A Suggestion for Halpern's Replacement

habscout

How about Phillipe Dupuis ?

Pros: He's a decent defensive forward, good work ethic, good on faceoffs, can play wing and center,

Cons: Average sized, limited offensive skill, only 86 NHL games under his belt.

Sounds look a good 4th liner to me. He was only making the league minimum last season, and the Avs didn't qualify him. Unless the guy has some terrible habits or attitude, I'd say it's worth offering him the equivalent of a qualifying offer.

http://www.forecaster.ca/thestar/hockey/player.cgi?3552

Right cheap probably, but he doesn't have the size/physicality to make up for his low scoring.

I always am a fan of signing french players though.

He's the type of player I could see the Habs looking at on a two-way deal, a veteran who can play in Hamilton (assuming he clears waivers) to start but brings some intangibles that could come in handy should injuries arise midseason.

If all they need is a Halpern replacement, why didn't they keep Halpern?

I have been wondering that myself...

He didn't sign for much and was an ace faceoff man (when playing center) I do not know why he left.

I don't think the Habs made him an offer. From the praise that Martin has heaped on Engqvist, I think he's more than comfortable penciling him onto that 4th line role where his size and faceoff skills (though not as good as Halpern) would be useful. I feel the Habs should still look to bring in a replacement as there are some good depth guys out there still but Engqvist's presence is what I think allowed them to let Halpern go.

I don't think the Habs made him an offer. From the praise that Martin has heaped on Engqvist, I think he's more than comfortable penciling him onto that 4th line role where his size and faceoff skills (though not as good as Halpern) would be useful. I feel the Habs should still look to bring in a replacement as there are some good depth guys out there still but Engqvist's presence is what I think allowed them to let Halpern go.

I have read your article on remaining free agents. I would be careful with how many guys you sign, because the Canadians have a history of not playing their 21,22,23 guys on a regular basis. After practising with the team all year, these players get agitated and have become distractions around X-Mas time. Secondly I do believe that one of the defenseman, Weber probably, will be playing a lot of wing. It would be nice to have somebody that could actually win a draw. To add a little grit, Jacques or Winchester types would be nice but that isn't in Martins MO.

Why not sign Chris Drury? Not sure what kind of money he will get? I would nt mind seeing Mara get a 2 way contract also, need someone on the back end to drop the gloves.

How much would command John Madden ?