Habs sign Erik Cole. 4 years/$18M

jmaac1

He will also undoubtedly be helpful to Max's development and possibly Kostitsyn's too. With Cole here we have three solid lines.

Completely agree with you on that! Cole will definitely help Pacioretty get better as a power forward in this league!

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some contract info as it comes through:

Cole received a $3 M signing bonus when he signed and will earn a $3 M salary this season. In 2011-12 (the possible lockout year), he gets a $2 M signing bonus and a $2 M salary. The final 2 years of the deal, he gets $4 million. His NTC is also a full one for the duration of his contract.

Kostitsyn also uses his size and hits more than most forwards; but not quite as much as Cole i dont think.

To bad for Pouliot, but Martin refused to play him, so might as well let him go.

This is the first big winger that actually uses his size that we have had in a long time. We need Cole regardless of his contract. He will also undoubtedly be helpful to Max's development and possibly Kostitsyn's too. With Cole here we have three solid lines.

As for Pouliot, I think that there is more to the story than just his play. Being in the press-box for most of the playoffs says there is something wrong.

Some contract info as it comes through:

Cole received a $3 M signing bonus when he signed and will earn a $3 M salary this season. In 2011-12 (the possible lockout year), he gets a $2 M signing bonus and a $2 M salary. The final 2 years of the deal, he gets $4 million. His NTC is also a full one for the duration of his contract.

That NTC clause is a bit sh*tty, especially considering that Cole said he was surprised to get one - meaning he didn't expect to get one. As everyone says, this contract will probably look fairly bad on the back end, but there's a good chance of 2-3 impact seasons coming from it. That's the nature of the UFA beast (unless your name is Vokun).

I've been moving so I haven't had much of a chance to post on this. I love this signing. After Brooks Laich was reupped by the Caps, the 2nd best RW (and can play LW) was Cole. I'm not worried about him being injury prone. He had the vertabrae issue in 2006 and he had I think an MCL problem but has been dependable beyond that. Now we have 2 power forwards (arguably 3 if we include AK46)

What's not to like?:thumbs_up::)

• 2 weeks later...

I find it strange that people are so worried about the last year of his contract... its not like its Gomez's 7 million this year. His salary will not stop the team from doing anything in his last year whatsoever.

I think this is EXACTLY what we needed to do and would was ecstatic when I heard this, you need too take risks in this league if you are going to advance, and honestly this is not a big one.

I find it strange that people are so worried about the last year of his contract... its not like its Gomez's 7 million this year. His salary will not stop the team from doing anything in his last year whatsoever.

I'm not as worried in the sense that his deal could be prohibitive in terms of making other moves (although under a new CBA, who knows) but more like we've seen with Spacek and to a lesser degree, Hamrlik last year. What was the common thread with Spacek all of last year? If it wasn't for that last year... . I think we could see that happen with Cole although he's a forward compared to the aforementioned defencemen.

He wont be 43 in his last year, he will be 37ish. Not that old in todays hockey.

That depends on the type of player. I'd say 37 for the role Cole is supposed to play is definitely the tail end of his career.

That depends on the type of player. I'd say 37 for the role Cole is supposed to play is definitely the tail end of his career.

Deffinatly the tail end, power forwards that come too mind, LeClair, Tocchet and Shanahan. Were 38, 38 and 40. Messier was 43 but... thats Messier...

So, he might retire after the contract, but he would still be a solid role player though. Sure he would be an overpaid role player, but I think he will be putting up numbers close too 20 goals... 15-18 kinda thing.

Plus he will be an excellent mentor and a good guy in the room. I have no problems with this contract what so ever.

Many thought that about Recchi and Roberts too. I guess we will have to wait and see.