Gorges files for Arbitration, signs 1-year, $2.5M contract

ForumGhost

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a bit of a bargaining chip for Gorges.

However, he can't be traded nor tendered an offer sheet from another team... so until his arbitration ruling, he is not going anywhere.

i love it cause he ain't going anywhere. PG is not dum enough to let him go and he isn't crazy enough to ask for the moon. this almost guarantees he will be signed. thank god allah or whoever

Love Gorges heart and effort and he will get signed soon, but if happens to get packaged and traded, wouldnt be a big hole to fill (wont happen but). If Gauthier was offered a Ekman-Larsson or someone similar in a deal, Josh and whomever should be shipped off quickly (other than Subban and Price i would trade anyone for younger talent).

But, deal will be done before July 20th and the way salaries are being handed out, he may even get $3.5/year or more and i bet a fairly long deal of 5 years and $16.5m, my guess (i had earlier thought he would be below $3/year)

i love it cause he ain't going anywhere. PG is not dum enough to let him go and he isn't crazy enough to ask for the moon. this almost guarantees he will be signed. thank god allah or whoever

Love Gorges heart and effort and he will get signed soon, but if happens to get packaged and traded, wouldnt be a big hole to fill (wont happen but). If Gauthier was offered a Ekman-Larsson or someone similar in a deal, Josh and whomever should be shipped off quickly (other than Subban and Price i would trade anyone for younger talent).

But, deal will be done before July 20th and the way salaries are being handed out, he may even get $3.5/year or more and i bet a fairly long deal of 5 years and $16.5m, my guess (i had earlier thought he would be below $3/year)

O_O Are you kidding?

Gorges should have filed. I don't blame him. His NHL market value is 3 million floor. 4 or more ceiling. We've all seen the human eraser take it away against 2 attackers down low (double teamed) and he takes it away and distributes the puck or carries it out again and again. Night in, night out! Maybe he does it in his sleep. He's also punishing with his checks since he tends to finish them with a powerful hip so opponents fall. THN called him the 6th best defensive D in the NHL 2 years ago (Liddy was number 1) and Gorges hasn't lost a beat after that assessment.

Too bad he can't hit the broadside of a barn with his shots :lol:

GORGES IS ONE OF MY FAVS! CAPTAIN KELOWNA !

No not kidding one bit, again; i love his play and heart; however he is smallish, dosent clear front of net, dosent hit, dosent score, dosent fight, so to replace a smart shot blocker not that big a deal. Re-sign Komisarik would do it (even if he is a big loud-mouthed pussy)..

Hey, just my opinion, when Gorges went down hurt the PK suffered for a bit, but not significantly, never gave up 1 PP goal vs Bruins (i know it was the Bruins,but still).

O_O Are you kidding?

Gorges has more intangibles than just shot blocking. He takes hits behind his goalie and comes out with the puck consistently. On two on ones and one on ones his angles and decisions are almost always correct. He doesn't take himself out of position to hit someone. Positionally he is very strong and that counts for a lot. If you watch the greats like Chara Lidstrom... they never seem to do too much to kill a play. They just never make positional mistakes. It's hard to see why they are so good because they anticipate and stay in position. I don't see too many shut down defensemen out there with a lot more upside than Gorges. Other than his ACL. Who knows what will come of that.

Gorges has more intangibles than just shot blocking. He takes hits behind his goalie and comes out with the puck consistently. On two on ones and one on ones his angles and decisions are almost always correct. He doesn't take himself out of position to hit someone. Positionally he is very strong and that counts for a lot. If you watch the greats like Chara Lidstrom... they never seem to do too much to kill a play. They just never make positional mistakes. It's hard to see why they are so good because they anticipate and stay in position. I don't see too many shut down defensemen out there with a lot more upside than Gorges. Other than his ACL. Who knows what will come of that.

Not to mention that Gorges was playing at a very high level with that torn ACL for a long time! The guy is a warrior and certainly seems to be one hell of a good team mate.

Not to mention that Gorges was playing at a very high level with that torn ACL for a long time! The guy is a warrior and certainly seems to be one hell of a good team mate.

