NBA Playoffs

Leafs Suck

Just a few games left in the season but the playoff teams have all but been determinded.

Memphis needs a win or a Minny loss to clinch a spot. Wow the T-Wolves sure had a dissipointing season. First place last year to outta the playoff this year. Damn.

Cleveland and Philly are tied for 7th in the East. However Jersey has 4 games left, including VC returing to TO tonight and a huge game against the 6ers on Sunday.

Matchups right now are:

Miami vs Cleveland

Detroit vs Philly

Boston vs Washington

Chicago vs Indiana

Phoenix vs Memphis

San Antonio vs Denver

Seattle vs Houston

Dallas vs Sacramento.

I know Ribeiro doesn't post here any more, but I still wanted to point out that I was once again right, while he was wrong. As I predicted, the Lakers will not be making the playoffs this year, proving they are not a good "team" and were simply carried by Shaq and Kobe.

MVP: Shaq (Cannot make a case against him)

Rookie of the Year: Emeka (Averaging a double-double)

Top Defensive Player: Bowen (Best defensive player on the best defensive team)

6th Man: Gordon

Most Improved: Amare

Comeback of the Year: Grant Hill (No question)

Best Coach: Phoenix's coach (Cant remember his name)

Worst Coach: Brendan Malone (Cavs have been horrible since he took over)

Best GM: NJ's GM for stealing VC from a foolish Babcock

Worst GM: Rob Babcock (It's not even close)

Best Trade: VC to New Jersey (A steal)

Biggest Suprise Team: Chicago (Started 0-9, now have home-court advantage)

Biggest Dissipointment Team: T-Wolves (Major changes coming)

Biggest Suprise Player: Nash (Went from good PG to MVP candinate)

Biggest Dissipointment Player: Kobe (Said the Lakers were now his team... 34 wins later and we're waiting...)

Worst Free-Agent signing: Rafer Alston

Biggest Joke: The Knicks

Biggest Black-Eyes: Idiot Piston fans fighting with idiot Pacer players

<i>MVP: Shaq (Cannot make a case against him) </i>

You sure? Because when i look at Steve Nash and the Suns i'm seeing an improvement from a record of 29-53 to a record of 60-19. The suns went from 13th place in the west to 1st place in the west. The Heat went from 42-40 and 4th place in the East to a record of 56-23 and 1st place in the East.

Without Shaq the Heat would have made the playoffs this year. The same can't be said about the Suns, as they proved that without Nash they are a lost team. When Nash was injured for one four game stretch, the Suns lost all four games and the production of his teamates plummeted. In fact, in the 8 games where Nash did not lead the Suns in assists this season (either due to injury or otherwise) Phoenix was just 3-5.

[Edited on 16/4/05 by Quebecois]

Nash is my fav player, but Shaq's gotta win it. I mean he's just too good. With the Suns, I don't think it's as much Nash as it is others have emerged. Stoudamire, Marion, Richardson have all had career years. Nash would be #2 on my list. I know where Phoenix was last year but like I said it has as much to do with Nash as it does with the improvment of the others.

• 3 weeks later...

Nash wins MVP!

I don't want to hear about his defensive problems, he deserves this. He almost single handedly turned the team around from a basement dweller to the top team in the West.

I think we can safely say that Nash will win Canadian Athlete of the year.

:can::can::can:

Eventhough I would have voted for Shaq, I am still thrilled to see Kid Canada win.

As far as male athlete of the year, it's not a lock. Didn't Mike Weir get snubbed the year he won the Masters? Can't remember who won that year but Eric Gagne didn't either (eventhough he dominated pitching). Whoever votes for the award sure hates to give it to pro athletes.

Even last year, Martin St.Louis could easily have won it yet was never strongly considered.

Nash could face the same fate as St.Louis, win the MVP and a championship (hopefully since I picked Phoenix in my pool) and get snubbed for the Lou Marsh award.

<i>Nash could face the same fate as St.Louis, win the MVP and a championship (hopefully since I picked Phoenix in my pool) and get snubbed for the Lou Marsh award.

</i>

But they've always been pretty reluctant to give it to NHL players because Canada has produced so many good ones, if they gave it to any Canadian who wins the Hart Trophy, the Lou Marsh would be given to a hockey player 80% or more of the time.

BTW Mike Weir did win the Lou Marsh in 2003 over Eric Gagne.

Also Nash has already won the award in 2002 as a co-winner with Marc Gagnon.

[Edited on 7/5/05 by Quebecois]

Originally posted by Fanpuck33

That's ridiculous that Gange didn't win it on 2003, he had the best season of any closer EVER!

Weir did win the masters, and a few other PGA events that year. His Masters win was the greatest Canadian golf victory ever, and the first Canadian to win a major. On the other hand, a Canadian had won the Cy Young before in baseball (Fergie Jenkins 1971). That probably had something to do with the voting for the Lou Marsh award...

But yeah, Gagne did have a great season that year.

[Edited on 2005-5-9 by puck7x]

Originally posted by Leafs Suck

Best GM: NJ's GM for stealing VC from a foolish Babcock

Worst GM: Rob Babcock (It's not even close)

Best Trade: VC to New Jersey (A steal)

Worst Free-Agent signing: Rafer Alston

Do you see the Raptors turning it around any time soon?

Only way the Raps even come close to making the playoffs next year is if they make some solid draft picks who can step right in (alla Chicago Bulls this year with Gordon, Deng and Duhon), and maybe signing an agressive veteran rebounder. Someone like Charles Oakley. They lack alot of character and leadership. Things just haven't been the same since Oak left.

• 5 weeks later...

Spurs or Pistons?

Gotta go with the Spurs, as I hate the Pistons. I thought the Pistons did things the right way, playing as a team. However, watching them a few times I realized they are nothing more than thugs. They win by playing hard and getting away with contact. The NBA is ridiculous in terms of contact, and the Pistons are some of the worst offenders. I also don't care much for the city, and I hate the fans.