, but I'd consider the Kosty-for-Hemsky rumour much more believable.

What's the source of that rumour?

Chris on this thread, as far as I can see :lol:

In fairness, though, Hemsky's been linked via rumour to the Habs for at least a couple of years now - which is often a sign that there's at least a bit of fire behind the smoke.