Anyone know his arbitration date? I think this is the next rung on ladder. Probably White and ST. Denis will not be signed ahead of this decision. Something like stacking boxes, if your concerned about space, the big boxes go first.

Anyone know his arbitration date? I think this is the next rung on ladder. Probably White and ST. Denis will not be signed ahead of this decision. Something like stacking boxes, if your concerned about space, the big boxes go first.

July 28

They can still accept their QO's for another four days.

There's no way the Habs even approach the cap ceiling with their RFA's. I don't think it matters what order it is done in. They'd have to give like Gorges $5m and White $1.5m or something ridiculous to be even close to the cap.

They can still accept their QO's for another four days.

There's no way the Habs even approach the cap ceiling with their RFA's. I don't think it matters what order it is done in. They'd have to give like Gorges $5m and White $1.5m or something ridiculous to be even close to the cap.

Thanx for the date. If he was contemplating accepting his qualifing offer he would not be going to arbitration. We all hope we get a long term deal done earlier so we have him for longer than a year. If you have to walk away from the ruling your best scenerio is as much cap room as you can muster. You may have to change gears.

Thanx for the date. If he was contemplating accepting his qualifing offer he would not be going to arbitration. We all hope we get a long term deal done earlier so we have him for longer than a year. If you have to walk away from the ruling your best scenerio is as much cap room as you can muster. You may have to change gears.

Oh, he won't be accepting his QO. White, St. Denis, Carle, etc. might just do that, though. I suspect White can be had for the minimum wage ($525k) if offered a one-way contract. Worked for Pyatt, D'Agostini, and Chipchura in recent years.

• 2 weeks later...

Great price, bad term. I thought they would take this opportunity to lock in a core player at a slightly reduced rate.

Oh well.

5.1 million in cap space remains... Do the Habs stand pat or aim big?

Great price, bad term. I thought they would take this opportunity to lock in a core player at a slightly reduced rate.

Oh well.

5.1 million in cap space remains... Do the Habs stand pat or aim big?

Impressive cap management considering the number of over-priced contracts they're lugging around. As for 'aiming big,' one question is whether there is any way to swing a big move that would enhance rather than re-work the core AND not surrender picks/elite young players. E.g., are there any decent UFAs left out there? A second questions is: how much do the Habs need to set aside for Price, Subban and Eller as RFAs next season and Gorges as UFA? I know RFAs generally don't get huge raises, but we may end up needing that dough to pay those guys, especially if we want to lock 'em up.

I guess Gauthier was protecting the team in light of Gorges' injury. Maybe, having taken one risk with Markov, he wasn't willing to run a second. I do hope that this hasn't dimmed Gorges's enthusiasm for playing here. A deal like that can instil in a player's mind the idea that his current affiliation is only temporary.

Great signing by Gauthier allthough it was expected, it is a relief that this is done with. But have to point out that I am a bit disappointed with the ONE year he received, and even though gauthier got him at a bargain price of 2.5 million, this could possibly be the last year Gorges will be with the habs, considering all the effort and heart he put in into this team. Its a bit of an insult to find out that the reason why he got only a 1 year deal is because of his injury, gauthier the man is a heart and soul player and a flat out warrior. Just hope it doesn't cost us in the future.

Edited by jmaac1

The number 1 and 2 PK fefense killing units in the league is signed.

This looks good.

PK

Gill-Subban

Markov- Gorges

Emelin

PP

Markov- Subban

Spacek- Weber

Pacioretty and Gorges for Craig Rivet...

Cross fngers for no bad injuries for him.

Great signing by Gauthier allthough it was expected, it is a relief that this is done with. But have to point out that I am a bit disappointed with the ONE year he received, and even though gauthier got him at a bargain price of 2.5 million, this could possibly be the last year Gorges will be with the habs, considering all the effort and heart he put in into this team. Its a bit of an insult to find out that the reason why he got only a 1 year deal is because of his injury, gauthier the man is a heart and soul player and a flat out warrior. Just hope it doesn't cost us in the future.

he did file for arbitration. maybe gorges wants out? or something.